There are 139 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I've met several celebrities over the course of my life, and Coach Walsh was by far the most gracious of all of them. My dad & I drove up to the Stick for the Conference Championship game against the Rams in early 1990. We won 30-3, and afterward my dad took me & my friend down to the place where the players & coaches exited. I asked Coach Walsh for his autograph, and he seriously spent a good 3-4 minutes talking to us. There were a ton of people/media trying to talk to him, and he still made an effort to make a couple of kids' day. I'll never forget that. I cried when I heard that he'd passed away.

We all did but that's a tremendous account! Thanks for sharing...
Originally posted by boast:
that movie Re-Animator is just fiction, right? RIGHT?

Hell, we are right around silicon valley...they need to stop worrying about smartphones and get us a fully functioning walsh hologram
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Jd925:

Bill Walsh: Discussing Situational Practice & Drills

Yes, watched it some time ago and am still so impressed, by all of his videos, how precise the guy was. One thing I recall him emphasing and players really appreciating was that there was no lost time in practices...every minute was accounted for so players could get on with other needs...film study, weights, sleep...
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

Bill Walsh: Discussing Situational Practice & Drills

This is a great video, I stumbled on it on YouTube a year or so ago. Based on the subject matter I think it is circa 1992-93. I loved how he showed the JT SBXXIII winner on the overhead and explained the reasoning behind it. He was 20+ years ahead of his time and really is the reason football is my favorite sport. The WCO is art IMO.

Yeah that was one my favorite parts of the video ...how he broke down the last Superbowl play. He knew exactly how the defense was going to play it from every position. It's also funny how he mentioned Dallas used the exact same play against us, except used the 2nd option.

My second favorite is his comments on great coaching and Buddy Ryan start at 3:35...lol!
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, watched it some time ago and am still so impressed, by all of his videos, how precise the guy was. One thing I recall him emphasing and players really appreciating was that there was no lost time in practices...every minute was accounted for so players could get on with other needs...film study, weights, sleep...

Yeah really precise, organized, and reasoned out.... really kept players focused....He also breaks down a lot of how to organize practices in his book The Winning Edge.... but overall he was able to really systematize and simplify something that could really become incredibly disorganized and even dysfunctional.

I remembering hearing walsh say he wished he would have taken a month off after SBXXIII and continued coaching. Let's say he did that and coached until 1994(his last year at Stanford). I would be willing to bet we would have at least one if not 2 more rings. So that would have been 6-7 titles in 15 years. I would have loved to see how the early 90s would have played out. Don't get me wrong, I love George and fully appreciate the accomplishments post walsh but it would have been interesting.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM ]
Wow. That's awesome. It shows a lot about the dynamics of a draft. I like how they went after players who they wanted instead of using the best player available + needs strategy. It shows the hits and misses and the psychology of trades.. it's true there are too many cooks in the kitchen these days and it's better to have one really good guy making the final decisions so you can really make some bold moves. It seems Baalke is good at making moves, but in terms of evaluation a great coaching staff would be highly valuable input in finding the right players, not the BPA or just a need. Not everything is so clear cut and having coaches that can work with players is definitely huge. This really changes my perspective on coaching and talent evaluation. All the various short background stories around each player were great. Walsh could see a lot in just one or two tapes... I like the simple rating system they had .. and having +5, -5 ..and no 5 because he wanted scouts to make a decision... In regards to coaching the Harvard Business Review article mentioned he would rate players 1-10 on the coachability scale... top 2 you wouldn't need to really coach, bottom 2 you couldn't coach, but the middle 6 were important based on the level of work they could be taught via drills. Fascinating stuff. It's also great he gave an outside groupie like Dillman a shot at choosing the 10th round pick ... I used to love looking for sleeper picks myself...lol

Glad you enjoyed it. So much has changed. Hearing BW liked Rathman because he ran track and performed in the high jump shows you how little info they had to use. We know everything about each player now to meticulous detail. It wasn't a fair fight back then, he was light years ahead of his contemporaries.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Wow. That's awesome. It shows a lot about the dynamics of a draft. I like how they went after players who they wanted instead of using the best player available + needs strategy. It shows the hits and misses and the psychology of trades.. it's true there are too many cooks in the kitchen these days and it's better to have one really good guy making the final decisions so you can really make some bold moves. It seems Baalke is good at making moves, but in terms of evaluation a great coaching staff would be highly valuable input in finding the right players, not the BPA or just a need. Not everything is so clear cut and having coaches that can work with players is definitely huge. This really changes my perspective on coaching and talent evaluation. All the various short background stories around each player were great. Walsh could see a lot in just one or two tapes... I like the simple rating system they had .. and having +5, -5 ..and no 5 because he wanted scouts to make a decision... In regards to coaching the Harvard Business Review article mentioned he would rate players 1-10 on the coachability scale... top 2 you wouldn't need to really coach, bottom 2 you couldn't coach, but the middle 6 were important based on the level of work they could be taught via drills. Fascinating stuff. It's also great he gave an outside groupie like Dillman a shot at choosing the 10th round pick ... I used to love looking for sleeper picks myself...lol

Glad you enjoyed it. So much has changed. Hearing BW liked Rathman because he ran track and performed in the high jump shows you how little info they had to use. We know everything about each player now to meticulous detail. It wasn't a fair fight back then, he was light years ahead of his contemporaries.

Yeah Rathman was a fascinating story. His athleticism stood out, but the funny thing about is most of the niner scouts had him rated lower than 5 which meant he wasn't projected to make the cut, but Walsh trusted Al Davis's judgement and took him anyways.

I think the big thing from an talent evaluation standpoint was how confident they were in coaching players. They looked at the very best of what a player could do on film because they thought as good coaches they could make most of the players perform at that high level consistently. That's a pretty key insight.
The 1986 draft has to be one of the best drafts by any team. It definitely set the stage for the run from 88-90.

Reading an in depth breakdown of that draft makes it seem that much more special. That was a great read!
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
The 1986 draft has to be one of the best drafts by any team. It definitely set the stage for the run from 88-90.

Reading an in depth breakdown of that draft makes it seem that much more special. That was a great read!

That draft was a true gem. What I also love is going 15-1 hammering a 14-2 team to be the first team to win 18 games, then drafting the greatest player ever in the 1985 draft. Walsh and the whole organization was on a whole other level.

Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:

That draft was a true gem. What I also love is going 15-1 hammering a 14-2 team to be the first team to win 18 games, then drafting the greatest player ever in the 1985 draft. Walsh and the whole organization was on a whole other level.

How we got Rice. Good story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tales-from-the-Draft-Michael-Lombardi-s-Jerry-R?urn=nfl,233073
I remembering hearing walsh say he wished he would have taken a month off after SBXXIII and continued coaching. Let's say he did that and coached until 1994(his last year at Stanford). I would be willing to bet we would have at least one if not 2 more rings. So that would have been 6-7 titles in 15 years. I would have loved to see how the early 90s would have played out. Don't get me wrong, I love George and fully appreciate the accomplishments post walsh but it would have been interesting.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
How we got Rice. Good story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tales-from-the-Draft-Michael-Lombardi-s-Jerry-R?urn=nfl,233073

Thanks! Great story.

Would have loved to see a walsh led niners squad take on jimmy johnsons cowboys teams. I would imagine it might have reversed the record vs them. Especially the 1992 game at the stick.
Would have loved to see a walsh led niners squad take on jimmy johnsons cowboys teams. I would imagine it might have reversed the record vs them. Especially the 1992 game at the stick.

I'd like to think Walsh would have found a way to keep Haley in check and prevent that retarded trade to Dallas.
Share 49erswebzone