LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Originally posted by Ottawa49er:
It's a legit question actually. It's fairly obvious that the offense should be better, but not so obvious that the defense will be. I like the fact that the defense will be younger and faster, but we might not reap the benefits of that on week one....it might take awhile for everyone to gel and for the newbie's to get used to the speed of the NFL. I do think that we win the NFC West this year though, so as long as we gel by December than #6 here we come!!!!!

I agree that it will take time for Ward, Bethea, Cook, Johnson, etc. will take some time to gel, no doubt. Let's hope Ward picks up his role as quickly as Reid did. For Cook and Johnson, they may not have a higher learning curve if they play press (vs. our off coverage schemes). Bethea is a very savy veterans so I don't anticipate him taking too long to adjust esp, if we can continue to play to his strengths. But overall, you're right...chemistry is very important in the secondary and for a few of these guys, it will take a bit of time. I'm not worried at all about Brock, Culliver, Wright, Cox or Morris.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
This and don't forget those "redshirts", Carrdine and more importantly Lattimore. Offensively our weapons are scarier than Seattle's or anyone else in the league. We have talent and depth. Yes Harvin, is an impact player but odds are he plays 10 or less games this year.

we also have red shirted for next year. i really like that long term thinking, planning and strategy. to many fans get caught up in year to year. the big picture and long term success needs to be kept in mind all the time, in my opinion. they are making sure this team is built for a deep playoff run every year and now a days in todays nfl, that is the best you can hope for. let the other teams foolishly fritter away their money and their future on that one or two big stars with the big names and the flashy ribbons and bows. with this strategy we are making the sure the infamous "window:" is always open
Offense yes, without a doubt. Defense, jury still out. On Dline yes, OLB yes. ILB probably not just be ause bowman is on the mend. CB, probably not. Culliver can probably ball as good as T Brown or Rogers but we don't have a locked in 3rd corner after that like we did last year. I know ward is nickel, not what I mean. Safety position jury is out as to how Whitner loss will mean. Betheal (sp?) should be decent and Ward should contribute.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
Offense yes, without a doubt. Defense, jury still out. On Dline yes, OLB yes. ILB probably not just be ause bowman is on the mend. CB, probably not. Culliver can probably ball as good as T Brown or Rogers but we don't have a locked in 3rd corner after that like we did last year. I know ward is nickel, not what I mean. Safety position jury is out as to how Whitner loss will mean. Betheal (sp?) should be decent and Ward should contribute.

in my opinion we upgrade with our new vet safety. we now have two safeties , along with the kid, who tackle well and in case of our new vet, he will not make drive extending penalties. like whitner he is a good locker room person and great team mate so we are better due to the tackling and lack of 15 yard penalties in my opinion
The OL will be better if for no other reason than Iupati and Davis played hurt all year, and Goodwin was a year past retirement but was still playing. I expect the OL to be MUCH better.

The DL should be better because the arrival of Tank and Dial and the development of Dorsey, Williams, and TJE. People keep saying how the 49ers DL is old, but after Smith and McDonald there is a lot of young talent.

The battle at corner is going to be brutal and competition can only make them better.
Originally posted by Youngone:

Fair on Culliver but Wright was our #3 last year and Cox was our #4. Both still are with us and Wright will now have a full off season now his belt. Plus we added two press CB's in Cook and Johnson and have more nickle depth in Acker, Morris, etc. People seem to forget that Brock beat out both Brown and Rogers for a starting roll. This means the coaching staff thought he was better (and he was). IF Culliver regains form, he will excel in this new secondary scheme and esp. with the added pressure and depth in the front 7 (i.e. Carradine, Williams inside, Lemonier, Skuta, Lynch, etc.). No longer do we need to worry as much about an oft- nicked-up McDonald, an aging Smith and nobody to trust behind him, depth at NT, OLB, etc. Good times.
I think that the offense will look different this year. I think that as long as Kaep plays to his abilities the receiving corps will do the rest. The Green Bay game last year showed what this offense can do when Romans got his head screwed on right. The defense is going to be top 10 imo while we wait for Bowman and Aldon. After they return I expect the league to fear this defense.
NC's extensive summary last page couldn't be better put. And OREGON, I disagree with your dings. As NC added so nicely, we are just better across the board. And the worry at CB? I just don't see all of those guys not making it and Ward is going to start in the nickel and will be right there if asked to play SS. Plus, he plays slot and press corner. DL , OL, LBs, backup QB, RBs, FBs, and good Lord, WRs whether thru trade or draft are a dangerous crew this yr, and we have plenty to allow for injury.

Oregon I noted the areas you thot otherwise, but I just see a way better, way deeper team everywhere this yr.

You know who I think is on the cusp this yr? Roman. yup, roman. If he can't call a decent O this yr, I can see him going before midseason. It is like "if you can't call plays that go for this crew, then you can't call plays period". He either gets better...or he goes.

Really nice summary a page or two back NC.

And HELL yes, we are not just better but WAY better. How many guys drafted redshirts last yr who will be out there this yr? Yeah, not many...if any at all. Most teams were just trying to fill holes. Trent was drafting for CBs, S, C and ended up with a boatload of talent and I am betting all 3 CBs play this yr and WARD is playing initially in the nickel.
The Niners' backups are better. The starters are about the same.
NC's one of my favorite posters in Ninertalk, but he was optimistic. That and his knowledge and insight is what makes him such a good poster though.

Yes, we have added depth, but I don't see them anywhere close to filling the shoes of MVP 1a or 1b on defense. All I see on defense is depth delaying the inevitable with the hopes that Carradine steps up or a late round pick/developmental player surprises us. Lemonier was rated the best rookie pass rusher. Hopefully that reflects inherent talent and not being surrounded by a top-tier defense.

Long term, I think we're good. But, barring any surprises, I don't see how the defense is an upgrade next season, at least through the first half of the season. And I think we're going to have trouble, more than we have in the last couple seasons, generating a pass rush with just our d-line.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Very simplistic way of seeing it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
The OL will be better if for no other reason than Iupati and Davis played hurt all year, and Goodwin was a year past retirement but was still playing. I expect the OL to be MUCH better.

The DL should be better because the arrival of Tank and Dial and the development of Dorsey, Williams, and TJE. People keep saying how the 49ers DL is old, but after Smith and McDonald there is a lot of young talent.

The battle at corner is going to be brutal and competition can only make them better.

more and perhaps better depth on the o line scoots? i think our starting center will be our rookie!
I know most of the board loves to hate on Goodwin but he solidified a shaky center position while he was here. There is a question mark at center with kilgore or martin. It wasn't that long ago, pre-goodwin, that it was common to frequently see our center pushed back into the QB or RB. The additions of RB's to spell Gore and Johnson will only help if the center can play as good if not better than Goodwin.

On defense there are a couple of question marks. Who is going to step up their game on the DL? One or two of the young guys need to step up so cowboy and mcdonald can play at a high level towards the end of the season. Right now there is a cliff like drop off when those two aren't playing. Terrell Brown and Carlos Rodgers played well. I hope whoever steps in can play up to their level.

Lastly, the last question mark is Kap. Is this the year that kap finally starts to make better reads and decisions after his first read? Will kap get the ball on time to his 2nd or 3rd read?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Very simplistic way of seeing it.

but very true. ck is a starter who will be better at the start of the year than what he was at the end of the year,,, and that is no knock on the way he played at the end of the year. i totally doubt the older guys like justin and gore falter. I think they maintain their play and leadership.the kids who played last year like the lemon man will be better to
Better? Yes!
Share 49ersWebzone