49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 520 users in the forums

Jim Tomsula FIRED thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
I think that as good a coach as Jim Harbaugh is, the guy just isn't a 49er... He loves coaching, but he didn't have the love for coaching the 49ers..

Each time I read about how he still plays QB for the team in practices, running around and stuff like that, makes me wonder if this guy is still pissed because he got drafted after Kelly Stouffer and Chris Miller...

or, he prolly was still pissed because the 49ers drafted Terrance Flagler ahead of him when he could learned from some guy named Joe Montana and Steve Young..
if there is anything its not that big...he had choices on where to coach before the 49ers and after
Damnit. This is just not going to fit some narratives around here.


"This is one of the best offseasons we've had since I've been here," ninth-year lineman Joe Staley said. "Everybody is very focused and excited. New coaching staff, new energy, new ideas — I think that has something to do with it as well."

Running back Kendall Hunter said of Chryst: "He's been around and knows the players. We trust him."

Another goal is to bring tight end Vernon Davis back into a play-making fold. "The first two weeks of practice, I was kind of surprised," Davis said. "It's been a while since I caught that many balls in practice. But it's been like that the entire camp."

Chryst is moving him around in the pocket more, because: "That plays to Kap's advantage. He's always been good throwing both to his left and to his right."

Kaepernick, however, got sacked a franchise-record 52 times last season, and Chryst attributed that to multiple factors.

"You always want to stay healthy on the offensive line for cohesiveness, and maybe for the first couple years, we weren't," Chryst said. "And you have to want to get the ball out. If you're vulnerable, the defense will make you cry uncle. … Yeah, we're trying to play to Kap's strengths."

Tomsula said of Chryst: "He's done a tremendous job."

Wide receivers coach Adam Henry has been putting his corps through what he called "unique" drills, all in an effort to keep their hips low for leverage purposes. That should help them get off the line of scrimmage and create separation, which has been lacking in recent years. Helping Henry and fellow assistant Ronald Curry are veterans Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith.

"Having the two vets like Boldin and Smith to learn from, if I'm a young guy, I'm happy," said Henry, noting that the receivers all need thick skin because "we love to critique each other."

"I see an amazing offensive coordinator (Geep); someone who wants to win, who's dedicated, and most importantly, he's all about the players," Vernon Davis said.

"The operative word is discernment," Logan said. "You've got a trump card available to you that some quarterbacks don't. What we need to learn is when to use the trump card and when not to. If we use the trump card too much, you'll devolve as a pocket passer. If you learn to use it at the appropriate times, you can really blossom as a pocket passer. " ...It's just, I really prefer to have that bonus attached to the quarterback position. Explosion plays -- that's where you make a living," Logan said.

In fact, Logan said he and offensive coordinator Geep Chryst would be willing to trade a high completion percentage during some games this season if the completions that Kaepernick did make were for big gains.

"He's got a boatload of gifts to work with."

The completion percentage, though, is what has Logan pumping the brakes. He would gladly sacrifice a few points off a completion percentage mark if it meant converting more "explosive" plays -- completions of at least 20 yards, in Logan's estimation.

"This young man has been in the 60-, 62-percent completion arena, which is plenty good enough to win with, and this is another thing when you start talking about quarterbacks that I'm very sensitive to," said Logan. "Explosion plays are, that's where you make your living."

"A balanced offense has the ability to respond to the present requirement," Logan said. "It's time to run the football? If we're a balanced offense, we should be able to run it. It's now time to throw the football? If we're a balanced offense we should be able to throw it. We've got some new toys to play with in Torrey Smith and Reggie Bush and getVernon Davis up and running again," Logan said. "I mean, we've got a wonderful cast of characters for Colin to work with."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive players have raved about how aggressive and unpredicatable they'll be under Eric Mangini, who was an offensive assistant the past two years before replacing defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

"I couldn't say it is going to be highly aggressive, or categorize it," said Mangini, a former head coach of the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. "We're trying to build in flexibility. As a play caller, I've blitzed 30 times and I've blitzed three times. It'll be week to week on that."

