LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 81 users in the forums

Are you happy with the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with the draft?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
as far as armstead goes, we can hire singletary to a one day contract, pull his pants down, make him cry. that made a man out of Davis. remember how much of an immature slacker he was before that? these guys are just 21 years old, theyll mature with the right coaching

GREAT!!
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
2015 draft was impacted by 2013/2014 draft's. Look at the WR's and CB's we drafted the last 2 years.

This is the year we learn if the 2013/2014 drafts were good or not. 2013/2014 Starters/Studs: Eric Reid, Aaron Lynch, Carlos Hyde

FB: Trey Millard-RS
OG: Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas-RS
WR: Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington

DE: Quinton Dial, Tank Carridine, Kaleb Ramsey-RS, UDFA- Lawrence Okoye
LB: Nick Moody
CB: Dontae Johnson, Kenneth Acker (RS), Keith Reaser (RS)
S: Jimmie Ward

Good cal GBOY!
2015 draft was impacted by 2013/2014 draft's. Look at the WR's and CB's we drafted the last 2 years.

This is the year we learn if the 2013/2014 drafts were good or not. 2013/2014 Starters/Studs: Eric Reid, Aaron Lynch, Carlos Hyde

Looking forward to watching Milliard, Thomas, Patton and Ellington...can't wait!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
as far as armstead goes, we can hire singletary to a one day contract, pull his pants down, make him cry. that made a man out of Davis. remember how much of an immature slacker he was before that? these guys are just 21 years old, theyll mature with the right coaching

GREAT!!

coaching my brotha, coaching
Originally posted by cciowa:
I've NEVER been happy until I learn more about the players after the draft.

The first impression has always been "Why?"

Then after a number of Zoners like Phoenix, NCommand, CCiowa and other write about elements of the players that I had no idea about - my opinion changes.

So until then - I'm not satisfied but patiently waiting.

BTW, almost everyone panned the Lynch pick last year and he turned out pretty go so far.
first off wally,,,, DO NOT put me in the good smart company with nc and phoenix. i really know s**t about the x and o of football,, i know s**t about college football.. i just look at the player,, look at their history, try to see how they fit with us and the reasoning behind it. i may not know anything about our first three picks,, but i know they were taken for a reason either now or in the future. i like how this regime is forward thinking. i totally get the safety pick. erics head, betheas age , and dahl really make that a wise pick for this year and for the future. overall i just try to have a open mind about players and coaches new to our team. what they did before us means nothing to them and i will not hate till they give me a reason to. oh i said WHY about that safety pick and then in 15 minutes i totally understood..... i really said WHY about that punter pick and still am, but you know that is not going to keep me up nights and while it gives ammo to alleged niner fans who already hate the front office and team,,,, it is not a franchise killer and who knows,, maybe he will be out lee fair and square. if he does that is good for our team. someone said he could do kickoffs resting dawson but i do not know that for sure

Still respect your opinions man!

Keep them coming.

there's enough gloom and doom in the Zone and you always have a fresh upbeat perspective.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hell,yeah. We done good and those that think otherwise, prepare to get a good surprise. QB coming manana either UDFA or in 7th.

Herm edwards just dropped a nugget on ESPN. 1/3 of all starters around the league come from rounds 4-7 or UDFAs. Think on that one awhile.

That's a great stat, pasodoc. I had no idea.

Wow!
Solid, high potential picks throughout the draft. If half the guys work out it will be a great draft
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In a way I understand what Baalke was trying to do here. He is trying to get bigger, more physical and heavy hitters. The problem is the the Safety will get a lot of penalties with his style of play and the new NFL rules. Armstead is a big risk with high bust potential. He plays nowhere near his natural talent level. Usually those guys don't just turn a light on and suddenly go now that they are in the NFL. The OLB pass rusher may be good. I like that pick. I don't know about this draft overall. Guys who don't play to their potential, guys who will get a lot of penalties and lots of not positions of need.

I get the idea to get bigger and more physical. There is just a lot about this draft that may not turn out well.

I happen to think the right coaches to teach players are already here
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Looking forward to watching Milliard, Thomas, Patton and Ellington...can't wait!
would have been nice to know what we have with patton and ellington before the draft but whatever
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I've NEVER been happy until I learn more about the players after the draft.

The first impression has always been "Why?"

Then after a number of Zoners like Phoenix, NCommand, CCiowa and other write about elements of the players that I had no idea about - my opinion changes.

So until then - I'm not satisfied but patiently waiting.

BTW, almost everyone panned the Lynch pick last year and he turned out pretty go so far.
first off wally,,,, DO NOT put me in the good smart company with nc and phoenix. i really know s**t about the x and o of football,, i know s**t about college football.. i just look at the player,, look at their history, try to see how they fit with us and the reasoning behind it. i may not know anything about our first three picks,, but i know they were taken for a reason either now or in the future. i like how this regime is forward thinking. i totally get the safety pick. erics head, betheas age , and dahl really make that a wise pick for this year and for the future. overall i just try to have a open mind about players and coaches new to our team. what they did before us means nothing to them and i will not hate till they give me a reason to. oh i said WHY about that safety pick and then in 15 minutes i totally understood..... i really said WHY about that punter pick and still am, but you know that is not going to keep me up nights and while it gives ammo to alleged niner fans who already hate the front office and team,,,, it is not a franchise killer and who knows,, maybe he will be out lee fair and square. if he does that is good for our team. someone said he could do kickoffs resting dawson but i do not know that for sure

Still respect your opinions man!

Keep them coming.

there's enough gloom and doom in the Zone and you always have a fresh upbeat perspective.
i figure if things go south there will be plenty of time to b***h and complain , people just rushing to judgement on our team on may third is absurd. but of course we all know darn well the only reason they are. a certain former coach could still be coaching and they would have loved the draft. those people are sad strange little people in my opinion
For me, this is the first draft in years where I haven't followed the college season leading up to it or any of the pre-draft stuff like the combine, senior bowl etc, so I have no frame of reference for any of these picks.

I usually pay close attention to these things and develop my draft crushes and am ultimately disappointed by a few of the picks. Not this year though and it's actually kinda nice, the draft is such a crap shoot anyways, there is a lot more luck to it than most people would like to admit and getting worked up before these dudes even hit training camp is just silly.

In summation, ignorance is bliss

Ronnie LottVerified account‏@RonnieLottHOF

Great draft @49ers. I think is Trent Baalke's best draft.

9:12 AM - 3 May 2015

If Ronnie Lott likes this draft class then so do I.
would have been nice to know what we have with patton and ellington before the draft but whatever

Yes! Ellington looked like he might be special so he is the one I'm counting on for spark. Patton seems like he could be a smooth complement type WR...sort of like John Taylor. He's faster than Taylor, yet is also heavier. Ellington is deceptive...only 5'9" but 200 lbs...and quick as a cat. I was so disappointed they kept putting Lloyd and Johnson in over these two but both Patton and Ellington were dinged up for part of the year...so...
One of the worst drafts I can remember. Just wasted pick after wasted pick. We needed CB, ILB, and WR. Instead Baalke got super cute as usual and drafted guys way too high and at positions we already were set at. This draft is the perfect example of a GM falling in love with his own presumed genius of finding diamonds in the rough.
Originally posted by KingSol:
One of the worst drafts I can remember. Just wasted pick after wasted pick. We needed CB, ILB, and WR. Instead Baalke got super cute as usual and drafted guys way too high and at positions we already were set at. This draft is the perfect example of a GM falling in love with his own presumed genius of finding diamonds in the rough.

Let's see...currently there are 8 CBs on the roster...seems adequate. Brock is a starter and Johnson will likely have the lead for the other spot. Ward is a good nickle and they have five solid safeties...most of whom can play either spot. Average age of their CBs is 25.

ILB is a bit thin but they didn't like any of the guys at their spots in the draft and do evidently like Moody, Wilhoite, Skov and their two FA pickups.

WR has been addressed by T Smith, Simpson, Smelter and three UDFAs. I would have liked one of the top picks but it didn't fall that way and Baalke tends to stick to his plan.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by KegBert:
For me, this is the first draft in years where I haven't followed the college season leading up to it or any of the pre-draft stuff like the combine, senior bowl etc, so I have no frame of reference for any of these picks.

I usually pay close attention to these things and develop my draft crushes and am ultimately disappointed by a few of the picks. Not this year though and it's actually kinda nice, the draft is such a crap shoot anyways, there is a lot more luck to it than most people would like to admit and getting worked up before these dudes even hit training camp is just silly.

In summation, ignorance is bliss

Same here and I completely agree. Zero heartache right or wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone