LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

All22 Analysis - Coverages & Concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^ all of us as 49er fans had to feel so damn relieved when Owens caught that. That game was exhausting with its lead changes.
Montana had the best damn feet in football! Watching his drop it's so...fantastic!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Montana had the best damn feet in football! Watching his drop it's so...fantastic!

Watching Joe and Steve do their thing is an absolute joy. I really can't express how much I loved our offense from this time period. It really is the reason why football is my favorite sport.
Originally posted by facestabber:
^ all of us as 49er fans had to feel so damn relieved when Owens caught that. That game was exhausting with its lead changes.

He had like 4-5 drops at that point. Wouldn't even have needed it his play had he hung on to the one on the previous drive.

1998, IMO, was the last championship level offense we had. It's ashame Hearst got hurt the following week in ATL, because a SF-min NFC title game that year would've been crazy.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Watching Joe and Steve do their thing is an absolute joy. I really can't express how much I loved our offense from this time period. It really is the reason why football is my favorite sport.

Yes, but I had friends who hated the dink and dunk offense and wanted either a power running game or the Raiders' bombs away approach. For whatever reason I'd always enjoyed the precision of the short passing game. I was a huge Cincinatti fan in the late 60's early 70's before knowing who Walsh was.

The reason I point out Montana's feet though is his smooth drop and always balanced body...never a miss step. Watching almost any other QB you see more jerky moves. Even Young had a less smooth drop, though I loved him as well. Kaepernick and Young are similar to me in their movement and I think that comes from being runners. Hard for me to put into words but hope the point is there without anyone thinking I'm being negative toward CK...which is not the case.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, but I had friends who hated the dink and dunk offense and wanted either a power running game or the Raiders' bombs away approach. For whatever reason I'd always enjoyed the precision of the short passing game. I was a huge Cincinatti fan in the late 60's early 70's before knowing who Walsh was.

The reason I point out Montana's feet though is his smooth drop and always balanced body...never a miss step. Watching almost any other QB you see more jerky moves. Even Young had a less smooth drop, though I loved him as well. Kaepernick and Young are similar to me in their movement and I think that comes from being runners. Hard for me to put into words but hope the point is there without anyone thinking I'm being negative toward CK...which is not the case.

Agreed.....joe was the smoothest. It's artistic.

I think the Steve and Kap comparo is just also. Steve was able to greatly improve his footwork from '87 til '91 when he took over. I see no reason why kap can't do the same.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Agreed.....joe was the smoothest. It's artistic.

I think the Steve and Kap comparo is just also. Steve was able to greatly improve his footwork from '87 til '91 when he took over. I see no reason why kap can't do the same.

1987 - "Fake screen/TE late"
This same screen was used against Mia in SB19.

This is about the closet I could find. Had to go to the 1985 Walsh playbook.

1987 - "18/19 wide or bob/Lombardi sweep"

2015 - "shallow cross"
Note:gif and 2015 play illustration borrowed from Thl408

2015 play

1994 Niner version

Flip this play and you have the concept we used to score a red zone TD on Saturday night.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM ]

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Can't wait to see you guys crunch the film for Kaep in this preseason game. I still think he's holding the ball too long and isn't anticipating openings when he only has a tight window to throw. No one is going to always have 7 seconds to throw a pass every game. Kaep has to anticipate pressure and find his hot immediately while understanding down and distance.

I'm def looking forward to hearing what you all see from the film.
I'd like a study of Armstead.

Kap had three dropbacks so there isn't much to look at in the HOU game. There is no all22 footage available to the public for preseason games. Very hard to see what DLmen are doing because they are all blocking one another in the view from the telecast.

I'm wondering if they'll eventually let the pre-season coaches film be available on game rewind.... I sure hope so.

1992 - "Drive"
Jerry doing what Jerry does. Gotta love getting Jerry on a LBer.

[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM ]
This is a really useful thread. Thanks.

1994 - "Victory Formation"

Ask any coach their favorite formation and it's this Also.......f**k YOU DALLAS!!!
Sorry, just had to....was watching 1994 NFC title game again and all the emotions came flooding back 20+ years later. Especially considering I just recently watched the 1992 title game as well
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM ]
  • thl408
That's a good concept. Geep should run that more often. Even if they are trailing in the game, just to confuse the defense.
Share 49ersWebzone