There are 370 users in the forums

If we still had Shaun Hill, we'd have won this game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One must first consider the TEAMS they're playing on when making QB comparison this year.

I haven't kept track of Hill, but I can't for the life of me realistically believe that the LIONS are equal or better than the 49er's in player talent.

So, as far as I'm concerned if Hill's number are equal to that of Alex Smith, then Hill has done a better job with what he has to play with.
why did management choose carr over hill??
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
We would have probably won if Alex didn't get hurt.

He was having a pretty good day until the injury. Carr certainly isn't better.

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

They are going to list CarrEXCUSES:

The word doesn't exist. Carr just plain sucks, and doesn't need excuses for his play. We knew that going into this game. We (at least 'I') just didn't know how badly he sucked until now.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
yeah, noodles would be killing right now

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...
  • evil
  • Veteran

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

They are going to list CarrEXCUSES:

Originally posted by ftbl899:
If we had alex smith for the whole game we would have won this game...whats your point?

against the worst team in football, am I supposed to get excited about that? Smith played very average when you consider this was the worst team in football he was playing. Regardless, yes, we would have won with Smith, thanks in large part to our defense and to an easy dropped TD in the endzone by their WR Gettis.

they might be a poor overall team, but they had the 12th ranked defense in the league coming into todays game, while our defense gave up 23 points to the 32nd ranked offense.
If we had alex smith for the whole game we would have won this game...whats your point?

And you know this because..?

Alex Smith did what he's been doing since Mike Johnson became OC. He came in hot, scored on the first drive and didn't do a damn thing after that. What makes you think he would have won this game? The outcome probably would have been the same with Smith in there. Did you already forget about the drive-killing and game-losing turnovers Alex caused earlier in the season? Or are you one of the guys that said those losses were a "team effort" but somehow when it's a different QB under question, it's the QB's fault? As long as it's not Alex, right?

Carr threw a game-ending INT, but Alex made similar game-killing mistakes earlier in the season. Somehow, the blame on Alex was shifted elsewhere every time, but once a different QB does it, it's all on the QB. Our defense sucked ass today, so why is it Carr's fault? Keep in mind I am not trying to defend Carr, I think he blows and I never wanted to see him in the first place, but it's ridiculous how Alex gets a pass all the time.

Judging by the way things were going for Alex Smith after the first drive, I doubt the outcome would have been any different if he hadn't gotten hurt.
I mean regardless it seems like you are trying to say Shaun Hill was the answer to our problems and we should have kept him. Well I hope you arent saying that actually but im not sure what your point is. IMO we could be a very good football team with smith as our starting QB. Assuming we had a competent coaching staff. Which we do not.

against the worst team in football, am I supposed to get excited about that? Smith played very average when you consider this was the worst team in football he was playing. Regardless, yes, we would have won with Smith, thanks in large part to our defense and to an easy dropped TD in the endzone by their WR Gettis.

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

I think you're the one forgetting how he looked. He did nothing to get benched. Even the announcers were discussing that. They just needed a change of pace and Alex provided that, then they stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You're just BSing now.
If we still had Joe Montana, we would have won this game!...

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Did he play the whole game or get knocked out with an injury?
  • rob28
  • Veteran
i agree hill would have won that game but that was then and....

the nate davis experience is now, put him in sing!

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Did he play the whole game or get knocked out with an injury?

Isnt that his game stats average anyways
  • ZRF80

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I think you're the one forgetting how he looked. He did nothing to get benched. Even the announcers were discussing that. They just needed a change of pace and Alex provided that, then they stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You're just BSing now.

Are you kidding me? We couldn't get the ball downfield for six quarters. They didn't bench him for fun. He was playing horrible. We were getting our a55 handed to us in Houston.

This is the bottom line, Smith is the best option by far. Hill is decent, but come on, we aren't gonna win a superbowl with him. We can use our entire playbook with Smith. I know you despise him, but he was actually playing better before the injury.

Btw, Hill is gone. Do you want Carr to continue to play? Or, do you have confidence in Troy Smith or Nate Davis?
Share 49ersWebzone