There are 235 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We need a "We will NOT be outhit" sign again! Get the smash mouth style of play back!!
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
We need a "We will NOT be outhit" sign again! Get the smash mouth style of play back!!

That was the '81 team and it was definitely not "Smash Mouth" football. It was just a very hard-hitting defense. And the out-hit thing was all about how the Niners got NO respect from the rest of the league.
Originally posted by crake49:

That was the '81 team and it was definitely not "Smash Mouth" football. It was just a very hard-hitting defense. And the out-hit thing was all about how the Niners got NO respect from the rest of the league.

I loved the finesse label, because it simply didn't fit. Ronnie and rathman are just two examples of guys that are the exact opposite of finesse. I loved how bill used the boxing analogy of beating the opponent to the punch.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by crake49:

I loved the finesse label, because it simply didn't fit. Ronnie and rathman are just two examples of guys the exact opposite of finesse. I loved how bill used the boxing analogy of beating the opponent to the punch.

I enjoyed beating the Bears & Ditka more than any other team that called us the "F" word.
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/A-Football-Life-Bill-Walsh/97e47e1c-c18a-42bb-9eb3-3b95596217a9

The entire thing
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM ]
Even though it's not 49ers related, I would've enjoyed seeing more on his time with the Bengals. I love watching those clips because it really does look identical to what we did. I also would've liked to see a little on his early influences like Sid Gillman and Al Davis. Didn't he spend some time under both coaches before he joined the expansion Cincinnati Bengals?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Even though it's not 49ers related, I would've enjoyed seeing more on his time with the Bengals. I love watching those clips because it really does look identical to what we did. I also would've liked to see a little on his early influences like Sid Gillman and Al Davis. Didn't he spend some time under both coaches before he joined the expansion Cincinnati Bengals?

Don't fully quote me but I think his first big job was as a DC under marv levy at cal. He then crossed paths with al Davis and gillman, before moving on to his time with brown and the bengals.
I know the Football Life about Walsh that they said he missed coaching shortly after he retired and was sort of distraught when the Niners won it in 89 to give them back to back titles just a year after Walsh led them to one in 88 but what about 94 and how explosive his WC offense became that season under Young at QB? Did he want to coach that team also?
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
I know the Football Life about Walsh that they said he missed coaching shortly after he retired and was sort of distraught when the Niners won it in 89 to give them back to back titles just a year after Walsh led them to one in 88 but what about 94 and how explosive his WC offense became that season under Young at QB? Did he want to coach that team also?

I don't know if he had 5 more years left in him, he did coach stanford for '92-'94. If he would have just coached those 3 years that would have got us thru 1991 and I'm willing to bet Mike Holmgren would have been the next HC. Word was seifert was attached to be the next cleveland or denver HC for the 1989 season.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/A-Football-Life-Bill-Walsh/97e47e1c-c18a-42bb-9eb3-3b95596217a9

The entire thing

Thank you!

Just watched the entire thing. Nicely done, but 50 mins is far too short of a film for a man of his legacy. I would love to see this expanded to a 2 hour biography that talks about his upbringing, philosophy, ups and downs, and mantras in more detail.

But for something that's free, wonderfully done.

Originally posted by GEEK:

The entire thing

Thank you!

Just watched the entire thing. Nicely done, but 50 mins is far too short of a film for a man of his legacy. I would love to see this expanded to a 2 hour biography that talks about his upbringing, philosophy, ups and downs, and mantras in more detail.

well typically the "a football life" series is a 60 min program. bill walsh got a 90 min program. so he got some special treatment for sure.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

The entire thing

Thank you!

well typically the "a football life" series is a 60 min program. bill walsh got a 90 min program. so he got some special treatment for sure.

Was it 90? I just watched it and there were 8 parts that were about 7 minutes long each.
I don't know if he had 5 more years left in him, he did coach stanford for '92-'94. If he would have just coached those 3 years that would have got us thru 1991 and I'm willing to bet Mike Holmgren would have been the next HC. Word was seifert was attached to be the next cleveland or denver HC for the 1989 season.

Would the niners have 3 peated in 90 if he was there?
Was it 90? I just watched it and there were 8 parts that were about 7 minutes long each.

90 on tv with commercials
Originally posted by 49erFan816:

Would the niners have 3 peated in 90 if he was there?

I would like to think so, but the Giants of that era where our toughest rival. They also held us with out a td in 1985 & 1986 playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone