LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh - is he doing too much?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by toeshawn:
http://bit.ly/Q4jTRC

what do you guys think about harbaugh's defense of jenkins? At first I didn't think much of it but this writer described it as "thin"skinned.

It's also the second time they describe harbaugh as a joke around the league for the things he says that no one believes, (the other being that they have five number one receivers). Do you guys give a s**t?

And writers was Harbaugh referring to?
Personally, I don't think JH was doing too much. The criticism of AJ has been completely over the top and silly (then again, this is "silly season" in politics). Many, if not most, reporters have been critical of AJ, including Maiocco and especially Grant Cohn - two guys who I think very much wanted Fleener. It's no surprise to me that JH is defending AJ. He should. AJ is one of "his guys". The coach is supposed to defend his players. Up to this point all the talk has been how much AJ has "struggled" in un-padded conditioning practices and how the press has this orgasmic infatuation on Randy Moss based largely on namesake and those same un-padded conditioning practices. Hell, many of these reporters have AJ as the 4th or 5th WR (even some some fans here don't think he'll even make the game day roster) and have Moss as the #1 and we haven't even had a pre-season yet. So I don't JH is thinned skinned. I think he's just tired of the idiocy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
The people who dislike Harbaugh and call him a joke are secretly the same people who are afraid of what he can do with this team.

When we had Nolan, Erickson and Singeltary, no one gave a s**t about our coach or our team. Now that we have a coach who knows how to win and on top of that protect his players, the media has a problem.

Let them hate. Well keep on winning. Jim knows that every single and little thing he does is all part of his plan to gather his team under one goal and to win the ultimate prize.
they like sing cuz he gave them nice sound bites and dropped his pants, they like rex ryan cuz he is a buddy to them and makes them giggle like little school girls, they hate people like our coach and the pats coach, cuz they volunteer no information,,, they give no quarter and they ask for no quarter.
Originally posted by cciowa:
The people who dislike Harbaugh and call him a joke are secretly the same people who are afraid of what he can do with this team.

When we had Nolan, Erickson and Singeltary, no one gave a s**t about our coach or our team. Now that we have a coach who knows how to win and on top of that protect his players, the media has a problem.

Let them hate. Well keep on winning. Jim knows that every single and little thing he does is all part of his plan to gather his team under one goal and to win the ultimate prize.
they like sing cuz he gave them nice sound bites and dropped his pants, they like rex ryan cuz he is a buddy to them and makes them giggle like little school girls, they hate people like our coach and the pats coach, cuz they volunteer no information,,, they give no quarter and they ask for no quarter.

Exactly. And the fans of other teams definitely seem to hate Harbaugh, with their 'arrogant' and 'douchebag' comments. I could care less how our coach is viewed by the rest of the league. They don't matter, all that matters is what Harbaugh and this team believe. As long as our coach treats our players with respect, which he obviously does, I could care less if the media gets offended by his unusual tactics.

Exactly. And the fans of other teams definitely seem to hate Harbaugh, with their 'arrogant' and 'douchebag' comments. I could care less how our coach is viewed by the rest of the league. They don't matter, all that matters is what Harbaugh and this team believe. As long as our coach treats our players with respect, which he obviously does, I could care less if the media gets offended by his unusual tactics.

Harbaugh's recent comments is basically flipping the bird to everyone else.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Harbaugh's recent comments is basically flipping the bird to everyone else.

I'm glad. He's basically telling the media what I, and I'm sure other niner fans as well, would like to say to them for predicting us to fail this year.

f**k OFF
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So far everything I have seen from Jim Harbaugh is that he is very calculated and there is a method to his madness. I think he does and says certain to get certain results, but all this talking is just a bunch of noise if he doesn't continue to win. However he does continue to win then he will look a genius.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I'm glad. He's basically telling the media what I, and I'm sure other niner fans as well, would like to say to them for predicting us to fail this year.

f**k OFF
I am so amused when a writer does a column whining how Jh is arrogant and mean to them. In thier arrogant way they are trying to get the fans on thier side but it just does not work. The media is so arrogant and elite they can not understand why fans do not side with them much
Just psychology 101. Break a player down (Jenkins and the rookies are out of shape) and then when he works hard and gets in shape (defend him - ala Kyle Williams) to reinforce him and help him feel like a family member.

The SF media in general will not be used to us picking up a 1st rounder to develop to pay off 2 to 3 years from now so we can expect the criticism for a while b/c it's not like HarBaalke can just come out and say, "We saw a ton of raw ability/talent in Jenkins that we plan on developing for the next two years."
  • Disp
  • Veteran
As cliche as it sounds, it really looks like he's going for an "us against the world" mentality again. He's fostering confidence and trust in camp between the players and boosting them up any way he can. At the same time he's giving the media soundbytes to tee off on and getting them to cast doubt on the team and players. It worked pretty well last season when people were bagging on the team every week even when they were winning. As long as the team is as close as it was last season, then I say keep the intensity and keep being eccentric in the media's eyes!
let the kids play speak, he goes out of his way too much IMO

you can support a kid without a microphone in your face

Harbs is a players coach. He will defend his players to the end. that is why he is so respected by his players. he doesn't need respect from the media or the league. he only needs it from his organization and he has it. no 1 has to like him but they will respect him with the wins he gets.
Would we rather he threw our players under the bus? This is all a non story. Jenkins will be what he will be. We aren't asking much out of him right now and Harbaugh probably just wants him to focus on improving not proving the "world" wrong about him. Consider how well that worked out for Alex Smith. Living up to the medias expectations are not as important as living up to your coaches expectations. To me this just helps clear things up for Jenkins. Harbaugh has his back in public and now has the freedom to criticize him in private without Jenkins worrying about his job or reading too much between the lines when the coaches are on him.
This is what good leaders do. He appears to stand up for even the weakest link on his team and by doing this Harbaugh demonstrates a measure of leadership. It's important to show confidence in your players at all times, even when they may have determined a particular player isn't a right fit. If you're lucky enough to play for Harbaugh, you know you have an ally. As a player, I'd be thrilled regardless.

Contrast this with previous coaches. One who didn't tailor an offense for the squad he had and called his QB a p***y (who was in fact the opposite as we'd later understand he'd played 3 games with a severely injured shoulder). And one who dropped his pants in front of his players because the gameplan HE CHOSE was failing miserably.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM ]
This isn't a big deal. The only reason it's a story is because it's July. He defended his guy because the media relayed the idea that Jenkins was out of shape. Harbs kind of said that, but whatever. I like how he brings the locker room together. Going against the media, defending the guys can be a strategy to make the locker room closer.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
What Coach Harbaugh is doing works well on many fronts. For one, he's showing obvious support for a young player who has been perhaps judged too early. Two, he is making it clear to his players that he will defend them regardless. Three, he's making a statement with these press conferences by letting the team know who the "enemy" is so to speak....The NFL is full of tremendous talent from top to so-called bottom and the difference between a championship team vs. a losing team often comes down to who can retain their focus through the course of the next 7 months. By reinforcing the concept that the Media is "against us", Coach is keeping the team focused on their WORK without falling victim to the distraction of news articles and sound bites. I understand it may seem far-fetched but I'm willing to wager that most Super Bowl teams in the modern era adopt this sort of mentality during their winning seasons. This keeps their eyes on the ultimate prize and further psychologically separates The Team The Team The Team from Everyone Else Everyone Else Everyone Else....and that's a good thing.
Share 49ersWebzone