LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Aldon Smith vs Oher

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FL9er:
Maurice is right in that Aldon has had highs and lows during his rookie year, but I find it interesting that he comments ONLY after he has a non-impactful game, which happens to everyone (from Jared Allen to Peyton Manning), and outright disappears when he has a strong performance.
LOL. "Maurice."

We talking bout a French Poodle here?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Aldon must have stole Maddogs lunch money or something

Still have the lunch money. People just getting too excited about his potential and not using their heads in comparing him with Miller. It is not a fair comparison right now, but there appear to be many 49ers fans that don't follow the NFL beyond the 49ers.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Aldon must have stole Maddogs lunch money or something

Still have the lunch money. People just getting too excited about his potential and not using their heads in comparing him with Miller. It is not a fair comparison right now, but there appear to be many 49ers fans that don't follow the NFL beyond the 49ers.
Also seems to be 49er fans who dont follow the 49ers
There is every reason to be excited. Smith has played very well in a number of games this year. But, for some to attempt to equate his success this year with Miller's is laughable. Miller is in a league of his own, and those who are blinded to reality only make a joke of themselves. Take this question to any other non-49ers board, and you'd have a 99.9% to 0.1% vote that Miller is superior in 2011.

As to answer your questions:
1) Yes, Miller is better
2) You cannot project out sacks per snap. You don't know if he would produce at the same level if he had more opportunities. It is a phantom stat. Most importantly, as a 4-3 OLB, Miller is rarely rushing the QB in non-nickel down situations. So, Smith is probably on the field as much as Miller on passing downs. And, his only role right now is to rush the QB, while Miller plays multiple roles on the team (he does not always rush, but sometimes drops into coverage on passing downs).
3) Everyone is making such a big transition to college. In fact, Smith's transition is probably less challenging that Miller, as Miller is switching from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB, while Smith is primarily playing the same position in college, as a 4-3 DE in nickel downs.
4) Every player has a chance to get better. He is raw because he is young, but other guys like JJ Watt are only 6 months older, and have about the same playing experience as a starter.
5) If not for Miller, Smith is still a third or fourth place candidate. No non-starter is going to win DROY, period. Too many other guys making a huge impact on their team. Smith is right now a one-dimensional, part time player. He is very good at what he does, but is not in contention for DROY.

We have every reason to be excited. However, we also have to be realistic, and fair to the other players making bigger contributions to their teams around the league. If we only have our 49ers blinkers on, it makes us blind homers. And, that is not a good thing.

For those who think I have gone overboard with the blind homer statement, think about the Bryant Young for Hall of Fame thread on the board from the past. The vast majority of the board stated he is a lock to be a Hall of Famer because....they want him to be a Hall of Famer. I do too, but if you look at the other candidates, and the history of the hall, and the few that make it every year, the chance of him getting in is very small. 49ers fans have every reason to be thrilled and excited, but they also have to be realistic about how the rest of the league and the rest of the fans feel about individual players. Nobody is talking about the dominance of Aldon Smith outside of this board.

Talking about him here...?

I'm not trying to argue with you (you have far superior football knowledge than me) - I'm just curious:
Do you still think that we should have traded up to get Peterson?
Originally posted by ForThe_Niners:

I'm not trying to argue with you (you have far superior football knowledge than me) - I'm just curious:

don't feed the hyenas.
MadDog, you keep complaining that everyone says Aldon Smith is better than Von Miller. Who exactly is saying this? Maybe a small minority does, but most people here acknowledge the fact that Miller is better at this point in their careers.

Why can't you just acknowledge that Aldon has shown massive potential and that he could become a dominant pass rusher for us in the future?

Given their respective time on the field, Smith has better numbers.
Originally posted by ForThe_Niners:
There is every reason to be excited. Smith has played very well in a number of games this year. But, for some to attempt to equate his success this year with Miller's is laughable. Miller is in a league of his own, and those who are blinded to reality only make a joke of themselves. Take this question to any other non-49ers board, and you'd have a 99.9% to 0.1% vote that Miller is superior in 2011.

As to answer your questions:
1) Yes, Miller is better
2) You cannot project out sacks per snap. You don't know if he would produce at the same level if he had more opportunities. It is a phantom stat. Most importantly, as a 4-3 OLB, Miller is rarely rushing the QB in non-nickel down situations. So, Smith is probably on the field as much as Miller on passing downs. And, his only role right now is to rush the QB, while Miller plays multiple roles on the team (he does not always rush, but sometimes drops into coverage on passing downs).
3) Everyone is making such a big transition to college. In fact, Smith's transition is probably less challenging that Miller, as Miller is switching from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB, while Smith is primarily playing the same position in college, as a 4-3 DE in nickel downs.
4) Every player has a chance to get better. He is raw because he is young, but other guys like JJ Watt are only 6 months older, and have about the same playing experience as a starter.
5) If not for Miller, Smith is still a third or fourth place candidate. No non-starter is going to win DROY, period. Too many other guys making a huge impact on their team. Smith is right now a one-dimensional, part time player. He is very good at what he does, but is not in contention for DROY.

We have every reason to be excited. However, we also have to be realistic, and fair to the other players making bigger contributions to their teams around the league. If we only have our 49ers blinkers on, it makes us blind homers. And, that is not a good thing.

For those who think I have gone overboard with the blind homer statement, think about the Bryant Young for Hall of Fame thread on the board from the past. The vast majority of the board stated he is a lock to be a Hall of Famer because....they want him to be a Hall of Famer. I do too, but if you look at the other candidates, and the history of the hall, and the few that make it every year, the chance of him getting in is very small. 49ers fans have every reason to be thrilled and excited, but they also have to be realistic about how the rest of the league and the rest of the fans feel about individual players. Nobody is talking about the dominance of Aldon Smith outside of this board.

And here . .

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=59351

Smith was one of the guys I put up as a possibility for the Cards if PP and AJ Green had already gone. I think he will have a better career than Von Miller.

My heart sank when Niners picked him. Aldon is anything, but a flash in the pan
Originally posted by endcapitalism:

Given their respective time on the field, Smith has better numbers.

I dont think it's fair some players get more playing time because they are physically superior. I think playing time should be evenly distributed regardless of ability or contribution. That would be the fair way to do it.
Here's a good stat article.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/30/pass-rushing-productivity-the-story-so-far/

The Rams game wasn't included, here's another.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/07/re-focused-rams-49ers-week-13/

And another

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/07/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-situational-star/

I also think we may be limiting Aldon so he doesn't hit the so-called rookie wall. Remember he didn't play a full year last year.
We will need him most when playoffs come. Plus, it will keep him hungry. Niners!!!
Originally posted by mtminer:
Here's a good stat article.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/30/pass-rushing-productivity-the-story-so-far/

The Rams game wasn't included, here's another.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/07/re-focused-rams-49ers-week-13/

And another

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/07/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-situational-star/

I think the quote below sums it up well...

"Had a lot of fun against the Rams as he took his season totals to 41 combined sacks, hits, and hurries. That kind of form could have made him a serious contender to Miller if he wasn't stuck in a situational role."
Share 49ersWebzone