"One of the things that I believe in defensively is you have your core things that you do really well but you have to be in a position to be flexible," Mangini said. "As a play-caller, I've called games where we blitzed 30 times, and I've called games where we blitzed three times. I've always been a big believer to be game-plan specific. It's identifying what we can attack and what we have to stop. Then you have to have enough flexibility in the system to get those things done. So we'll evolve as the opponents go. But there has been really good depth built up here. If anything, the look and feel of the players is very consistent with what I've always had. (General manager) Trent (Baalke) and I were together in New York a long time ago with the Jets. So we share philosophically on what a lineman should look like, what a linebacker should look like and so on."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Chryst will call plays from up in the coaches' box, Mangini hasn't decided if he also will, having typically run defenses from the sideline.

"Well-coached teams don't have penalties," Chryst began. "We had six touchdowns nullified on penalties last year, five in the pass game and that's not good enough. You add those back in, and your 8-8 record, you can make a strong argument would have been 10-6. You can also make a strong argument that statistically that Kap was right where he was in the previous years. But the fouls happened.

"As coaches, we like to try to emphasize that as a do-right thing."

On the play clock issues: "It's like when you're driving down the street," the coach began, "you know when you're speeding and you know when you're not speeding. You don't always look down at the speedometer. So I think we're getting in and out of the huddle in such a way that we're not looking up at the clock. We're not speeding, but we're not stuck in rush-hour traffic either. We're not just fast for the sake of fast."

"Jimmy T loved the fact that I loved, and Geep Chryst loves, to push the ball down the field. Alright? So guess what...we've got some new toys to play with in Torrey Smith, Reggie Bush, get Vernon Davis up and running again, etc. We've got a wonderful cast of characters for Colin to work with...I think it will be fun to watch...completion percentage...you can take a young man and put him in an offense and really encourage him to hit the check down, hit the check down, hit the check down, and suddenly you look up and he's completing 68-70% and that's wonderful. But what did you sacrifice to get that done? We don't have any vertical passing game suddenly. So you've got to be careful with completion percentage," Steve Logan said.


http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-OC-Colin-Kaepernick-Is-Playing-with-A-Lot-of-Confidence/0e7d92f3-2dfa-4069-bc22-58e1ea8576ab

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2015/06/11/tomsulas-assistants-finally-talk-coordinators-discuss-their-new-approaches/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23805727.html#storylink=cpy

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/13754/49ers-qb-coach-steve-logan-colin-kaepernick-has-a-boatload-of-gifts

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-DC-Eric-Mangini-Talks-Philosophy-Defensive-Personnel-Changes/7fa100e7-ec7e-40a0-a6fd-8c4d7d9593e3

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Quarterback-Coach-Steve-Logan-with-The-Media/70836895-9984-4329-831e-7690d09439fa

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23819341.html
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM ]
Lets see the quotes halfway through the season.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by cciowa:
what he is supposed to say?

Bludgeon

If you score more points then the other team, you're gonna win.
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Lets see the quotes halfway through the season.

Ummm, OK.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,286
I wish I can shake Coach Stash's hand for a job well done during the OTA...

Aside wondering how he gonna deal with them dumb zebras, I'm also curious how he would handle players with attitudes on and off the field...

Tardiness.. stuff like that..
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Lets see the quotes halfway through the season.

Ummm, OK.

These fans are just going to be bitter all offseason. The cautious optimist will try to be excited for the change.


Originally posted by 9moon:
I wish I can shake Coach Stash's hand for a job well done during the OTA...

Aside wondering how he gonna deal with them dumb zebras, I'm also curious how he would handle players with attitudes on and off the field...

Tardiness.. stuff like that..

Something I've actually wondered about too. I wonder if he is gonna be a total hard ass about stuff like that. It will be interesting to see how he punishes players.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,133
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Joe Fann ‏@Joe_Fann 13m13 minutes ago

Tomsula said the #49ers will focus on 4 phases of football. Offense, defense, special teams and life skills.



8:37 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

That's awesome!
Making football fun again for the guys

yay treating grown men like kindergartners
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Joe Fann ‏@Joe_Fann 13m13 minutes ago

Tomsula said the #49ers will focus on 4 phases of football. Offense, defense, special teams and life skills.



8:37 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

That's awesome!
Making football fun again for the guys

yay treating grown men like kindergartners

Some of the behaviour would indicate they are anything but grown men. Obviously JT has been around long enough to know the guys who need a bit of guidance and those who don't. I reckon that's one of the reasons players warm to him. He's a straight shooting, no-nonsense bloke who genuinely cares about his players. Just my opinion, but that's a bigger factor in a coaching role than some may credit.
[ Edited by Zealot on Jun 11, 2015 at 5:33 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Joe Fann ‏@Joe_Fann 13m13 minutes ago

Tomsula said the #49ers will focus on 4 phases of football. Offense, defense, special teams and life skills.



8:37 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

That's awesome!
Making football fun again for the guys

yay treating grown men like kindergartners
so making them yell "whose got it better" after we get whupped by the raiders is a sign of great maturity? lol. the guys acted like they were not having fun last year and if you could somehow see through the hate you have for our team, you may be able to see that making the game fun again is a positive.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by Zealot:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Joe Fann ‏@Joe_Fann 13m13 minutes ago

Tomsula said the #49ers will focus on 4 phases of football. Offense, defense, special teams and life skills.



8:37 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

That's awesome!
Making football fun again for the guys

yay treating grown men like kindergartners

Some of the behaviour would indicate they are anything but grown men. Obviously JT has been around long enough to know the guys who need a bit of guidance and those who don't. I reckon that's one of the reasons players warm to him. He's a straight shooting, no-nonsense bloke who genuinely cares about his players. Just my opinion, but that's a bigger factor in a coaching role than some may credit.
he is also not a micromanager who has to get in the way of everything, let the coaches do their job and be a good engineer for this locomotive
  • Jiks
  • Member
  • Posts: 29,220
Originally posted by susweel:
yay treating grown men like kindergartners
.
Originally posted by susweel:
yay treating grown men like kindergartners

What does that even mean
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Joe Fann ‏@Joe_Fann 13m13 minutes ago

Tomsula said the #49ers will focus on 4 phases of football. Offense, defense, special teams and life skills.



8:37 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

That's awesome!
Making football fun again for the guys

yay treating grown men like kindergartners

When someone truly has your best interests as their motivation it's rarely received as someone talking down to you when coaching your personal life.

I see it as the 49ers just trying to help their players to be the best they can be in both their personal and professional lives. That can't be a bad thing.

I really like what I am hearing from OTA's. I am on record as having very little faith in the upcoming season, but I'd love nothing more than to shock the NFL the way we did in 11.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Damnit. This is just not going to fit some narratives around here.


"This is one of the best offseasons we've had since I've been here," ninth-year lineman Joe Staley said. "Everybody is very focused and excited. New coaching staff, new energy, new ideas — I think that has something to do with it as well."

Running back Kendall Hunter said of Chryst: "He's been around and knows the players. We trust him."

Another goal is to bring tight end Vernon Davis back into a play-making fold. "The first two weeks of practice, I was kind of surprised," Davis said. "It's been a while since I caught that many balls in practice. But it's been like that the entire camp."

Chryst is moving him around in the pocket more, because: "That plays to Kap's advantage. He's always been good throwing both to his left and to his right."

Kaepernick, however, got sacked a franchise-record 52 times last season, and Chryst attributed that to multiple factors.

"You always want to stay healthy on the offensive line for cohesiveness, and maybe for the first couple years, we weren't," Chryst said. "And you have to want to get the ball out. If you're vulnerable, the defense will make you cry uncle. … Yeah, we're trying to play to Kap's strengths."

Tomsula said of Chryst: "He's done a tremendous job."

Wide receivers coach Adam Henry has been putting his corps through what he called "unique" drills, all in an effort to keep their hips low for leverage purposes. That should help them get off the line of scrimmage and create separation, which has been lacking in recent years. Helping Henry and fellow assistant Ronald Curry are veterans Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith.

"Having the two vets like Boldin and Smith to learn from, if I'm a young guy, I'm happy," said Henry, noting that the receivers all need thick skin because "we love to critique each other."

"I see an amazing offensive coordinator (Geep); someone who wants to win, who's dedicated, and most importantly, he's all about the players," Vernon Davis said.

"The operative word is discernment," Logan said. "You've got a trump card available to you that some quarterbacks don't. What we need to learn is when to use the trump card and when not to. If we use the trump card too much, you'll devolve as a pocket passer. If you learn to use it at the appropriate times, you can really blossom as a pocket passer. " ...It's just, I really prefer to have that bonus attached to the quarterback position. Explosion plays -- that's where you make a living," Logan said.

In fact, Logan said he and offensive coordinator Geep Chryst would be willing to trade a high completion percentage during some games this season if the completions that Kaepernick did make were for big gains.

"He's got a boatload of gifts to work with."

The completion percentage, though, is what has Logan pumping the brakes. He would gladly sacrifice a few points off a completion percentage mark if it meant converting more "explosive" plays -- completions of at least 20 yards, in Logan's estimation.

"This young man has been in the 60-, 62-percent completion arena, which is plenty good enough to win with, and this is another thing when you start talking about quarterbacks that I'm very sensitive to," said Logan. "Explosion plays are, that's where you make your living."

"A balanced offense has the ability to respond to the present requirement," Logan said. "It's time to run the football? If we're a balanced offense, we should be able to run it. It's now time to throw the football? If we're a balanced offense we should be able to throw it. We've got some new toys to play with in Torrey Smith and Reggie Bush and getVernon Davis up and running again," Logan said. "I mean, we've got a wonderful cast of characters for Colin to work with."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive players have raved about how aggressive and unpredicatable they'll be under Eric Mangini, who was an offensive assistant the past two years before replacing defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

"I couldn't say it is going to be highly aggressive, or categorize it," said Mangini, a former head coach of the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. "We're trying to build in flexibility. As a play caller, I've blitzed 30 times and I've blitzed three times. It'll be week to week on that."

"One of the things that I believe in defensively is you have your core things that you do really well but you have to be in a position to be flexible," Mangini said. "As a play-caller, I've called games where we blitzed 30 times, and I've called games where we blitzed three times. I've always been a big believer to be game-plan specific. It's identifying what we can attack and what we have to stop. Then you have to have enough flexibility in the system to get those things done. So we'll evolve as the opponents go. But there has been really good depth built up here. If anything, the look and feel of the players is very consistent with what I've always had. (General manager) Trent (Baalke) and I were together in New York a long time ago with the Jets. So we share philosophically on what a lineman should look like, what a linebacker should look like and so on."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Chryst will call plays from up in the coaches' box, Mangini hasn't decided if he also will, having typically run defenses from the sideline.

"Well-coached teams don't have penalties," Chryst began. "We had six touchdowns nullified on penalties last year, five in the pass game and that's not good enough. You add those back in, and your 8-8 record, you can make a strong argument would have been 10-6. You can also make a strong argument that statistically that Kap was right where he was in the previous years. But the fouls happened.

"As coaches, we like to try to emphasize that as a do-right thing."

On the play clock issues: "It's like when you're driving down the street," the coach began, "you know when you're speeding and you know when you're not speeding. You don't always look down at the speedometer. So I think we're getting in and out of the huddle in such a way that we're not looking up at the clock. We're not speeding, but we're not stuck in rush-hour traffic either. We're not just fast for the sake of fast."

"Jimmy T loved the fact that I loved, and Geep Chryst loves, to push the ball down the field. Alright? So guess what...we've got some new toys to play with in Torrey Smith, Reggie Bush, get Vernon Davis up and running again, etc. We've got a wonderful cast of characters for Colin to work with...I think it will be fun to watch...completion percentage...you can take a young man and put him in an offense and really encourage him to hit the check down, hit the check down, hit the check down, and suddenly you look up and he's completing 68-70% and that's wonderful. But what did you sacrifice to get that done? We don't have any vertical passing game suddenly. So you've got to be careful with completion percentage," Steve Logan said.


http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-OC-Colin-Kaepernick-Is-Playing-with-A-Lot-of-Confidence/0e7d92f3-2dfa-4069-bc22-58e1ea8576ab

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2015/06/11/tomsulas-assistants-finally-talk-coordinators-discuss-their-new-approaches/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23805727.html#storylink=cpy

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/13754/49ers-qb-coach-steve-logan-colin-kaepernick-has-a-boatload-of-gifts

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-DC-Eric-Mangini-Talks-Philosophy-Defensive-Personnel-Changes/7fa100e7-ec7e-40a0-a6fd-8c4d7d9593e3

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Quarterback-Coach-Steve-Logan-with-The-Media/70836895-9984-4329-831e-7690d09439fa

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article23819341.html

More great stuff added here. You can REALLY start to get a feel for what this offense and defense is going to look like. Great stuff. Exciting.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone