LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sims84:
Crabtree is a beast. He is not a burner that will scare a defense deep but he CAN get behind a defense and has proved that every year, including his rookie season when he beat Al Harris deep for his 1st Touchdown. His YAC ability and physicality is highly underrated. He will almost always break that first tackle and fights for everything. He has one fumble (rookie year I believe) in his whole career so that is not a problem either. He plays extremely hard every down and is a must have player for going forward.

yup who is all about the money
Originally posted by brizznasty:
The fumble I remember was the one in last years NFC championship game at the atlanta 5 , I'll give him a pass though because he was fighting for the TD and was also dealing with a certain "distraction"

Yes he did but I was only talking about the regular season. I don't think the distraction had anything to do with it. He was fighting for yards and he just coughed it up. Happens to the best of them from time to time
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Crabtree is a beast. He is not a burner that will scare a defense deep but he CAN get behind a defense and has proved that every year, including his rookie season when he beat Al Harris deep for his 1st Touchdown. His YAC ability and physicality is highly underrated. He will almost always break that first tackle and fights for everything. He has one fumble (rookie year I believe) in his whole career so that is not a problem either. He plays extremely hard every down and is a must have player for going forward.

yup who is all about the money

How is he all about the money? Has he had a holdout other than his rookie year?? No he hasn't. He was the best WR in the draft and should have been the 1st WR taken if it wasn't for the Raiders being so stupid. Crabtree stated time and time again that he was ready to play football. It was his agent who wanted more money and rightfully so. That is water under the bridge now and ever since Crabtree has put on the 49er uniform, he has been a great player. He finally has a QB who trusts him to throw it up even if it appears he is covered and he has responded by making play after play. Unless he holds out or he walks during free agency, him being all about money is pure speculation on your part. How about going with facts and the fact is he is a beast of a WR and still under contract through one more season but it is without question that we need to re-sign him because he is very valuable to our offense.
He's back. Feed him more.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Dec 25, 2013 at 5:37 AM ]
The point is he will demand a probowl contract. Really the guy hasn't produced at that level period. He is an above average WR. He should be paid as such. He will get a huge contract from another team and take it. Can't blame him.
The point is he will demand a probowl contract. Really the guy hasn't produced at that level period. He is an above average WR. He should be paid as such. He will get a huge contract from another team and take it. Can't blame him.

He had an 1,000 yard season last year, the first WR to do that since T.O and he did so in a run heavy offense. If we threw the ball over 35 times a game like other teams, he would put up 1300 yards every season. Dude is a beast and is worth every penny he is going to ask for. Our offense is night and day without him. You think we beat Seattle without Crabtree?? Hell no! Boldin and even Davis had so many one on one opportunities because Thomas/Chancellor had to consistently help Maxwell with Crabtree. We threw the ball only 21 times this past game and Crabtree, 4 games back from his serious injury, still came away with 20 yards per catch...he is a game changer and should be paid as such
[ Edited by Sims84 on Dec 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love Crabby.
Originally posted by SFsFinest:
Crabtree is a legit number one WR. The only thing he lacks is elite speed, but he has elite hands, quickness, strength, reflexes and football smarts.

who is all about the money.

Everyone is about money, not just football players.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Crabtree is a legit number one WR. The only thing he lacks is elite speed, but he has elite hands, quickness, strength, reflexes and football smarts.

There is nothing wrong with a player cashing in on his talents. One bad play can take it all away from him. The player is the one who shoulders the risk. The league will move on with our without him.

There is nothing wrong with a player cashing in on his talents. One bad play can take it all away from him. The player is the one who shoulders the risk. The league will move on with our without him.

I agree we live in the USA get what you can. But he is about the money and will leave if he doesn't get 8 mill a year at least. I'm not knocking his skills. He is an above average receiver who can make a couple of pro bowls. 6 years for 67 million is what he will want on the minimum or 5 years 60 million. He's not that good. We need to trade him now.

I agree we live in the USA get what you can. But he is about the money and will leave if he doesn't get 8 mill a year at least. I'm not knocking his skills. He is an above average receiver who can make a couple of pro bowls. 6 years for 67 million is what he will want on the minimum or 5 years 60 million. He's not that good. We need to trade him now.

For Gordon?
Sure but the Gordon trade thread is not here
Extending Crabtree is an unknown. We know that his talent and what he can do on the football field dictates that he should be paid as a top WR. Furthermore we sorely missed him and now that he is back you can argue that he is more important to this team than Iupati. I am just not sure that we can afford him or that we want to pony up the type of dough it will take to keep Crabtree. We just have to enjoy him while we have him and draft a couple WRs this spring while we are at it.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Extending Crabtree is an unknown. We know that his talent and what he can do on the football field dictates that he should be paid as a top WR. Furthermore we sorely missed him and now that he is back you can argue that he is more important to this team than Iupati. I am just not sure that we can afford him or that we want to pony up the type of dough it will take to keep Crabtree. We just have to enjoy him while we have him and draft a couple WRs this spring while we are at it.

Wow glad ur not our GM handing out big deals to a guy who played well one year.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Wow glad ur not our GM handing out big deals to a guy who played well one year.

I didn't advocate that WE should pay him, I am saying that his talent dictates that he is a top WR and that we should enjoy him while we have him and draft a couple WRs while we are at it. It is obvious that something or someone is accounting for the spike in production at the position since Crabtree's return. I do believe that there will be some desperate franchise that will pay him what he might be looking for. I know that we will assign Crabtree a value for what we think he is worth and if our number is too far off from his number we will let him test free agency. Now as for the one good year argument, I think there are plenty of examples throughout the history of free agency where countless franchises have rewarded free agents based solely off their prior contract years. Haynesworth comes to mind. I don't see us as doing such a thing, but Crabtree is showing over the last season and a half if you count the playoffs that he is a premier talent at the position. If he continues his pace he will be paid dearly and to be honest we might get in on the bidding because we haven't had a 1000 yard WR since TO. Now we got 2 guys that can do it: Crabtree and Boldin. Good problem to have until it is time to pay these guys. In Baalke (and Paraag) we trust!
Share 49ersWebzone