LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh - is he doing too much?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
http://bit.ly/Q4jTR

what do you guys think about harbaugh's defense of jenkins? At first I didn't think much of it but this writer described it as "thin"skinned.

It's also the second time they describe harbaugh as a joke around the league for the things he says that no one believes, (the other being that they have five number one receivers). Do you guys give a s**t?

Journalism and journalist are pathetic today. They act with impunity and employ one of the most biased good ole boy systems that probably makes the government jealous. Which is no surprise that the two are often working hand in hand.

JH has a target on his back because he does not cow tow to the media and their schedule and agenda. They all have over inflated ego's and undersized untilities.

He is probably just aggravated because these people really don't know what they are talking about but control popular belief within the sports viewing community. Most of the journalist scratch no further than the surface and are just laying their word quotas juxtaposed to the story lead.

So, please do not start worrying about what the outside journalist think because their opinions are already bought.

Nice. Great post.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i could care less what the media thinks of the coach, the coach could care less of what the media thinks. There is a reason why players want to play for him cuz he will protect thier back. when the coach STOPS talking about you, that is when you worry.The media does not like him cuz he is not a good old boy who drinks with them and gives them inside stuff.I could care less if the media or fans outside of the niner sphere of influence think our coach is a nut. I actually read a post from some idiot on a news paper web site that JH rode the coattails of mike singletery. Jh always has a reason for what he does and i also suspect when he yells at the media like he did yesterday(more coaches should do this instead of cow towing to them and making them giggle like little girls ex rex ryan) it just also adds more fuel to his mantra of them vs us.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Over sensitive I would say. Nothing wrong in defending your players if asked. But there really is no need for unscheduled press conferences to defend a guy. Seems like they worrying too much about what the media says. His proof will be how well these guys perform on the field. This is what the media does. No different in any other city, and any other year. I think the whole world was laughing at that Peyton Manning explanation. In the grand scheme of things I don't care, but it's training camp time and really nothing else to talk about so it's a topic.
about the peyton manning thing i have a question

i know peton called the 49ers

but did the 49ers ever offer him a contract?

i know the titans and broncos did but i never heard word 1 about 49ers offering him a contract
I don't know if they offered him a contract or not.
This is Harbaugh being Harbaugh...

When you have a dude like Grant Cohn trying to egg on your players into twitter battles and name calling, as a coach you want that negative attention on yourself not your players. What better way than to take a minor issue like conditioning of a rookie, and become the head of the issue along with the becoming the main guy the media is focused on.

It's all just a diversion, Harbaugh wants the media to keep criticizing his "thin skin" or his "over-sensitivity" because it keeps the team out of the spotlight. As long as beat writers are focusing on how to stump Harbaugh or call him on his comments, they are leaving the team alone other than a blurb hear and there. Think of all the topics they could have written about yesterday... "wheres crabtree" "is frank gore over the hill" and the always popular "is alex taking that next step?"... instead all those topics became just a sentance or two within their articles, and the focus was all on harbaugh.
If Harbaugh holds a press conference every time the media say something stupid or inaccurate he won't have enough time to coach.
JH is backing up his guys and they give him 100%.

I wish he'd do less interviews and say less in them.

The press will create stories and try to create controversies because of the soap opera world sports has become. Unfortunately, too many fans buy into that crap.

Just play the damn game.
Media elites don't like to be questioned. That is why they gnash their teeth at Harbaugh.
Originally posted by toeshawn:
http://bit.ly/Q4jTRC

what do you guys think about harbaugh's defense of jenkins? At first I didn't think much of it but this writer described it as "thin"skinned.

It's also the second time they describe harbaugh as a joke around the league for the things he says that no one believes, (the other being that they have five number one receivers). Do you guys give a s**t?

And writers was Harbaugh referring to?

I really haven't seen any criticism of Jenkins, other than when the Niners selected him with the first overall pick. But the same people who hated on that pick also hated on last year's selection. Now, how did that turn out. I specifically point to CBS pundit Pete Prisco (or, if you want to misspell his name slightly, Prickso).

