49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 612 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So Phoenix I'm a reasonable guy here and you have to ask yourself who told the 49ers Cooper would be healthy by the start of the season? It's not like they didn't check this guy out before signing him and he was with our medical staff for months. How could we so off target for months and months? I'm a bit surprised. Additionally, when we knew we weren't going to get anything from Cooper why didn't we follow the precedent set with Gilliam by getting more help?

As Paul_Hofer has said, it's not suddenly problem, but the chain of events that got us here aren't adding up no?

Always willing to hear your feedback and others.

Please talk me down guys.


I am sure they did a medical exam on Cooper before signing him, it could just be something that lingered far more than expected and limited his ability to move the way he needs to. He might still be an option down the road but it won't be this week or next I imagine. As a Suns fan I was just tickled to find out that Devin Booker is having surgery done on his hand, a few weeks before training camp, over an injury that he had been dealing with since April, that originally nobody believed required surgery. Sometimes these things take a turn for the worse unexpectedly.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cooper still wasn't walking without limping. Did you watch him in the preseason? His lateral movement was shot.
True confessions I did not. I thought the job was his and was surprised to read he was in trouble esp after all that had been made of JG and Kyle basically calling him out. Didn't realize it was that bad. Maybe he's healed more?? ugh.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
True confessions I did not. I thought the job was his and was surprised to read he was in trouble esp after all that had been made of JG and Kyle basically calling him out. Didn't realize it was that bad. Maybe he's healed more?? ugh.

Yeah I have a hard time seeing him playing for anyone this season. He needs to rest and heal up whatever is wrong with him, at least for awhile. Maybe later on in the season if there are injuries he can be an option for someone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
i am still lol at the thought that "suddenly" the line has issues.
Still can't get over the fact that we drafted hurt guys instead of getting more OL depth.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Still can't get over the fact that we drafted hurt guys instead of getting more OL depth.

I'm assuming you're referring to Street.

Which guard would you have preferred over him?

Cole Madison-OG-Green Bay-Refused to report to the Packers. Not likely to play anytime this season.

Scott Quessenberry-OG/C-Inactive for the Chargers for their first game of the season.

Wyatt Teller-OG-Teller is someone I liked in the pre-draft process but he was an inactive for Buffalo which probably has the worst OL in football this season.

Sam Jones-OG-A nice ZBS prospect out of ASU but not a guy ready to contribute anytime soon in the NFL. He's listed as a reserve in Denver and was inactive for the first game.

Colby Gossett-OG-Cut by the Vikings. Unsure if he's on their PS or not but if the 49ers want him they can get him.

Will Clapp-OG/C-Cut by the Saints, on their PS.

Rod Taylor-OG-Torn ACL, out for year.

If either Garnett or Person are going to miss any real time I'd be all for signing Gossett, he was a nice guard in a zone heavy scheme in college but I think he may have a lot more development to do before he's game ready.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,429
I wonder if they look to bring Johnathan Cooper back? Hopefully Person or Garnett can go
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I wonder if they look to bring Johnathan Cooper back? Hopefully Person or Garnett can go

I doubt it. Its not a question of ability but availability. Cooper was moving around out there in the preseason like a 65 year old man. He's a long ways from healthy, otherwise someone would have signed him by now to be a depth piece at least.
Well, we're getting better at least.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Still can't get over the fact that we drafted hurt guys instead of getting more OL depth.

I'm assuming you're referring to Street.

Which guard would you have preferred over him?

Cole Madison-OG-Green Bay-Refused to report to the Packers. Not likely to play anytime this season.

Scott Quessenberry-OG/C-Inactive for the Chargers for their first game of the season.

Wyatt Teller-OG-Teller is someone I liked in the pre-draft process but he was an inactive for Buffalo which probably has the worst OL in football this season.

Sam Jones-OG-A nice ZBS prospect out of ASU but not a guy ready to contribute anytime soon in the NFL. He's listed as a reserve in Denver and was inactive for the first game.

Colby Gossett-OG-Cut by the Vikings. Unsure if he's on their PS or not but if the 49ers want him they can get him.

Will Clapp-OG/C-Cut by the Saints, on their PS.

Rod Taylor-OG-Torn ACL, out for year.

If either Garnett or Person are going to miss any real time I'd be all for signing Gossett, he was a nice guard in a zone heavy scheme in college but I think he may have a lot more development to do before he's game ready.

I would've moved up for Daniels.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am still lol at the thought that "suddenly" the line has issues.

Lol

You know how it goes.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 10, 2018 at 8:34 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
I would've moved up for Daniels.

Daniels is best suited to play center. The 49ers spent a whole bunch of money on a center in FA. He went to the Bears, had injury issues, is in a reserve role for now.

In the end the 49ers ended up getting a playmaking receiver in Pettis in the 2nd round. If he turns out to be as good as his upside indicates, nobody will care who else may have been available at that time.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I would at least go through the process now and not wait and see who will be available by the end of this week. Whoever they bring in will need a week to get some semblance of ready. We can get by without an answer with Detroit, but not against KC.

Depends on the medicals for Person and Garnett. If both are good to go, there is no issue. Beyond that, Coleman has some experience playing guard and I could see him figuring in there once he's learned the offense well enough.

I'm actually low key hoping that Coleman was brought in to compete at guard along with being a swing tackle. I can see him fitting in well there once he is given the opportunity.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I would've moved up for Daniels.

Daniels is best suited to play center. The 49ers spent a whole bunch of money on a center in FA. He went to the Bears, had injury issues, is in a reserve role for now.

In the end the 49ers ended up getting a playmaking receiver in Pettis in the 2nd round. If he turns out to be as good as his upside indicates, nobody will care who else may have been available at that time.

What sounds better? Daniels-McG or McG-Gilliam?
Originally posted by jreff22:
What sounds better? Daniels-McG or McG-Gilliam?

Hopefully Garnett-McG. The Bears reportedly tried moving Daniels to guard and he didn't do so hot. Let guys play where they do the best. Beyond Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith and Austin Corbett were the guards I was most psyched about and all of them went very early 2nd round. Those were the automatic starters. They went picks 33, 34 and 37. Pettis went pick 44.

After signing Cooper and having Garnett coming back, I can see why the 49ers didn't go all in on a guard and pay what it would have cost to move up that far. I don't anyone expected Cooper's injury to linger and linger on to where even now in September he's not healthy.

If Garnett and Person can't go then I think Coleman makes the most sense at right guard, that or bringing in a veteran like Austin Pasztor or Jahri Evans from off the street.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone