There are 205 users in the forums

All22 Analysis - Coverages & Concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:

1992 - "Drive"
Jerry doing what Jerry does. Gotta love getting Jerry on a LBer.

Yeah but Young made that throw easier by moving to his left. Inexperienced QB's would make that throw from a straight drop a tad early and a less favorable angle.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yeah but Young made that throw easier by moving to his left. Inexperienced QB's would make that throw from a straight drop a tad early and a less favorable angle.

Young ran that play great. You can tell the 4 years as a backup ('87-'90) and this now his second full season as the starter really paid off. He really had all the nuance stuff in his game by 1992.
Originally posted by thl408:
That's a good concept. Geep should run that more often. Even if they are trailing in the game, just to confuse the defense.

Haha.....get'em thinking "this f**ker is crazy....."

Honestly though, I was rewatching the 1992 & 1994 title games and really getting into them. Don't get me started on 1992, we gave them that f**ker. By the end of the 1994 game, I just had to gif up the end......oh BTW.....f**k you DALLAS!!!!
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM ]

1996 - "Texas"
Changing it up a bit.....gonna show this classic WCO staple not with Montana to Rathman or Young to Floyd....instead lets go with the world famous connection of Grbac to "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell

1989 - "FB arrow"
I showed Texas above, FB arrow is kinda an off shoot of it. Basically the FB starts what looks like a Texas route, but whip routes out if if. However, this gif shows Joe going to the number 2 option the TE. TE is reading the defense, here Jones takes the seam/skinny post.

1989 - "Slant/corner"

Gif shows Mike Wilson really selling that slant.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 22, 2015 at 8:24 PM ]

1991 - "Double Go"

Here was Steve's number at that point before halftime.
Haha.....get'em thinking "this f**ker is crazy....."

Honestly though, I was rewatching the 1992 & 1994 title games and really getting into them. Don't get me started on 1992, we gave them that f**ker. By the end of the 1994 game, I just had to gif up the end......oh BTW.....f**k you DALLAS!!!!

That 92 game still bothers me. The 49ers got screwed.

1981 - "Sprint Option"
I showed a gif of sprint option going to the flat earlier in this thread.....well, here's the Dynasty starter. Again, this is just an incredible display of poise by Joe. This play will never get old.

I have no idea how that play was completed. Joe is fading back with tall defenders, arms raised and all in his face. And then somehow Clark snagged it out of the air. Dynasty starter for sure. The most important play in 49er history and I'm glad it came against the doucheboys.

Originally posted by facestabber:
I have no idea how that play was completed. Joe is fading back with tall defenders, arms raised and all in his face. And then somehow Clark snagged it out of the air. Dynasty starter for sure. The most important play in 49er history and I'm glad it came against the doucheboys.

Just a tremendous display of poise, because usually sprint option goes to that flat receiver 90% of the time.
Originally posted by Joecool:

1992 - "Drive"
Jerry doing what Jerry does. Gotta love getting Jerry on a LBer.

he was kinda being forced to his left too

Gif: provided by Thl408

2015 - "Y Banana"
The gif shows a variant of this concept. Instead of the normal clearing route, flanker is running more of a drag type route
Below is more of the traditional Y Banana play.

[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:04 AM ]
Here is the iconic Montana play from SB24 that was highlighted on the Super Bowl highlight film. Shows him working the concept (sticks concept) before coming back to Jerry. This is the master.

1989 - "sticks"
Here is the play art
thl408's gif

2015 - "sprint option"
Now I've shown this play a couple of times, but here's one where kap is executing it nicely

1999 - Holmgren play art

Now of course we can't run screens for s**t but here's a 1999 Holmgren play that incorporated a screen with in sprint option

Checkout the flow on the gif and see how nicely it lends it's self to sneaking that back out on a screen pass.
Share 49ersWebzone