LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

FA Noteable Additions:
Stevie Johnson WR
Antoine Bethea SS

FA Noteable Subtractions:
Carlos Rogers CB
Tarel Brown CB
Donte Whitner SS
Jonathan Goodwin C

Noteable Draftees:
Jimmie Ward S/CB
Carlos Hyde RB
Chris Borland MLB
Marcus Martin C
Dontae Johnson CB
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
FA Noteable Additions:
Stevie Johnson WR
Antoine Bethea SS

FA Noteable Subtractions:
Carlos Rogers CB
Tarel Brown CB
Donte Whitner SS
Jonathan Goodwin C

Noteable Draftees:
Jimmie Ward S/CB
Carlos Hyde RB
Chris Borland MLB
Marcus Martin C
Dontae Johnson CB

Bethea is a better safety than Whif-ner was.
Stevie Johnson is a HUGE upgrade, if anything I think our offense is head over heels better than it was last year.
Our defense got some big upgrades as well, Ward will be a upgrade over Rogers, and I think Aaron Lynch is going to surprise a lot of people.
Considering we went into the start of the season with Kyle Williams as our number two reciever I would say so. Remember when we all thought Marlon Moore was actually going to contribute. Lol. Talent wise were stacked. It's going to come down to whether or not our coaching takes advantage of that talent.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
How is this even a question? You could argue that every vacant position this offseason was filled with an upgrade, and the team added substantial depth. There's a good chance that we're better at literally every single position group going into this season, with the only real question being center.
[ Edited by Disp on May 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Considering we went into the start of the season with Kyle Williams as our number two reciever I would say so. Remember when we all thought Marlon Moore was actually going to contribute. Lol. Talent wise were stacked. It's going to come down to whether or not our coaching takes advantage of that talent.
i was the president of the marlon moore fan club . was i ever that young?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its actually worse because no Bowman right now, and Justin is older, also no proven Center, and our CBs are worse.
Our offense is much better with Stevie Johnson, Lattimore, and Hyde. All three of those guys can be difference makers. Brandon Lloyd gives us the depth at reciever that we haven't had in a very long time.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
This year our offense is better. Defense yet to be determined.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i was the president of the marlon moore fan club . was i ever that young?
lol. Coaches actually sat his ass out in preseason games as if he was some special talent to protect.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its actually worse because no Bowman right now, and Justin is older, also no proven Center, and our CBs are worse.

You raise valid points (aside from the CB situation...losing Rogers was the classic case of addition by subtraction). If you're going to count the Bowman injury against this year's roster, you have to count the Crabtree injury against last year's roster. My gut says the loss of Bowman will be felt a bit less by this year's team than the loss of Crabtree was felt by last year's team.

QB - Same
RB - Stronger
OL - Same
WR - Much Stronger
DL - Same
LB - Weaker to begin with until Aldon and Bowman return
DB - Weaker to begin with until the new blood is integrated. Should finish stronger.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

You raise valid points (aside from the CB situation...losing Rogers was the classic case of addition by subtraction). If you're going to count the Bowman injury against this year's roster, you have to count the Crabtree injury against last year's roster. My gut says the loss of Bowman will be felt a bit less by this year's team than the loss of Crabtree was felt by last year's team.

Offense is better but the defense is not IMO.

Center could end up being a major upgrade, there's a reason why Goodwin is unsigned.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

This.

If we can play without Willis or Aldon then we can play without Bowman.
[ Edited by Young2Rice4TD on May 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM ]
  • Arson
  • Veteran
remember we had no crabtree at this time last year.
Share 49ersWebzone