LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Pass Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chico
  • Veteran
We gave up 348 yds vs Atlanta
& 407 yds vs AZ

Now we're going up against GB & Aaron Rodgers & the #3 offense, #6 in passing & #7 in rushing.

So how would you defend this?

Nickel package? Dime defense? I say just play ball control and PUNCH them in the mouth!
By having our pass rushers actually rush the passer. Ryan and Palmer operated almost untouched in the last 2 games, of course we're gonna get torched. Factor in that we have been unable to run the ball consistently. That's why.
[ Edited by Stanley on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM ]
With a pass rush!!! Hopefully this bend don't break scheme by Fangio will take a back seat, but I am not holding my breath. No doubt that this is a shaky 12-4 squad. They will have to overcome some tough playoff conditions (back to back short weeks, bitter cold, some of the best QB's/Teams in the league, perhaps an eventual sojourn through Seattle), but imagine how sweet it will be if they pull it off.
Originally posted by Chico:
We gave up 348 yds vs Atlanta
& 407 yds vs AZ

Now we're going up against GB & Aaron Rodgers & the #3 offense, #6 in passing & #7 in rushing.

So how would you defend this?

Nickel package? Dime defense? I say just play ball control and PUNCH them in the mouth!

Off-coverage rules! LOL
WE HAVE NO PASS RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pass rush completely disappears. All day yesterday it looked like they only move our four man rush had was the bull rush. They just kept slamming into the mediocre AZ O line and never made attempts at a second move to get them there.
well, i think some fail to realize that we actually have one of the best pass defenses in the league.
The DBs are pretty much on their own in this defense. It is amazing they do so well most of the time. Most other teams would give up 600 yards a game playing this defense. The team doesn't give up too many points, overall, but this is because of the skill of the players only.
Yea secondary has got torched 2 weeks in a row. Last week it was White, and this week it was the whole AZ wr core. A big issue here is the pass rush. Panthers sacked Ryan 9 times yesterday. Niners barely touched the dude. D line flat out needs to play better. Palmer was comfortable in the pocket for the majority of the game. Corners play too far off wr's. Time to start off with some blitzes early instead for only trying them when the 4 man rush isn't working. Just need to mix it up a little bit. Every o line is expecting the stunt. Whenever Willis or Bow blitzed it was successful.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
well, i think some fail to realize that we actually have one of the best pass defenses in the league.

sure. but now we're at the point where season long stats dont mean anything anymore. we're in a new season, and its something of note that we've allowed back to back pretty big passing days. what we averaged in october is not really relevant right now.

Get Aldon to come out of retirement.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

This. Giving up a lot of yards between the 20s isn't necessarily indicative of a bad pass defense. We gave up two passing TDs...but one should not have counted (Brock was pushed off by the AZ receiver).
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea secondary has got torched 2 weeks in a row. Last week it was White, and this week it was the whole AZ wr core. A big issue here is the pass rush. Panthers sacked Ryan 9 times yesterday. Niners barely touched the dude. D line flat out needs to play better. Palmer was comfortable in the pocket for the majority of the game. Corners play too far off wr's. Time to start off with some blitzes early instead for only trying them when the 4 man rush isn't working. Just need to mix it up a little bit. Every o line is expecting the stunt. Whenever Willis or Bow blitzed it was successful.

This has been my argument all along. IF the pass rush isn't getting it done (via straight-up vanilla-style or even by manufacturing one), THEN you play tigher up at the LOS and play press or at least tighter...come up close pre snap, back off, vice versa, etc. ESPECIALLY on 3rd downs. Make them at least EARN it. The tighter coverage and disruption will often times, at least make a QB hesitate and allow that extra 1/2 a second for the pass rush to get there. The two units work in tandem!

Mix it up a bit. And use your personnel better...stop matching Whitner up on TE's and bigger slot WR's in the RZ...use Reid. Put your best cover CB on a team's best WR. Get Rogers and his 1/2-ass-effort off the field and develop Morris or bring in Wright who was making strides before Brown was inserted back into the lineup.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

This has been my argument all along. IF the pass rush isn't getting it done (via straight-up vanilla-style or even by manufacturing one), THEN you play tigher up at the LOS and play press or at least tighter...come up close pre snap, back off, vice versa, etc. ESPECIALLY on 3rd downs. Make them at least EARN it. Mix it up a bit. And use your personnel better...stop matching Whitner up on TE's and bigger slot WR's in the RZ...use Reid. Put your best cover CB on a team's best WR. Get Rogers and his 1/2-ass-effort off the field and develop Morris or bring in Wright who was making strides before Brown was inserted back into the lineup.

yeah i'm pretty done with rogers at this point. if you're going to be an older cb with some lost speed, the effort has to at least be there
Originally posted by NCommand:

This has been my argument all along. IF the pass rush isn't getting it done (via straight-up vanilla-style or even by manufacturing one), THEN you play tigher up at the LOS and play press or at least tighter...come up close pre snap, back off, vice versa, etc. ESPECIALLY on 3rd downs. Make them at least EARN it. The tighter coverage and disruption will often times, at least make a QB hesitate and allow that extra 1/2 a second for the pass rush to get there. The two units work in tandem!

Mix it up a bit. And use your personnel better...stop matching Whitner up on TE's and bigger slot WR's in the RZ...use Reid. Put your best cover CB on a team's best WR. Get Rogers and his 1/2-ass-effort off the field and develop Morris or bring in Wright who was making strides before Brown was inserted back into the lineup.

Yeah I totally agree with this. They are playing off coverage a bit too much and shpowing too much respect for the Falcon and Cardinal receivers the past two games. Play some press coverage and make them earn it. Also I noticed Palmer was taking alot of short drops and getting the ball out quick. You canbet Rodgers is gonna do the same.I actually hope Carlos can't play so we can see more of Eric Wright. I was initally opposed of his signing but when he played prior to brown coming back, he had played very well. As far as the d-line goes they just need to improve and Aldon needs to make his presence known throughout the game,
Share 49ersWebzone