LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 289 users in the forums

Would you rather have:

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you rather have:

Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Fans have forgotton that we are a WCO. Speed is nice but it is not important in the WCO. Sure handed, runs good routes, elusive, YAC, not afraid to go over the middle are a must for the WCO. Power running, short passes with YAC, ball control are the bread and butter of the WCO. The best receiver in football history Jerry Rice was not at all fast but he had all the other qualities needed in a WCO. We need to draft players that fit the WCO and speed doesnt equate. Draft a player or get a FA that can fix the two glaring problems we had last year - third down and red zone. Also remember we have Alex Smith as our QB (I think we do anyhow) get him the tools that fits his strengths. Drafting Fleener would give us an immediate starter as he knows the system. He is big, has some speed, good hands, guess his major problem is he doesnt block very well. Blocking is a skill that can be taught the only question I have does Fleener want to block.

While I generally agree with your post I disagree about speed in the sense that football speed is different than track speed. J Rice was in such good shape that his speed never was an issue throughout the game and he beat fast corners time and time again. So I agree that the 9ers do not need speed as much as they need route running, sure hands and the ability to run after the catch.

Sure hands are under rated by many on this board. The WCO is predicated on high percentage completion average to move the chains. A dropped ball puts the brakes on the offense as we saw this past season. Walsh saw the short passing game like a handoff to a halfback and believed it should be completed almost as surely.

Totally agree about Fleener and believe Harbaugh will be a great judge of his worth.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
While I generally agree with your post I disagree about speed in the sense that football speed is different than track speed. J Rice was in such good shape that his speed never was an issue throughout the game and he beat fast corners time and time again. So I agree that the 9ers do not need speed as much as they need route running, sure hands and the ability to run after the catch.

Sure hands are under rated by many on this board. The WCO is predicated on high percentage completion average to move the chains. A dropped ball puts the brakes on the offense as we saw this past season. Walsh saw the short passing game like a handoff to a halfback and believed it should be completed almost as surely.

Totally agree about Fleener and believe Harbaugh will be a great judge of his worth.

Not after the NFC Title game
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wallace.

Rogers can go f**k himself he wants a lot of money. fool is gonna be 31 years next year

and he really is only great b/c he is on our defense. he is just a good CB on an average team

ya'll cray. dude is good. Best CB by far on this team.

Not saying much though about our corners.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
This is asuming Rogers cant reach a deal with SF.

This poll makes no sense because the keeping Rogers option forgets the fact that we would also still have a 2nd round pick on top of Rogers and a 1st round receiver.

It's not even close in this scenario. Keep Rogers and your first and second round picks. You may end up with a future pro bowl guard or the next starting running back with that 2nd round pick and still have your pro bowl CB (Rogers) and a young WR.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Rogers...

I don't even want Wallace. Not a fan of giving up 1st round picks and paying large contracts. So many other quality receivers out there that we can sign to fill the void without losing a 1st round draft pick and paying an absurd amount of money.

This makes the most sense. Paying top dollar for a FA and you get to give up your 1st rounder on top of the money just for the ability to sign said top dollar FA? That is the kind of thing reserved for the greatest players of all time. As for having said FA be a WR, Jerry Rice is about the only player in history you make that move for.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Mar 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM ]
How about both
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not after the NFC Title game

Keep the defense together and build the offense thru the draft.

Mike Wallace will not be the same receiver that he was in Pittsburgh compared to here. This isn't Alex bashing but nobody extends plays and throws it deep like Big Ben and that's what Wallace does best. I'd take Rodgers and Wright or Hill any day of the week.
It's unlikely we're getting Wallace so I'll go with Rogers/FA Wr and another added WR in the draft.
WR is a way bigger need than CB at this point but im not sure if wallace fits our scheme. they seem to send him over the top a lot and in the WCO its about the underneath stuff and YAC. id still take wallace tho, you have a guy like that on your team and you can definitely find a way to use him

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Keep the defense together and build the offense thru the draft.

Mike Wallace will not be the same receiver that he was in Pittsburgh compared to here. This isn't Alex bashing but nobody extends plays and throws it deep like Big Ben and that's what Wallace does best. I'd take Rodgers and Wright or Hill any day of the week.

I agree with this and I hope this is what happens.
So some here want to give up a 1st round pick for the "privilege" of overpaying a receiver AND losing key defensive players because we can't afford them after signing said receiver? WHAT??!!
Wallace.

Rogers can go f**k himself he wants a lot of money. fool is gonna be 31 years next year

Is that physically possible?
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM ]
I'd rather keep this defense intact by resigning Rodgers and take our chances in the draft for receivers. Let's keep in mind that Wallace was taken in the third round. This year there are some guys that run better than 4.4 who will slip to the second and third rounds.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Wallace.

Is that physically possible?

Hmm...wrong thread?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone