LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Pass Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While it's true that the 49er's won the two games they should have lost, it's tempting fate!

When it's evident that your four man front is getting torched, you MUST make some adjustments. That's just what good teams do.

Not rely on luck and or what got them through in the past to do it again. Sooner or later ... this luck runs out!
We are gonna have to bring more than 4 to get to Rodgers while playing are normally solid rush defense. Take away lacy and make Rodgers do it. Be solid on first down and put them in long yardage 2nd and 3rd down. That should squash a run threat. I plan to watch the Chi V. GB game tonight so I will have a more detailed plan tomorrow.

Overall, it is time to let it all hang out on defense and offense alike. I think the offense showed some extra stuff yesterday to give GB or Chicago stuff to think about. I can see them doing it to set up plays for this week. I know that is what I would do. GB's pass rush and secondary play is suspect and Kaep should give them fits again, running or passing. But I look for Gore and Hunter to really give them issues. Gore with inside runs or runs he bounces outside and Hunter with dashes to the edge. The Packers could not contain Forte in the run or pass game. Good, solid, mistake free football will make whatever GB does a non-factor. And no 11 penalties for 85 yards!
It's the pass rush, plain and simple. It's been non-existent the last two games and our secondary has gotten torched. Better show up next week.
Packers have a weak offensive line and our defense will be highly motivated to finish the job from last year. I also expect the offense to pull out some crazy formations i have a feeling the coaches have been waiting to whip out the special plays when we reach the post season and now its time to UNLEASH KAP
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Hoping we blitz with Bowman and/or Willis more against GB. Bowman especially has been extremely consistent getting pressure on blitzes. Would be nice to see Skuta in more for Brooks too, because Brooks has been invisible in run defense (other than the one tackle for loss this weekend) and pass rush since the NO game. Hopefully Rogers' hamstring is tweaked a bit too and he has to sit out, because he's been getting absolutely torched in the slot the past few weeks. I'd much rather see Wright in there.
[ Edited by Disp on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
While it's true that the 49er's won the two games they should have lost, it's tempting fate!

When it's evident that your four man front is getting torched, you MUST make some adjustments. That's just what good teams do.

Not rely on luck and or what got them through in the past to do it again. Sooner or later ... this luck runs out!

Are you on drugs???? Should of list the last 2? Don't you mean should of won the panthers and saints games and won the last two as well?
Pass the smoke please. And if we are talking about should ofs......then Seattle should of lost to Houston stl and tb and we should have the division and bye week.
Our dbs have been playing amazing even with giving up almost 400 yards...Our pass rush, has no rush. Maybe they are out of gas or saving the gas. Guess we'l find out Sunday.
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
Packers have a weak offensive line and our defense will be highly motivated to finish the job from last year. I also expect the offense to pull out some crazy formations i have a feeling the coaches have been waiting to whip out the special plays when we reach the post season and now its time to UNLEASH KAP

The Packers have a better offensive line than both atlanta and arizona and look how those offenses did.
Our defense is clutch. In the playoffs it's a whole different ball game. In the past 2 years which defenses has had the most success in the playoffs?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Are you on drugs???? Should of list the last 2? Don't you mean should of won the panthers and saints games and won the last two as well?
Pass the smoke please. And if we are talking about should ofs......then Seattle should of lost to Houston stl and tb and we should have the division and bye week.

*have x3

Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by ilikecows699:

The Packers have a better offensive line than both atlanta and arizona and look how those offenses did.

OK, lets look at what those offenses did. Their QB's threw for ... 4 TD's combined over 8 quarters. By our standards, that's awful. Be the rest of the NFL's standards, even that poor performance is not really that bad. We have had a couple of lapses, but I fully believe we can get things fixed. Remember, just 10 days ago most were saying that the pass defense looked better than ever.

I live in Green Bay, they dream about a defense as good as ours. Rogers will put up some points...he may even throw for 400 yards and 3-4 TD's. But you will see what a bad defense looks like on Sunday when we put up 40 points on them. Seriously, they can't stop anybody AND they are without Clay Matthews. If we can't score 5 or 6 TD's I would be surprised.

Don't worry too much about Carlos Rogers being banged up. Their defense looks like what ours would look like if we lost Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Aldon Smith, Eric Reid, Tramaine Brock AND Carlos Rogers to injuries. Seriously.
I'm hoping its not the same bs that happened to our d last year towards the end where we were giving up an insane amount of yds and it finally caught up to is in the sb.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
OK, lets look at what those offenses did. Their QB's threw for ... 4 TD's combined over 8 quarters. By our standards, that's awful. Be the rest of the NFL's standards, even that poor performance is not really that bad. We have had a couple of lapses, but I fully believe we can get things fixed. Remember, just 10 days ago most were saying that the pass defense looked better than ever.

I live in Green Bay, they dream about a defense as good as ours. Rogers will put up some points...he may even throw for 400 yards and 3-4 TD's. But you will see what a bad defense looks like on Sunday when we put up 40 points on them. Seriously, they can't stop anybody AND they are without Clay Matthews. If we can't score 5 or 6 TD's I would be surprised.

Don't worry too much about Carlos Rogers being banged up. Their defense looks like what ours would look like if we lost Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Aldon Smith, Eric Reid, Tramaine Brock AND Carlos Rogers to injuries. Seriously.

So you live in Green Bay? Are the gay rumors true then?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
To make up for our pass defense, we just need to play ball control and keep the ball out of Aaron's hands.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I don't care if we give up 400 yards passing, if we do what we always do, which is make teams one dimensional and inefficient, we'll win. On the year, the Niners are ranked #5 in yards per pass attempt (6.5). So if a team throws for 400 but it takes 50 to 60 attempts to do so, we'll win. Or at least give ourselves a very good chance to win...
Share 49ersWebzone