This is what Prisco thought of last year's pick in the first round (Aldon): "I think this is a risky pick. He is a bit overrated. He is somewhat tentative with contact coming at him. Why not a quarterback?"

As Bugs Bunny would say: "What a Maroon."

Now, for the selection of A.J. Jenkins, it seems that Prickso may have learned his lesson after getting burnt like toast last year on Aldon Smith. His 2012 grade was much better: "This kid can run. He is frail, but he can run. Randy Moss isn't the answer. This is a surprise, but scouts really liked this kid. He can run."

Now, I'll be honest here. This one worries me. Prisco is so often off the mark that when he praises a pick, it turns out to be bust city. I'd rather have him busting our chops because if there's one thing you can rely upon, it's the words "Prisco" and "wrong" in the same sentence.

As for Harbaugh -- is he too over the top? Is he doing too much? I don't think so. And I specifically refer to the quote from Joe Staley, who is one of the true locker room leaders on this club. The quote from the Barrows article in the Sacramento Bee really caught my eye:

Asked how he felt about his coach defending one of his players, Joe Staley, the de facto captain of the offensive line, said he loved it.

"This is a very close-knit team," he said. "And it starts with the head coach."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/30/4672832/pugnacious-harbaugh-defends-rookie.html#storylink=cpy

This tells me that, more than anything else, the team has Harbaugh's back on this. Now, Jenkins could still prove to be a bust of gigantic proportions. Even the great Bill Walsh snuffed on 1st round draft picks. Harbaugh and Baalke aren't perfect. They're not going to score touchdowns on every selection. But they've made more good moves than bad, which is why this team has improved so quickly.

But -- to answer the poster's question -- "Is Harbaugh Doing Too Much?"

No, I don't think so. In fact, I think he's making all the right moves.

JH is doing what a leader does. Defends his people, period. There is nothing wrong with that, wish the president of this country would take a lesson from him. I have lost lots of respect for the so called non biased media. They say what they want to say and if they have an agenda, look out. Look what G. Cohn did to Anthony Davis. Also his take on Jenkins is absured. When you get on the wrong side of the media they will attempt to tear you apart.
i think he says all of this to show the team he has their back. not to try to shut the writers up, i'm pretty sure he knows saying this will just give them more to say.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
JH is doing what a leader does. Defends his people, period. There is nothing wrong with that, wish the president of this country would take a lesson from him. I have lost lots of respect for the so called non biased media. They say what they want to say and if they have an agenda, look out. Look what G. Cohn did to Anthony Davis. Also his take on Jenkins is absured. When you get on the wrong side of the media they will attempt to tear you apart.
usually you never get into a pissing match with the media cuz they always have the last word. JH may be an exception, as long as he continues to win and the team is a team, outside influences like the media who always have an agenda do not matter. they may think they matter but they do not. actually they do not think,, they think they think but they do not think
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
usually you never get into a pissing match with the media cuz they always have the last word. JH may be an exception, as long as he continues to win and the team is a team, outside influences like the media who always have an agenda do not matter. they may think they matter but they do not. actually they do not think,, they think they think but they do not think

Or maybe this is his way to push the player to work harder into the higher expectations JH just placed for him but putting his own ass on the line.
somebody betta call his momma and tell her harbaugh doing toooo much
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Or maybe this is his way to push the player to work harder into the higher expectations JH just placed for him but putting his own ass on the line.
good points. he always has a reason . I figure when the coach does not talk about you, that is bad news for you
The people who dislike Harbaugh and call him a joke are secretly the same people who are afraid of what he can do with this team.

When we had Nolan, Erickson and Singeltary, no one gave a s**t about our coach or our team. Now that we have a coach who knows how to win and on top of that protect his players, the media has a problem.

Let them hate. Well keep on winning. Jim knows that every single and little thing he does is all part of his plan to gather his team under one goal and to win the ultimate prize.
Share 49ersWebzone