LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jimrat:
Nice read
http://grantland.com/features/aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

Thanks for that.
Packaged plays encompass a lot of WCO principles. High percentage plays that quickly gets the ball out of the QB's hands and into the hands of the playmakers in space and/or in stride. If the great white haired one was alive today, I gotta think he would have a lot of fun with packaged plays.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for that.
Packaged plays encompass a lot of WCO principles. High percentage plays that quickly gets the ball out of the QB's hands and into the hands of the playmakers in space and/or in stride. If the great white haired one was alive today, I gotta think he would have a lot of fun with packaged plays.

Exactly...I think that's the thing about the WCO, it's just not gonna look like it did. The WCO has never been about formations it's always been about concepts and principles. His offense would still terrorize defenses with a controlled passing game that's timed and is used to eventually set up the run.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks NC...great post! I think that Walsh link shoud be pinned somewhere on this forum...preferably on the Niners thread page. I've had it bookmarked on my various computers for years.

I often forget the importance of full stride speed and want guys with quick starts. But if the receiver is strong enough to get off the LOS then he has the upper hand as he knows what route he's running. I've been looking at prospects for my next mock in the late rounds who are strong enough to get off the line but might be a bit shorter or slower than the optimum...found some 6'0 225 guys with good college productivity. Ellington actually fits this criteria but is also fast...5'9" and 197 is a pretty stout guy.

My list of current players all around games: 1) Boldin, 2) Ellington, 3) Johnson, 4) Patton. I expect Lloyd and Crabtree to be gone unless a new coach wants to go WCO, in which case they may want to keep Crabtree at the right price.

I was equally disappointed they lost out on Benjamin but not sure they weren't targeting Ward all along. He may turn out to be a swiss army knife for the defensive backfield.

Terrific! I will lean on you guys heavily come draft time. Keep me posted esp. if we confirm we will run a real WCO!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Nice read
http://grantland.com/features/aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

Thanks for that.

I believe what many of us think regarding WCO is QB training. Teaching the QB to make progressive reads by knowing how the defense will play each receiver allows the QB to control the action...Montana didn't even seem to move his head at times, just knew who would be open--when. The defenses had to start taking risks to disrupt the timing of the progressions, so the better the QB could read and anticipate the more likely they could burn the D. I think of a QB like P Manning playing for Walsh...not mobile enough to be optimal but deadly accuracy and a student of the game. That would be fun to watch.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I believe what many of us think regarding WCO is QB training. Teaching the QB to make progressive reads by knowing how the defense will play each receiver allows the QB to control the action...Montana didn't even seem to move his head at times, just knew who would be open--when. The defenses had to start taking risks to disrupt the timing of the progressions, so the better the QB could read and anticipate the more likely they could burn the D. I think of a QB like P Manning playing for Walsh...not mobile enough to be optimal but deadly accuracy and a student of the game. That would be fun to watch.

That's a huge part of it. That's why the WCO is still a viable attack 35+ years (40-45 years if you count his time in Cincy) after it introduction. The concepts still defeat the defenses and when it ran at a very refined level it puts up efficienct numbers and helps teams via for titles.
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2015/01/16/bill-walsh-a-football-life-sneak-peak/

Bill Walsh "A Football Life" . . . Next Friday 1/23/15 . . . . FINALLY
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

There we go, best news all week.

Man, you're telling me. I have been waiting forever to record it. I have Jerry Rice A Football Life saved on my DVR. I love his "coming to be" story.The whole catching bricks at a young age to running that hill and being caught training after winning the superbowl while everyone else was packing up and going home.

But, I've been dying to get Bill Walsh A Football Life. That man is the reason why I love football. Can you name another coach who has had more of an impact on the game then he? When Jed said that 29 of the 32 teams used a west coast system/philosophy, I was like wow. I would have guessed 50-60% of the league but over 90%? If that doesn't make him the "god of football", I don't know what does.

The NFL owes that man everything for the money machine that is the high scoring, controlled passing offense, he built. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc, may not be FHOF QB's if not for Walsh's short, decisive passing attack.
About time!! I still have Jerry and Eddie's Football Life episodes saved. Along with America's Game, A Football Life is my favorite production on NFL Network.
Bump....Bill Walsh's "A football life" tonight on NFL network.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Yep make sure to watch it, so you all can b***h and moan about how today's 49ers don't resemble those teams, Tomsula isn't Walsh, the current FO isn't that one, etc, etc.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Bill has turned over in his grave so many times since he died he's probably unburied himself by now.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
It all must start from the top... Jed must be just like his uncle Eddie (w/o the Louisianna River Boat Scandal)...

YES ...Cant F'n Wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...DVR is set to record and I'm saving it
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
NFL Films ‏@NFLFilms

Did you know #BillWalsh tried to quit as @49ers head coach – in 1982? Watch "Bill Walsh: A Football Life" on TONIGHT at 9pmET on @nflnetwork
Share 49ersWebzone