There are 160 users in the forums

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Without question
based on health alone we're better off. last year at this time we had Crabs, Manningham, Hunter & Williams all injured or questionable to start the season, not to mention Carradine , Lattimore or Dial.
Ask me again whether we actually get production or not later on.
I think we're better for sure. Our WR group last year was a joke. A healthy Crabs, Boldin, Johnson and Ellington in the mix? Definitely upgraded. Carlos Hyde will add depth. Center should be upgraded as well with Martin on board. TE remains the same but VMcD should be a year better.

Defense will be the question with Bathea taking over for Whitner, Tarell Brown leaving, Aldon's situation remaining fluid and Bowman out. I like our defensive players, but still a lot of young, unproven guys like Carradine, Wilhoite/Borland at ILB, Jimmy Ward, who we'll be relying on. Can't wait to see what guys like Lemonier and Wilhoite can do. Skov could be a nice surprise. I do think our veterans will play a big role in bringing the young guys along and up to speed. May be a bit shaky but we should be fine. Just need to be tested.
Offensively - Yes. Most talent we've had in the last decade, without a doubt. I'm expecting a top 5 offense in Yds and Ppg. Assuming G-Ro utilizes the talent properly, I don't see too many defenses having success against us, including the Seachickens.

Defensively - Yes. Should still be a top 5 defense, maybe even top 3 considering the depth we will have. Whitner and Rogers positions have been upgraded IMO. Hurts that we won't have Bowman for most of the regular season but his position will be filled in nicely until his return. I feel BEASTLY seasons coming from P52 and Reid.

Special teams - Yes. Dawson & Lee will continue to be awesome. I think Ellington will provide a nice spark in the return game. Coverage units should be solid.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Disp:
How is this even a question? You could argue that every vacant position this offseason was filled with an upgrade, and the team added substantial depth. There's a good chance that we're better at literally every single position group going into this season, with the only real question being center.

Some could argue That Brock and Cully are not IMMEDIATE upgrades over Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers. Some could argue Bethea is not an upgrade over Whitner. Some could argue Kilgore or Martin is not an IMMEDIATE upgrade over Goodwin.

I think the question is valid.

I think it's valid as well...however I think this is the most stacked roster in the Harbaugh era. Mind you though, some of this will be Contingent on Ward panning out, Culliver returning to form and Martin/Kilgore. If it works out the way I think/hope it will, they have upgraded across the board.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I don't think so. Anytime you lose veterans that have been on your squad there's that lost of continuity. I also think that Navarros injury and another added year for Frank Gore and Cowboy will be something we have to adjust to. On the positive side it's another year of experience for our young players. CK should really benefit from it.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by crabman82:
bethea and whitner been in the league the same amount of time and bethea is almost exactly 1 year older than whitner. lets not forget whitner was complete trash in buffalo and a complete bust as a top 10 pick. give bethea a chance with our crew before we act like he has nothing in the tank.

Whitner wasn't "trash" in Buffalo, definitely not compared to the rest of the team. There were some that considered him a top 10-15 safety.

Whitner and Bethea are about the same in run support, I think Whitner is better but if you wanna argue that I'm cool with it. Bethea is straight up trash in pass coverage. Bethea (PFF rated 70/86) is to Whitner's (5/86) pass coverage what Whitner (84/86) is to Bethea's ability to limit penaties (top 10).

We break even at best.

I think it was a given that Bethea had an off year in coverage last season, but before that he was much better. Whitner has always been questionable in coverage, but I felt that he really stepped it up here and played very well in coverage....right up until the biggest games and then he reverted back to form.
PWill is going to play inspired football and put the team on his back like he used too
Originally posted by cciowa:
more and perhaps better depth on the o line scoots? i think our starting center will be our rookie!

Yes, but last year we had an ancient Goodwin at C with Kilgore/Snyder behind him with Iupati and Davis playing essentially all year with significant injury issues. Now we have another year of practice for a more athletic than Goodwin Kilgore. Looney, if he makes the team, has another year of practice. Snyder we can hope will be beaten out by ... anybody ... and any time a vet loses a spot to a younger player it improves the team. Jonathan Martin has more potential than Snyder ever had and can play OT and OG so we actually have a backup OT this year unlike last year when Boone was the backup OT. Add to that the impressive rookie C Martin and Marquardt and Bykowski looking to take whatever room they can grab. The ONLY thing the OL lost was Goodwin while they gained experience, health, and young talent everywhere else.

QB - Slightly Improved (d/t experience & training, better depth)
RB - Much Stronger (add Lattimore and Hyde)
OL - Deeper, younger (added Martin & Martin C & T)
WR - Much Stronger
TE - Slightly Improved (McDonald improvement)
DL - ~Same (add Caradine and Dial)
LB - Weaker to begin with until Aldon and Bowman return (Borland will help, and LB should end up better)
DB - Improved. Added Ward, Bethea, Culliver and Johnson are equal or upgrades

The offense should be much better (depending on play calling).
Defense is younger and should end the season improved.
Big time comp for roster spots, even last years picks aint guarrented nothing,
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Adam Snyder doesn't make the team this year because of the upgrades on the OL. Jonathan Martin will have a chance to compete at all back-up slots on the OL except center.

And I couldn't be happier!
in a sense, but we did lose a lot in our secondary. those were 3 starters that had good chemistry together on the field. i think early on we're gonna see the impact of losing those guys, but once we get around the end of the regular season our secondary should be strong.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Big time comp for roster spots, even last years picks aint guarrented nothing,
Agreed it's going to be interesting!
Share 49ersWebzone