LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Alex had a good game last week (completed 11 passes for 170 yards) but the Niners rushing attack was dominate and finished with over 200 yards. I would say a qb is taking the team on his back when he's asked to make big plays even if he doesn't get the best pass protection and the running game isn't working.

Lol. You left out the 3 TDs and his great play. Alex didn't just have a good game it was a really good game that would probably have been great but the 9ers didn't needt he passing and just ran the ball.
Originally posted by taney71:
Alex had a good game last week (completed 11 passes for 170 yards) but the Niners rushing attack was dominate and finished with over 200 yards. I would say a qb is taking the team on his back when he's asked to make big plays even if he doesn't get the best pass protection and the running game isn't working.

Lol. You left out the 3 TDs and his great play. Alex didn't just have a good game it was a really good game that would probably have been great but the 9ers didn't needt he passing and just ran the ball.

Alex Smith made the bucs quit, single handidly last week.
Originally posted by susweel:
Only we he gets in is because of injury to someone. Rodger, Brees and Stafford and the top 3 in the NFC and then Cam Newton is putting up big numbers. Then there are guys like Romo, Vick, Eli, Matt Ryan who all will put up better numbers then Alex. So him getting into the pro bowl is not gonna be easy at all.

Perhaps. There is still a season to play to see if he improves, stays the same, or plays poorly.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
When his RB is averaging a 2.5 average, OL penalties are in excess, and receivers are dropping passes.... and defenses are losing chunks of yardage... and the QB pulls out a few clutch drives to put the team ahead and in the win column.

To me, that's as much a "put team on back QB" as the ones that are forced to score gobs of points because their defense is sieve throughout an entire game.

Defense may have given up yardage but the D is at the top in points allowed and that is the main. Game 1 3 5 was D giving O the ball, game two, offense not moving wore out the D. Game 4, D adjusted in 2nd half and when O was doing its job, D could clamp down. Alex is doing what I hope to give them a chance, mistake free, and some timely plays.

A QB that carries a team, doesn't make a few timely plays, he makes them consistently, many times, and in at least for 3/4 of the season.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Kense:
Alex is playing pretty good but people are getting waaaay out of hand here. It's only week 5 and his history is hard to forget. Even Derek Anderson had a pro bowl season. Now look at him.

As one of the original Alex pundits, I have always said, he will probably have one Pro Bowl season.

Only we he gets in is because of injury to someone. Rodger, Brees and Stafford and the top 3 in the NFC and then Cam Newton is putting up big numbers. Then there are guys like Romo, Vick, Eli, Matt Ryan who all will put up better numbers then Alex. So him getting into the pro bowl is not gonna be easy at all.

Yeah the pro bowl is not a good example. Basically I meant even I, as a pundit; expected him to have one good season. I have seen far too many average QB's have one good season in my life

i always knew you were just a talking head

What does that mean ?

a pundit is an "expert" who offers his/her opinion on a topic and the term is generally associated with the "talking head" of modern media who sits behind a desk and offers pronouncements.

i'm not actually sure what he meant by calling himself and "Alex Smith pundit," so i was being something of a smartass.
400 yards, lots of picks and losses the game. Those are the best QB's. I've learned that on the WZ from the real know it alls.
Joe Montana
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:

yup
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
400 yards, lots of picks and losses the game. Those are the best QB's. I've learned that on the WZ from the real know it alls.

Wow who said that?? Really hope your not referring to me, cause that's not what I meant or said at all (in the other thread).

IMO:

A QB who will keep his poise when the odds are stacked against him, in other words comes back from adversity.

Reads a defense well, identifies the weakness of the defense and exploits it.

Makes the tough throw under pressure, doesn't get rattled when the heat (pass rush, blitz) is turned up.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Alex Smith made the bucs quit, single handidly last week.

Yeah, it had nothing do with Gore and Hunter rushing for over 200 yards.

I said he played a good game but lets not go overboard. Alex Smith is ranked 26th in passing yards and 25th for completions. If he threw only three passes and completed all three should we celebrate his earth shattering 100% completion ratio as though it's the same as a qb completing 20+ passes in a game? Nope, and we shouldn't go overboard when he only completes 11 passes either.

He played a good game while Frank Gore and Hunter dominated and led this team to victory.
Longest yard when Crew's team won't block for him and he runs the ball down after down. Works better in fiction. The expression is meaningless except for those occasions when a QB plays out of his mind to bring a team back in a victory. Romo against the 9ers is an example. Romo against the Lions? The opposite.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Steve Young put teams on his back, and took a monkey off it too.

But he had a dream team around him when he took the monkey off of it. That team was crazy stacked, just sayin.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1994_roster.htm

I said he played a good game but lets not go overboard. Alex Smith is ranked 26th in passing yards and 25th for completions. If he threw only three passes and completed all three should we celebrate his earth shattering 100% completion ratio as though it's the same as a qb completing 20+ passes in a game? Nope, and we shouldn't go overboard when he only completes 11 passes either.

He played a good game while Frank Gore and Hunter dominated and led this team to victory.

you should watch a 49er game at some point this season, we're looking pretty good.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Wow who said that?? Really hope your not referring to me, cause that's not what I meant or said at all (in the other thread).

IMO:

A QB who will keep his poise when the odds are stacked against him, in other words comes back from adversity.

Reads a defense well, identifies the weakness of the defense and exploits it.

Makes the tough throw under pressure, doesn't get rattled when the heat (pass rush, blitz) is turned up.

Alex Smith.....
Share 49ersWebzone