LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Pass Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Short week with travel didn't help. At the end of the year too, so players are beat up and weary. It is obvious that the 49ers play it safe on defense ... bend don't break. I wouldn't expect that to change, and just hope that the 4 max pass rush can somehow come alive for the playoffs, or that they can scheme pressure somehow.
It's hard to come alive when the o line has 5 guys blocking. I think the days of seeing Cowboy run through 2 blockers and sack qb's wiht one arm are gone. Gonna need to scheme up some pressure.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I watched Carolina sack Matt Ryan 9 times yesterday in the 10 am game. I was thinking gee I wish the Niners had a pass rush like that. Good QB's will complete passes if they have time, simple as that.

Very true and even though we only sacked Matt Ryan once, and he still had Gonzo, White, Douglass and Jackson, they still couldn't score enough points to beat us. At the end of the day, stats aren't what wins games, points do and we have allowed almost 800 yards passing in two weeks and still won the game. I'll take that all the way a sixth Lombardi trophy if that's what it takes

Please, both Atlanta and the Cards could have easily beat us, it came down to two clutch plays at the very end that lifted us to a W. Better teams (Panthers, Seahawks) would have beaten us.

And if the pass rush continues to regress and is a no show, we'll be watching the Super Bowl at home. Heck, one of the big reasons our 6th Lombardi isn't in the trophy case is because our pass rush went AWOL, Fluko had all day to throw and lit up our secondary.

I'm very concerned and I'm just hoping this was a temporary dip and they'll bounce back next Sunday. We need them to be 100% !
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I watched Carolina sack Matt Ryan 9 times yesterday in the 10 am game. I was thinking gee I wish the Niners had a pass rush like that. Good QB's will complete passes if they have time, simple as that.

Very true and even though we only sacked Matt Ryan once, and he still had Gonzo, White, Douglass and Jackson, they still couldn't score enough points to beat us. At the end of the day, stats aren't what wins games, points do and we have allowed almost 800 yards passing in two weeks and still won the game. I'll take that all the way a sixth Lombardi trophy if that's what it takes

Please, both Atlanta and the Cards could have easily beat us, it came down to two clutch plays at the very end that lifted us to a W. Better teams (Panthers, Seahawks) would have beaten us.

And if the pass rush continues to regress and is a no show, we'll be watching the Super Bowl at home. Heck, one of the big reasons our 6th Lombardi isn't in the trophy case is because our pass rush went AWOL, Fluko had all day to throw and lit up our secondary.

I'm very concerned and I'm just hoping this was a temporary dip and they'll bounce back next Sunday. We need them to be 100% !

Lemonier and Skuta FTW! On a serious note, it is a concern but we are all completely ignoring the fact that there are MANY things that can be done in the secondary to help the pass rush as well. Many times the rush is getting there but a 1/2 second too late. QB's are passing VERY quickly @ 2 and 2.5 seconds. But why? B/c they CAN! Off coverage, huge cushions, perpetual, free, clean releases by all receivers, 1/2 efforts, pre-snap confusion, etc. While each unit can help each other, it appears to me that we aren't exactly adjusting here at all when we are clearly getting beat.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lemonier and Skuta FTW! On a serious note, it is a concern but we are all completely ignoring the fact that there are MANY things that can be done in the secondary to help the pass rush as well. Many times the rush is getting there but a 1/2 second too late. QB's are passing VERY quickly @ 2 and 2.5 seconds. But why? B/c they CAN! Off coverage, huge cushions, perpetual, free, clean releases by all receivers, 1/2 efforts, pre-snap confusion, etc. While each unit can help each other, it appears to me that we aren't exactly adjusting here at all when we are clearly getting beat.
Which once again comes down to the staff vs personnel. Is Fangio the main reason for lack adjusments? Or is it the players? Or is this group of corners? Who really don't have much speed and might not be able to recover playing bump and run or just being up on wr's more. It could very well be that they don't have the talent to do what Arizona/Seattle can do with Peterson/Sherman.
the offense only ran 59 plays.

the defense was on the field for 70+ snaps.

that alone effects the effectiveness of the defense.
We need more pressure. I'm not smart enough to tell Fangio how to do that. Do we blitz more? Should we try more substitutions in order to keep guys fresher for critical situations late in games? Give Lemonier a series or two? I know I like me a cornerback or safety blitz once in a while just to keep teams thinking bout it. For giving up 400 yds. passing they only scored 20 pts., so that's pretty good right? At least the pass is predictable. Now we just need a couple of drive killing sacks and were good.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Which once again comes down to the staff vs personnel. Is Fangio the main reason for lack adjusments? Or is it the players? Or is this group of corners? Who really don't have much speed and might not be able to recover playing bump and run or just being up on wr's more. It could very well be that they don't have the talent to do what Arizona/Seattle can do with Peterson/Sherman.

I don't know either...but if you figure it out, I'll give you a red/gold sticker!

I'm not sure if we need to play more "physical" at the LOS as much as get up closer to the LOS and at least appear to a QB that his WR is not automatically open with a 10 yard cushion...mix it up. Some off-coverage is fine for certain complex schemes esp. if we plan to undercut routes, disguise coverages, etc. But it seems like we just play pretty, straight-up vanilla no matter what. We don't do what many teams do and play matchups...play our best DB on a teams best WR or TE throughout. And the constant clean releases doesn't seem to be helping us at all. We've seen some huge yards given up by this secondary all last year in the playoffs and a few times this year. I hope Fangio has a contigency plan and uses it next time a QB starts to get on a roll.
With the way our D is designed all we need is a shutdown CB, Aldon would get 10+ sacks every yr
Originally posted by lamontb:

I don't know either...but if you figure it out, I'll give you a red/gold sticker!

I'm not sure if we need to play more "physical" at the LOS as much as get up closer to the LOS and at least appear to a QB that his WR is not automatically open with a 10 yard cushion...mix it up. Some off-coverage is fine for certain complex schemes esp. if we plan to undercut routes, disguise coverages, etc. But it seems like we just play pretty, straight-up vanilla no matter what. We don't do what many teams do and play matchups...play our best DB on a teams best WR or TE throughout. And the constant clean releases doesn't seem to be helping us at all. We've seen some huge yards given up by this secondary all last year in the playoffs and a few times this year. I hope Fangio has a contigency plan and uses it next time a QB starts to get on a roll.

Its NOT a big deal we don't blitz much during the season if you really watch the games but when we do we are effective expect more blitzes come playoffs
The San Francisco 49ers don't often blitz. In fact, since the start of last season, they have the lowest blitz rate of any team in the NFL.

However, when it comes to Aaron Rodgers, the 49ers are aggressive on the blitz, which means they rush five or more defenders. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers continue to put pressure on Rodgers on Sunday when the two teams meet in a wild-card game at Green Bay.

Rodgers usually fares well against the blitz but not against the 49ers. Since Jim Harbaugh took over the 49ers in 2011, they are 3-0 against the Packers.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers' Total QBR against the 49ers when blitzed in the past three meetings is 8.0. In Week 1 this season, Rodgers was 1-for-6 with an interception when blitzed by Vic Fangio's defense.

Typically, Fangio doesn't like to blitz. His team has blitzed 17.9 percent of the time since the start of last season. It's something about that Fangio blitz that gets to Rodgers. Since the start of last season, he has completed 59.5 percent of his passes and averaged 8.1 yards per attempt against every other blitz. Those numbers fall to 52.8 percent and 4.4 yards against the 49ers.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/3913/will-49ers-continue-to-blitz-rodgers

Atlanta scored 24 but gave up a late pick 6, so give them 17 points for all those passing yards.........Arizona threw a INT which we scored a short TD on., so they scored 20 points (minus the easy TD they gave us they scored 13 points) for all those yards..........17 points and 13 points, our defense is STILL playing well
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

man please what is this easily beat us nonsense? lmao
we should have blown them out. and if the offense didn't stall we would have. remember it was 17-0? we got a turnover remember?

the panthers put up 10 points how are they going to score?

the seahawks put up 3 scoring drives

when we don't turn the ball over we in. that's as simple as it gets.

the defense is fine. i guess we're going to act like we didn't beat the falcons who played the game like it was their mission to ruin our season... and who the panthers beat by 1 point.

and the cardinals fresh off of beating the seahawks. winning 7 out of 8 games.. a 10 win team #1 rush defense in the nfl and you're talking about better teams? lol

we lost the super bowl because the defense wasn't play well in 1st half's last season simple as that.

and we were injured up front.

both of those things aren't true for this run.

and we lost because we didn't run the ball 3 straight times from the 5 yard line.

that's why we lost
I like NC's point that our pass rushers get there just half a second late because the CBs or LBs are giving huge cushions. That is more on Fangio having his cover guys back up. If he had them nose up, then the passrush gets there. Problem is it can also be dangerous.
Rogers has lost a step
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The San Francisco 49ers don't often blitz. In fact, since the start of last season, they have the lowest blitz rate of any team in the NFL.

However, when it comes to Aaron Rodgers, the 49ers are aggressive on the blitz, which means they rush five or more defenders. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers continue to put pressure on Rodgers on Sunday when the two teams meet in a wild-card game at Green Bay.

Rodgers usually fares well against the blitz but not against the 49ers. Since Jim Harbaugh took over the 49ers in 2011, they are 3-0 against the Packers.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers' Total QBR against the 49ers when blitzed in the past three meetings is 8.0. In Week 1 this season, Rodgers was 1-for-6 with an interception when blitzed by Vic Fangio's defense.

Typically, Fangio doesn't like to blitz. His team has blitzed 17.9 percent of the time since the start of last season. It's something about that Fangio blitz that gets to Rodgers. Since the start of last season, he has completed 59.5 percent of his passes and averaged 8.1 yards per attempt against every other blitz. Those numbers fall to 52.8 percent and 4.4 yards against the 49ers.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/3913/will-49ers-continue-to-blitz-rodgers

That's because most teams prepare for us NOT to blitz.
Share 49ersWebzone