There are 141 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
There are a lot of nfl fan sites that should have this as an ongoing thread. This man held significant influence over the league and still does today as his principles and teachings are on display right now. He is the reason I can't tolerate much yapping from other franchise fan bases as to how much we suck when they owe a lot of their teams offensive philosophy to the late great Bill Walsh

So true. Seattle currently employs so much of these principles, esp. on defense, it's almost comical. Rodgers in GB?

I have to say though, that Parcells was our kryptonite back then. Their entire defense was designed and built around disrupting the timing of our offense...tons of jam-press, blitzes, outstanding pass rush, fast LB's to cover the RB's, etc. I hated the Giants back then but I had much respect for their style of play and mentality. IIRC, one of the very best games I ever saw was a 7-3 win by the Niners on Monday Night Football. If Baalke wants to build from this mindset, I have no problems with this...becoming an intimidator. But Bill Parcells had balls and he was not afraid to pull out a trick play here and there. Bill Walsh, as you saw in this video, was the EXACT same way. Will Tomsula be the same? I think the OC is going to say everything about the identity Baalke wants this team to go in. If it's Shanahan, it may mean he wants to continue with our WCO identity on offense...Chud? Not sure...more NY Giants-style? This aspect is fascinating to me.

It's interesting that you say this because there is another thread where someone was asking about the greatest football teams of all time and I named a team that doesn't get much respect as one, the 1986 New York Giants. There was only team I ever feared and the was the New York Giants. They truly were our kryptonite. The 1985 Chicago Bears may be more of a flashier team, but not only were they a one year wonder, we historically dominated the Bears during that era. The Giants on the other hand would beat on us pretty good. We got our shots on them as well, but they were the only team in my mind that could truly stop us. I'd love it if we could get the best of both worlds. The WCO and that Giants D.

Exactly!
Originally posted by Niners816:
"I put the f**king play in paul......don't correct me on the field". I always loved that rant.

I wanna get a T-Shirt of coach and those words on the shirt ...Absolute Classic
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
"I put the f**king play in paul......don't correct me on the field". I always loved that rant.

That was an amazing scene. You just don't remember him as a guy you would picture cussing like a longshoreman on the practice field. I have to say that the Walsh "Football Life" was one of the most interesting and engrossing things I've ever seen about the Niners. And to me it was kind of sad the way Walsh was such a driven and disturbed individual. What an amazing guy he was!
  • thl408
Originally posted by crake49:

That was an amazing scene. You just don't remember him as a guy you would picture cussing like a longshoreman on the practice field. I have to say that the Walsh "Football Life" was one of the most interesting and engrossing things I've ever seen about the Niners. And to me it was kind of sad the way Walsh was such a driven and disturbed individual. What an amazing guy he was!

It makes so much sense that he was so hard on himself and was never satisfied. That's really the only way to be great at what you do - to never be satisfied, even when you achieve what is considered the pinnacle of success.

Also funny to hear how he gave the impression that he hated the "genuis" label, but those that knew him knew he liked it.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Can someone PM me a link to download it online or stream it?

if you have XBMC/KODI installed, you can watch it via the NFL.com plugin. NFL.com > Teams > SF49ers and it's broken up into like 8 parts.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by crake49:

It makes so much sense that he was so hard on himself and was never satisfied. That's really the only way to be great at what you do - to never be satisfied, even when you achieve what is considered the pinnacle of success.

Also funny to hear how he gave the impression that he hated the "genuis" label, but those that knew him knew he liked it.

he was a perfectionist , he was sort of the "Stanley Kubrick" of football, doing things over and over and over until you get it right the correct way he envisioned it, and being harsh on yourself when things didn't go exactly as planned ...we were damn lucky to have him ...Just think , if Paul Brown hadn't blackballed him, we would be talking about "Bill Walsh, the legendary coach of the Packers
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
... and remember, he was cursing at his "most prolific" offensive coordinator ever in Paul Hackett..
I wish our coaching staff would script plays like Walsh did. Kaepernick would benefit from that greatly.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 9moon:
... and remember, he was cursing at his "most prolific" offensive coordinator ever in Paul Hackett..

And the part about how he didn't yell at players, he yelled at the position coaches in hopes of making the players feel guilty. Then Holmgren says (paraphrased), "I would never do that if I became a HC." Then when Holmgren became a HC, he did exactly that.
Watched the football life about Bill some pretty good stuff in there that I didnt even know about.

Oh yah and watching that made me so better about the Tomsula hiring.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9moon:

And the part about how he didn't yell at players, he yelled at the position coaches in hopes of making the players feel guilty. Then Holmgren says (paraphrased), "I would never do that if I became a HC." Then when Holmgren became a HC, he did exactly that.

The scene where Holmgren is yelling at Mariucci and Favre is making a face as if to say "what's got his panties in a bunch" is classic.
"Finding the Winning Edge" book is really expensive, this thing is made out of Gold? lol Red and Gold? Anyone know how many 1st edition printings there is?
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I wish our coaching staff would script plays like Walsh did. Kaepernick would benefit from that greatly.

something tells me we will get back to that
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
"Finding the Winning Edge" book is really expensive, this thing is made out of Gold? lol Red and Gold? Anyone know how many 1st edition printings there is?

I saw it and I am getting it no matter the cost. I gotta have it now and read it
our offense is so predictable, defenses script our first 15 plays
Share 49erswebzone