LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Pass Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
pass d is playing just like it did at this time last season.

[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
While it's true that the 49er's won the two games they should have lost, it's tempting fate!

When it's evident that your four man front is getting torched, you MUST make some adjustments. That's just what good teams do.

Not rely on luck and or what got them through in the past to do it again. Sooner or later ... this luck runs out!

Are you on drugs???? Should of list the last 2? Don't you mean should of won the panthers and saints games and won the last two as well?
Pass the smoke please. And if we are talking about should ofs......then Seattle should of lost to Houston stl and tb and we should have the division and bye week.

*have x3

Should of said SHOULD'VE.
No doubt we need to improve but it still could be an aberration.

The Falcons pass on 70% of their plays (or so) because they have struggled to run the ball. Wouldn't have made much sense for them to try to out muscle us in the trenches. Don't forget our run defense is still top notch, so if you're forced to make a choice against the 49ers, you throw it and then throw some more.

With Arizona, well, we ran up a huge lead early. Like Atlanta, teams aren't exactly afraid of their running game. Not hard to figure out why they came out the second half chucking it.

And next Sunday, I fully expect Aaron Rodgers to eclipse 300 yards passing. The Packers defense is terrible, and like every other time we have played them, they're going to have to throw it a lot to keep up.

Perhaps Harbaugh will take note of this and design drives to keep Rodgers & Co. on the bench.
[ Edited by baltien on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

with no justin smith or aldon smith injury to blame it on
Maybe if we blitz'd more and Aldon Smith was being himself, we wouldn't have this problem.
I watched Carolina sack Matt Ryan 9 times yesterday in the 10 am game. I was thinking gee I wish the Niners had a pass rush like that. Good QB's will complete passes if they have time, simple as that.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

with no justin smith or aldon smith injury to blame it on

Yeah what the f**k is up with our defense falling apart at the end of the season? Hopefully these last two games were just poor games and not indicative of how our D plays in the playoffs. I want to see that dominant 49er D again!
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Maybe if we blitz'd more and Aldon Smith was being himself, we wouldn't have this problem.

Agreed. Justin, Mcdonald, and Brooks also aren't exactly helping with the pass rush, but I expect so much from Aldon. I expect him to dominate and get heat on the quarterback practically every play. I'm not seeing the explosion off the line from him, nor am I seeing his power and bull rushes nearly as frequently as we are accustomed to seeing. I don't know what's up..
Maybe the Niners can switch things up some, they seem to start the pass rush from the same players being in the same spot on the field all the time, why not some where you have brooks and Aldon rushing from the same side, or some fancy blitzes.

I think talent is great, but creative play calling can help a lot.
no pass rush=no pass defense.

Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
Packers have a weak offensive line and our defense will be highly motivated to finish the job from last year. I also expect the offense to pull out some crazy formations i have a feeling the coaches have been waiting to whip out the special plays when we reach the post season and now its time to UNLEASH KAP

The Packers have a better offensive line than both atlanta and arizona and look how those offenses did.

So do the Panthers but they only scored 10 points. Every game is different.

And just a fun fact, the Packers have allowed more sacks than the Falcons and Cardinals...
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I watched Carolina sack Matt Ryan 9 times yesterday in the 10 am game. I was thinking gee I wish the Niners had a pass rush like that. Good QB's will complete passes if they have time, simple as that.

Very true and even though we only sacked Matt Ryan once, and he still had Gonzo, White, Douglass and Jackson, they still couldn't score enough points to beat us. At the end of the day, stats aren't what wins games, points do and we have allowed almost 800 yards passing in two weeks and still won the game. I'll take that all the way a sixth Lombardi trophy if that's what it takes
[ Edited by Sims84 on Dec 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Aldon was the only one who got close to Palmer last Sunday despite getting chipped or double teamed all game. We need to start mixing in some creative blitz packages for the playoffs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
no pass rush=no pass defense.
and our starters are pretty much healthy as compared to last year at this time so that is why it is so puzzling to me... that is going to be the biggest key sunday
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah what the f**k is up with our defense falling apart at the end of the season? Hopefully these last two games were just poor games and not indicative of how our D plays in the playoffs. I want to see that dominant 49er D again!

Short week with travel didn't help. At the end of the year too, so players are beat up and weary. It is obvious that the 49ers play it safe on defense ... bend don't break. I wouldn't expect that to change, and just hope that the 4 max pass rush can somehow come alive for the playoffs, or that they can scheme pressure somehow.
Share 49ersWebzone