LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 167 users in the forums

If he stays out of trouble will the 49ers pay to keep Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Very true about the division they do throw a lot more however Aldon did have 19 sacks in our division in 2012 and that was only through the first 12 weeks I believe. Once he tore his labrum he was shut out the last few weeks of that year. Good point though. I think they should just sign him now with some kind of provision in case he screws up again. You will get him a lot cheaper now then at the end of the year unless he just tanks.

The more I think about it the more it worries me. If Harold shows something which I think he will and Lynch takes the next step which I think he will and Lemonier can prove to be a quality backup this year I could see Baalke letting Aldon walk. I don't want to think about that and I believe Aldon is a supremely talented player and the best OLB in the game if his mind is right. However this isn't how the 9ers do business, now granted Aldon is unique because of the off field issues but if the 9ers don't sign him by Week 1, I think it's less than 50/50 we see him in a 9ers uniform come 2016. Unless Lynch, Harold and Corey just plain suck and Aldon is our only source of outside pressure. I guess we will see what happens I just hope something gets done by Week 1.

I always thought we would do Aldon's deal by the bye week this year. Hard to pay Aldon Houston money when he played 7 games last year with 2 sacks. He tears it up this year by the bye I see us coming to terms with him prior to having to tag him in 2016. Put it this way: If Aldon tears it up this year we are either going to 1) extend him prior to 2016 or 2) tag him and then work a deal prior to FA 2017. We have the tag as leverage for another year to get a deal done. Aldon gets 16 sacks this year we ain't letting him leave in 2017!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Very true about the division they do throw a lot more however Aldon did have 19 sacks in our division in 2012 and that was only through the first 12 weeks I believe. Once he tore his labrum he was shut out the last few weeks of that year. Good point though. I think they should just sign him now with some kind of provision in case he screws up again. You will get him a lot cheaper now then at the end of the year unless he just tanks.

The more I think about it the more it worries me. If Harold shows something which I think he will and Lynch takes the next step which I think he will and Lemonier can prove to be a quality backup this year I could see Baalke letting Aldon walk. I don't want to think about that and I believe Aldon is a supremely talented player and the best OLB in the game if his mind is right. However this isn't how the 9ers do business, now granted Aldon is unique because of the off field issues but if the 9ers don't sign him by Week 1, I think it's less than 50/50 we see him in a 9ers uniform come 2016. Unless Lynch, Harold and Corey just plain suck and Aldon is our only source of outside pressure. I guess we will see what happens I just hope something gets done by Week 1.

I think the only 2 possible scenarios we don't see Aldon in a Niners uniform in 2016 is if he doesn't play well this year (extremely unlikely), or he gets in trouble again. Other than that, I don't see a realistic scenario where he's not locked to a new contract with the Niners. He's the best pass rusher this franchise has ever had.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 15, 2015 at 6:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
I think the only 2 possible scenarios we don't see Aldon in a Niners uniform in 2016 is if he doesn't play well this year (extremely unlikely), or he gets in trouble again. Other than that, I don't see a realistic scenario where he's not locked to a new contract with the Niners. He's the best pass rusher this franchise has ever had.

Yep. Aldon gets 16 sacks this year I can guarantee he gets tagged or gets extended
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I always thought we would do Aldon's deal by the bye week this year. Hard to pay Aldon Houston money when he played 7 games last year with 2 sacks. He tears it up this year by the bye I see us coming to terms with him prior to having to tag him in 2016. Put it this way: If Aldon tears it up this year we are either going to 1) extend him prior to 2016 or 2) tag him and then work a deal prior to FA 2017. We have the tag as leverage for another year to get a deal done. Aldon gets 16 sacks this year we ain't letting him leave in 2017!

Tell you what bro we better F'n not let him get away. I don't say the 9ers better sign this guy or that guy, keep him, let him walk etc. a lot. However when it comes to Aldon it's just different. I'm a firm believer that his sack totals were down strictly because of his off field issues. I'm not one of those that believes Aldon did what he did because Justin Smith was so awesome and I'm positive as long as he stays relatively healthy and out of trouble off the field he will have more than 15+ sacks. Even last year when he wasn't getting to the QB he made a difference plus he is one of very few players who plays well against Seattle. He's a young premium talent and you just don't let premium talent walk away. He's a difference maker. You can let good players walk because they can be replaced but you build your team around difference makers. You think they franchise him though if they can't sign him? Who is the last player we franchised Julian Peterson?
Share 49ersWebzone