Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Envy
  • Veteran
http://youtu.be/PwiDe5YBdQQ
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
A lot of our younger fans never saw the greatness of Bill Walsh. I wish there was a way to go back in time to witness the great 49er teams of the eighties.

They can start here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/SportsVideosGalore1#p/search/1/MV83XvHl0Ac
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by valrod33:
dead people dont have birthdays

Legends never die.

Happy Birthday, Coach...
+1
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by rigs49:
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

• Jd925
  • Veteran
I just read an article and thought it was a pretty good read... it's more for management and coaching, but anyways:

To Build a Winning Team: An Interview with Head Coach Bill Walsh

https://hbr.org/1993/01/to-build-a-winning-team-an-interview-with-head-coach-bill-walsh

Harvard Business Review has the best business case studies IMO....
This is a great thread. Congrats on being the guy who finally started it.

I have a book written by Walsh about all the years with the 49ers. I was always a fan of the niners, but after reading that book it got really deep.

Walsh was a great man, a lot of inner discipline that most people lack. He was great because the small things never went un-noticed. He cared about each person, each player, and he was driven by building things. He loved finding diamonds in the rough and thought that anyone who had talent could be great with teaching and discipline.

It's an amazing book. It sheds a lot of light on his tough relationship with Eddie D, and the challenges that brought in as well.

Anyway, great thread.
I couldn't find any YouTube clips of it, but the America's Game films have great footage of Coach Walsh in action. My favorite has to footage from practice where a player is arguing about a route/concept and Walsh says "I put the f*cking play in, now let's go!"
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I couldn't find any YouTube clips of it, but the America's Game films have great footage of Coach Walsh in action. My favorite has to footage from practice where a player is arguing about a route/concept and Walsh says "I put the f*cking play in, now let's go!"

That Americas game had some Gems. The one i liked was him sitting in the locker room floor "very worried about the Dolphins offense"
  • Jd925
  • Veteran

Bill Walsh: Discussing Situational Practice & Drills
Peter King tweeted this morning. Absolutely awesome sequence inside the war room of the 1986 draft where we seemingly wouldn't make a pick and turned out one of the best draft classes in league history.

https://twitter.com/si_peterking/status/552163559132909569

• Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Peter King tweeted this morning. Absolutely awesome sequence inside the war room of the 1986 draft where we seemingly wouldn't make a pick and turned out one of the best draft classes in league history.

Wow. That's awesome. It shows a lot about the dynamics of a draft. I like how they went after players who they wanted instead of using the best player available + needs strategy. It shows the hits and misses and the psychology of trades.. it's true there are too many cooks in the kitchen these days and it's better to have one really good guy making the final decisions so you can really make some bold moves. It seems Baalke is good at making moves, but in terms of evaluation a great coaching staff would be highly valuable input in finding the right players, not the BPA or just a need. Not everything is so clear cut and having coaches that can work with players is definitely huge. This really changes my perspective on coaching and talent evaluation. All the various short background stories around each player were great. Walsh could see a lot in just one or two tapes... I like the simple rating system they had .. and having +5, -5 ..and no 5 because he wanted scouts to make a decision... In regards to coaching the Harvard Business Review article mentioned he would rate players 1-10 on the coachability scale... top 2 you wouldn't need to really coach, bottom 2 you couldn't coach, but the middle 6 were important based on the level of work they could be taught via drills. Fascinating stuff. It's also great he gave an outside groupie like Dillman a shot at choosing the 10th round pick ... I used to love looking for sleeper picks myself...lol
Originally posted by Jd925:

This is a great video, I stumbled on it on YouTube a year or so ago. Based on the subject matter I think it is circa 1992-93. I loved how he showed the JT SBXXIII winner on the overhead and explained the reasoning behind it. He was 20+ years ahead of his time and really is the reason football is my favorite sport. The WCO is art IMO.
Originally posted by jbeale49:

That draft restocked the roster from the first two titles and really setup up the three-peat attempt. Would have been awesome to be in the war room during that time period.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
that movie Re-Animator is just fiction, right? RIGHT?
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Jd925:

This is a great video, I stumbled on it on YouTube a year or so ago. Based on the subject matter I think it is circa 1992-93. I loved how he showed the JT SBXXIII winner on the overhead and explained the reasoning behind it. He was 20+ years ahead of his time and really is the reason football is my favorite sport. The WCO is art IMO.

It certainly is!

I can't tell you how many times I've watched the Bill Walsh QB tapes with Joe Montana. Just absolute precision on every level!
Share 49ersWebzone