There are 232 users in the forums

Round 4, #118, the San Francisco 49ers selects Kendall Hunter (RB) Oklahoma St.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YungAce:
did he return kicks in college? i like our chances with the ball in hunter's hands at all times

Rarely, but I have a feeling he'll get a lot of touches this season.
Can Hunter be an every down back? He's about the same size as Rice and Jones-Drew
Originally posted by YungAce:
Can Hunter be an every down back? He's about the same size as Rice and Jones-Drew

Absolutely. He's thickly built. He was the everydown back at OSU. He can be a work-horse. I think we REALLY need to grind with a 3-headed attack.

But yes. Hunter can. And Baalke believes so too, and said as much in his evaluations of him.
Hunter will replace Gore. McCloughan got his Gore in the 3rd. Baalke got his Hunter in the 4th. Good for the Niners.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone else feel that with the way the OL is playing, Hunter could/would have more yards than Gore is getting?? I do.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Anyone else feel that with the way the OL is playing, Hunter could/would have more yards than Gore is getting?? I do.

idk, and I dont really care... we are winning. And if it means keeping Hunter fresh then we should be able to use him later in his career like ATL is using Turner

Harbaugh is setting Wash. up for a huge dose of Hunter
I want to see Hunter get more touches as well, but I think there is likely a method to Harb's madness. For instance, Walker didn't get one pass thrown his way against CLE, while Soap and Staley and Peelle each had one long reception. I think each week we have a plan of attack that focuses on certain players and has some other wrinkles no one would see coming, and the next week all that is switched up completely. It's possible we could see Hunter get more carries against WASH than Gore if there is something about the matchup to exploit, for instance.

I think the plan against CLE was to grind the game out with the proven workhorse, and let his particular style of running frustrate the defense. It worked pretty well.

going forward though I'd prefer to not see Gore carry that many times. We're going to need him to be going strong in the winter.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I want to see Hunter get more touches as well, but I think there is likely a method to Harb's madness. For instance, Walker didn't get one pass thrown his way against CLE, while Soap and Staley and Peelle each had one long reception. I think each week we have a plan of attack that focuses on certain players and has some other wrinkles no one would see coming, and the next week all that is switched up completely. It's possible we could see Hunter get more carries against WASH than Gore if there is something about the matchup to exploit, for instance.

I think the plan against CLE was to grind the game out with the proven workhorse, and let his particular style of running frustrate the defense. It worked pretty well.

going forward though I'd prefer to not see Gore carry that many times. We're going to need him to be going strong in the winter.

I have a feeling that Jim wanted Gore to break that record in SF.
Originally posted by jreff22:

i thought that too, that he wanted it to be Gore's day.

I know Frank is close to breaking the all time record so what will Jim do? I think he feeds Gore enough for the win but holds him back to break the record back home again.

I think so, on hunters runs even when there is no hole, he seems to find one and get 6 yards.

I know Frank is close to breaking the all time record so what will Jim do? I think he feeds Gore enough for the win but holds him back to break the record back home again.

Unless Gore has an all-time brilliant game @ Wash, he'll break the record at home. I do think we'll see more balance between Gore and Hunter next week, and the closer Gore gets to the record, the more he'll get the ball until he breaks it.

agree
if he starts getting more carries going into the 2nd half of the season then I think he's going to have some huge games. I notice we don't throw to him either, I'd like to see them put him in space and see what he can do
Share 49ersWebzone