LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 161 users in the forums

Has our window closed?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jim Harbaugh will be missed... but regardless when healthy the 49ers have a Super Bowl caliber roster.... Vic Fangio is great at defensive coordinator Greg Roman needs to be fired ASAP Time for a new offense system ...... And beside of all the BS that been going on we still had a top ranked defense this season are young rookie talent at Linebacker is on the rise to be coming great linebackers like Chris Borland......... and Aaron Lynch on pass rush.. Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch are on the rise to becoming great linebackers and to add a healthy NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis back next seanson we have good deapth at linebacker....... as for Kaepernick got a lot of potential he just needs to work this offseason on improving his mechanics footwork and his throwing accuracy and he will be a great quarterback. Get rid of Greg roman and get a better offensive coordinator and start a new offensive system When healthy our offensive line is top ranked in the NFL so in the off-season I would like to see Greg Roman gone!a
[ Edited by 49ers201 on Dec 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
All this talk about windows is stupid in the modern NFL. There's so much parity that even the worst teams are only a year or two away from contending.

Every season since the playoffs went to 12 teams, at least 4 teams have made the playoffs that didn't make it the previous season.

I think that the very parity you're talking about makes the case for there being such thing as a "window". Things can change so rapidly in a single season. Teams rise and fall and you only have a little time to make what use you can out of what little you have because of the way the NFL works.
Nope. Should have the #1 defense next year and just need an average offense points-wise. A dynamic return man and ST focus would be nice too.

Should only be a 2-4 loss team next year especially with extra time to heal and rest after 3 grueling post seasons.
Heck no. We have an all pro IR team along with several rookies that were drafted for next year. Add that to our young players who preformed well this season and a strong off season and we might be better than ever.
Like I said in the Harbaugh thread:

With a top 3 (probably #1 next year) defense, we'd win 7-8 games alone (like THIS year). Throw in an average offense (points-wise) and that's 3-4 more wins easily making us an instant playoff team (10-12 wins).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

With a top 3 (probably #1 next year) defense, we'd win 7-8 games alone (like THIS year). Throw in an average offense (points-wise) and that's 3-4 more wins easily making us an instant playoff team (10-12 wins).

I agree with this for sure. The next coach will stat with a top 3 defense and a strong enough offense (if they use it right ) to win 10 games for sure. Add to that hopefully none or few off field and internal distractions and things could be great for us.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Most likely closed IMO.

I think we have more weak links on O than our front office will admit...I see a lot of the same problems next year without drastic changes.
the window is kind of half closed. if we do end up winning it in the next 2-3 seasons, it will be with a bunch of guys who werent around for the 2011-2013 teams. so technically to me it would be like a new window opening.
Originally posted by TyCore:
Most likely closed IMO.

I think we have more weak links on O than our front office will admit...I see a lot of the same problems next year without drastic changes.

Like...?

Originally posted by crabman82:
the window is kind of half closed. if we do end up winning it in the next 2-3 seasons, it will be with a bunch of guys who werent around for the 2011-2013 teams. so technically to me it would be like a new window opening.

This!
Seems this question keeps popping up whenever the Niners struggle...why, I'm not sure. Most teams struggle from time to time...that's no reason to push the panic button. Good organizations find ways to remain in contention, and I have no doubts the Niners will do the same thing. I know a lot of fans are shooting arrows at the front office, but that's not fair. I keep using Seattle as a comparison...Pete Carroll and his GM Scheider are pretty much in lockstep and it's paying off for them. Baalke and Harbaugh just aren't on the same page, enough so that TB and Jed York feel a change is necessary. Sometimes these things happen...but life will go on and the team will rebound. There's too much veteran leadership to let 2014 deter them from pursuing another SB. Look at the talent on the now 18-man IRL...and those who are on the non-football injury list. Think about the caliber of players Baalke will be able to draft from somewhere in the middle of the pack. Think about a head coach that's on the same page w/Baalke. Think about a head coach who can make adjustments and hire an OC who can bring out the best in Kap and the offense. I'm thankful for Coach Harbaugh and what he's brought to our team...but, given the circumstances, it's probably time for a change. That doesn't have to be a bad thing...just different and potentially very good for the Niners.

I think this window is wide open. Looking at the NFC, is there a team that anyone truly fears? Even Seattle doesn't look as good IMO. If Baalke gets the right coach and we have another good draft (higher draft picks + an already talented team), we should be in contention. Not too mention, we should have a softer schedule due to finishing third.
Originally posted by NCommand:

that and the easier schedule we will have being the 4th place team in the nfc west, all our players returning to health and hopefully hitting on a couple studs in the draft. we should bounce back next year with a vengeance
We'll have our answer next year with potentially 5+ new starters. I don't anticipate as much turnover the following years, so whatever direction we go next year is probably the same direction we'll be headed for the next few years.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Our D can still give us a couple more years if we can get our Offense to catch up immediately. If not it's good as closed!
The optimist in me says our window is still open with our all-pro IR (and draft picks) coming back next season.

The pessimist in me says our window is closed with a young Seattle (and Arizona and StL) in our division. Too many questions on offense and coaching to make me feel too confident. And our non homefield advantage stadium.
Share 49ersWebzone