LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Truth is.... We're just not good enough...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
"We need to execute. Need to make plays".

that's also a huge problem

the execution isn't the problem
the damn plays don't work

Strongly disagree. Execution has been terrible. Receivers look lost and Kaepernick panicks, can't find his outlet and get's sacked.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I remember the Baltimore Ravens were having a similar problem around this time last year. Then they fired Cam Cameron, their OC, and started winning winnable games to get their confidence back. Once they squared up with tough opponents, they used their momentum and aggressive attitude to punch teams in the mouth, and made an incredible run to the superbowl. The superbowl could have gone either way, but they definitely deserved to win.

Now back to our team, we look just as bad as they did last year around this time. But the only way for us to get back on our horse is to invoke some SERIOUS change. I'm looking at Roman, and maybe even Baalke with the way he brings in crap receivers and cuts talented players (Daniels, Cooper). I still like Baalke, but we need some serious change.

The same guy just dumped by Seattle? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME? You're going to cry about Baalke getting rid of a project QB that might never turn to be anything more than a CFL reject? Where's Nate Davis these days?

Holy hell, calm your tits. I said Daniels because the move made ZERO sense at the time. First of all, you don't know the potential of his career because you're not a psychic. Second of all, I said this because it was clear that he was well liked by fans and he looked like he could play from his preseason performances. I never said he was the second coming of Montana, but it was damn sure a stupid move, considering we dumped him for John Skelton, who we later dumped for Mcleod Bethel-Thompson, who we originally dumped for Scott Tolzien, who we dumped for (guess who) this season.

How does any of that make any sense? And you need to calm down talking about I'm "crying over it" I briefly mentioned it for a second, and you flipped your sh*t like a two year old. LOL
I agree - we aren't that good this year. I think we played above expectations in 2011. We were the hot ticket in 2012 and lived up to those expectations even with a QB change ... this year we were a consensus top 3 team heading into the year, with the expectation that Kaep would only get better.

You can blame it on injuries, Kaep failing to progress, defenses figuring out our scheme ... or all of the above.

But guys ... the one thing that this team has is talent. Talent doesn't go away. Our defense is still special in my opinion. We have great players at TE, RB, and OL (though as a unit they need to man up). And talent can gel at any time and win a bunch of games.

The 1988 49ers were 6-5, in the midst of a QB controversy, playing some of the worst football in the Bill Walsh era ... people were even calling for his head. We won the SB that year because we had talent and it gelled at the right time.

We have 6 games left. There is plenty of time left for this team to find itself, to get in a rhythm, to get healthy. I'll tell you this - we just lost by 3 points to a very good Saints team on the road at a time when our offense looks putrid, guys are injured, and coaches are on the defensive. You think the Saints want to see us in the playoffs if we can find ourselves here in the last third of the season? No one wants to play the talented underdog that's on a roll. Let them right us off.
With the 7th easiest schedule left, if the 49ers want to show me something, they need to win the last 6 games to close out the year.
As my son and I watched another futile attempt to beat a good team, we came to the same conclusion. The past two seasons, we won those games, for the most part. You just can't make crucial mistakes at critical points in games vs the better teams in the NFL. Two ST's plays, the 82 yd KO return and Osgood's blunder on the fair catch are just inexcusable. Brooks' hit on Brees, no matter how frustrating, the officials will throw a flag 99% of the time because they've made QB's prima donnas. Failure of the offense to score TD's when they get in the RZ...failure of the defense to stop (in this case) Brees when it matters the most. Just too many mistakes that have cost us games. It could cost the playoffs if things don't change ASAP...
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner7:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
It was a fun 2 years with this personal, but it looks like it is heading to a downward spiral.

lol dont be a drama queen.

A 1 point loss to an elite D and a last second FG loss on the road against an elite team is hardly a "downward spiral". We won this game, and the refs took it away.

All that said, we have a young, developing QB. Even having a winning record is impressive.
Agree except it's not impressive to have a winning record. We should have a winning record we were in the Super Bowl last year....
Originally posted by Afrikan:
The Saints were one of the Best teams in the League...They set a record last week...and their Defense has been great this year.

And they were playing at their house, which they are undefeated so far this season.

we outplayed them, imo.

They have better personnel on offense and a better play caller. They won at the end because of this....on top of the b******t calls by the Refs.

so I think we ARE more than good enough....but Roman is holding us back in my opinion.

Kaep is playing like a second year Starter who has great potential is playing...still has to grow. Cam went through his slump last year... I think Roman and Harbaugh are not making it easier for Kaep and the Oline. We are too predictable.
We should have won that game. I don't know what I'm more disgusted about, that AWFUL roughing the passer call or that BONE HEADED play by osgood

Or Gore's drop. I get the argument that he was running full speed and the pass was low, but Gore needs to at least stop, secure the catch, and get the first down. Stop and catch it first, and then try to run and get some extra yards. Crucial drop during a crucial part of the game.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Call me crazy but I think we win our last 6 games.

Yeah, that is crazy. I would not be surprised in the least for them to lose 2 of the next 3, and things are headed towards a showdown for the #6 playoff spot @ Arizona in Week 17.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
when you lose close games the difference is coaching

you lose by 1 to the panthers lose by 3 to the saints in new orleans

that means you're talented enough to win the games

the coach is the one who lost it and jim and greg has cost us 4 games now
so
it just is what it is

Yes, that is true.

But, I think you are missing the point here, cos by the same token we also are getting blown out of the water by really good teams such as the Seahawks and even the Colts. I am sorry, whichever way you cut it, there is no excuse for it !!
Originally posted by Rascal:
when you lose close games the difference is coaching

you lose by 1 to the panthers lose by 3 to the saints in new orleans

that means you're talented enough to win the games

the coach is the one who lost it and jim and greg has cost us 4 games now
so
it just is what it is

Yes, that is true.

But, I think you are missing the point here, cos by the same token we also are getting blown out of the water by really good teams such as the Seahawks and even the Colts. I am sorry, whichever way you cut it, there is no excuse for it !!

There is especially no excuse for the SECOND CONSECUTIVE WEEK having a remedial offense that can't generate even 200 yards and is an effing embarrassment. I had a glimmer of hope that after the abortion last week vs Carolina that the light bulb above HaRo's head went on, that they saw the light and realized they need CK to take quicker/shorter drops, get receivers moving ACROSS the field, not just always running straight line routes, scheme plays for playmakers, e.g. screens to LMJ, reverse to Manningham, etc.

But no, it was more of the same. I wasn't even too upset on the BS call on Brooks, because even if the Niners would've got the ball, I fully expected a prompt 3-and-out and NO would've just drove back down the field anyway. Was there a doubt in ANYONE'S mind that once NO did tie the score at 20-20 that the 49ers wouldn't run a PATHETIC attempt at a 2-minute offense and that they would give the ball back to NO with plenty of time to score?
I don't think you are completely accurate here. There is a difference between being just not good enough and having your playmakers making mistakes at the most crucial times. The Niners lost yesterday (and last week) because of self inflicted wounds with an assist from the coaching staff. Gore's drop, Kaep channeling Alex Smith in the first half and not taking shots downfield, stupid challenges, taking too long in and out of the huddle, Kaep running out of bounds instead of staying inbounds, hitting a guy after he calls a fair catch, and having only 23 yds of offense in the 4th quarter are all reasons why they lost. Still, you add all that up and the Niners were still in it and the Brooks call would have changed the outcome of the game. This team is good enough and they need the next man up to come in and start making the plays to start winning these close games. In addition, it's up to the coaching staff to start putting guys in a position to succeed, not hamper them with stupid decisions on their part.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
There is especially no excuse for the SECOND CONSECUTIVE WEEK having a remedial offense that can't generate even 200 yards and is an effing embarrassment. I had a glimmer of hope that after the abortion last week vs Carolina that the light bulb above HaRo's head went on, that they saw the light and realized they need CK to take quicker/shorter drops, get receivers moving ACROSS the field, not just always running straight line routes, scheme plays for playmakers, e.g. screens to LMJ, reverse to Manningham, etc.

But no, it was more of the same. I wasn't even too upset on the BS call on Brooks, because even if the Niners would've got the ball, I fully expected a prompt 3-and-out and NO would've just drove back down the field anyway. Was there a doubt in ANYONE'S mind that once NO did tie the score at 20-20 that the 49ers wouldn't run a PATHETIC attempt at a 2-minute offense and that they would give the ball back to NO with plenty of time to score?
Sad to say....I had no doubt that they would get the ball back and score
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Who would have thought the bye week would have done more harm than good? We were on a roll before the bye
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Who would have thought the bye week would have done more harm than good? We were on a roll before the bye

we were playing s**tty football teams. it goes no deeper than that competition has been raised. nothing more.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
we played s**tty teams. what is so hard to see? we can not beat good teams. roman can not coach vs good teams with a good defense and our players look scared and lost vs good teams,
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
It was a fun 2 years with this personal, but it looks like it is heading to a downward spiral.

lol dont be a drama queen.

A 1 point loss to an elite D and a last second FG loss on the road against an elite team is hardly a "downward spiral". We won this game, and the refs took it away.

All that said, we have a young, developing QB. Even having a winning record is impressive.

Nothing dramatic about that. It is the cold hard truth. We have gone as far as we could go with this group of personnel. We simply just aren't good enough !!

You are right, 1 point loss to the Panthers or 3 points loss to the Saints is not a lot and perhaps if not for the bad calls by the refs we might have even won this game, but 29-3 to the Seahawks and 27-7 to the Colts IS !!

Yes, we do have a young and developing QB and boy does he need to develop. But, "young and developing" shouldn't be used an an excuse. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson are both young and developing too. Let's just call it the way it is, Kap is just not as good (at least at this juncture).

I understand "downward spiral" might be too strong a term for your tatse, but like most things in this world, is all relative. In other words, it is more than just whether we are tanking cos there are other teams who have upped their game big time which makes the disparity even more pronounced.
Share 49ersWebzone