LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 485 users in the forums

Irreplacable players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who are your players who you believe are either or could be players we need to have to succeed long term?

It can be 5, 10 or even 15 depending on how you feel about our depth.

So have at It.
P Willis

Vernon

Davis, Iupati

Gore

Goldson

Crabtree
  • Pintor73
  • Info N/A
willis all pro gore pro bowler davis pro bowler crabtree and goldson future pro bowlers we need a qb to step up who that'll be ? for us to stay on top of the division. We've built this team for us to succeed this year and beyond wr (check) rb (check) o-line (check) te (check) defense (check) no more excuses for alex not to succeedor else
Originally posted by spizzy:
P Willis

Vernon

Davis, Iupati

Gore

Goldson

Crabtree

agreed 100%

Here is mine, in no particular order.

1. RB 21 Frank Gore- Has been a workhorse his entire career, and will be till he retires, and hopefully a Niner for life.
2. WR 15 Michael Crabtree- Shown flashes of greatness. Will be our #1 guy for years and years.
3. TE 85 Vernon Davis- Needs extension ASAP, kind of player you want on your team, hard worker, and great athlete.
4. C 66 Eric Heitmann- May not be popular, but I love Heitmann, he is our anchor, and should stay for a while longer.
5. LT 74 Joe Staley- Many are skeptical of Staley, due to his 47M deal, but he will prove his worth.
6. DE 94 Justin Smith- Pro Bowler for 1st time, deserves a extension soon, he is the best 3-4 End IMO.
7. OLB 55 Ahmad Brooks- Love him, but will need to prove it as a starter and I think he will.
8. ILB 52 Patrick Willis- Pro Bowler, All Pro, need I say more, our team leader.
9. CB 36 Shawntae Spencer- Love him, was skeptical of him after his extension, but he has proven me and many wrong.
10. FS 38 Dashon Goldson- FREAKISH Athlete. Needs a extension, I hope rosenhaus isn’t a prick and lets us get a decent deal done.
11. PK 6 Joe Nedney- Will kick till he cant anymore.
12. P 4 Andy Lee- Same as Nedney.
13. LS 86 Brian Jennings- BEST LS in the game.

Players who I think will be after a few yrs in the league

1. LG 77 Mike Iupati- I see him as the LG for a while.
2. RT 76 Anthony Davis- Athletic, just needs some maturing, similar to Vernon, and Sing will bring it out.
3. ILB 53 Navorro Bowman- I like Bowman, I think he is our new ILB next to Willis in the future
4. SS 23 Taylor Mays- Hitter, Baller, will be the SS of the future, once Lewis retires.

Will be if they have a good yr in 2010.

1. QB 11 Alex Smith- Needs a solid 2010 to get a extension, our season really relies on him.
2. WR/RS 19 Ted Ginn Jr.- Needs to prove he isn’t a bust, and I hope he does.
3. NT 92 Aubrayo Franklin- Mainly if he wants to return long term.
4. OLB 99 Manny Lawson- If he wants a big deal, he better step it up in 2010.
5. CB 22 Nate Clements- I loved the signing, Im rooting for him.

Needs heading forward.

Top Shut down CB
#2 WR
Heir to Frank Gore
NT Of the Future
RG of the future
Gore
Willis
Franklin
J.Smith
Crabtree
V.Davis
Goldston
Staley
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by spizzy:
P Willis

Vernon

Davis, Iupati

Gore

Goldson

Crabtree

agreed 100%

Here is mine, in no particular order.

1. RB 21 Frank Gore- Has been a workhorse his entire career, and will be till he retires, and hopefully a Niner for life.
2. WR 15 Michael Crabtree- Shown flashes of greatness. Will be our #1 guy for years and years.
3. TE 85 Vernon Davis- Needs extension ASAP, kind of player you want on your team, hard worker, and great athlete.
4. C 66 Eric Heitmann- May not be popular, but I love Heitmann, he is our anchor, and should stay for a while longer.
5. LT 74 Joe Staley- Many are skeptical of Staley, due to his 47M deal, but he will prove his worth.
6. DE 94 Justin Smith- Pro Bowler for 1st time, deserves a extension soon, he is the best 3-4 End IMO.
7. OLB 55 Ahmad Brooks- Love him, but will need to prove it as a starter and I think he will.
8. ILB 52 Patrick Willis- Pro Bowler, All Pro, need I say more, our team leader.
9. CB 36 Shawntae Spencer- Love him, was skeptical of him after his extension, but he has proven me and many wrong.
10. FS 38 Dashon Goldson- FREAKISH Athlete. Needs a extension, I hope rosenhaus isn’t a prick and lets us get a decent deal done.
11. PK 6 Joe Nedney- Will kick till he cant anymore.
12. P 4 Andy Lee- Same as Nedney.
13. LS 86 Brian Jennings- BEST LS in the game.

Players who I think will be after a few yrs in the league

1. LG 77 Mike Iupati- I see him as the LG for a while.
2. RT 76 Anthony Davis- Athletic, just needs some maturing, similar to Vernon, and Sing will bring it out.
3. ILB 53 Navorro Bowman- I like Bowman, I think he is our new ILB next to Willis in the future
4. SS 23 Taylor Mays- Hitter, Baller, will be the SS of the future, once Lewis retires.

Will be if they have a good yr in 2010.

1. QB 11 Alex Smith- Needs a solid 2010 to get a extension, our season really relies on him.
2. WR/RS 19 Ted Ginn Jr.- Needs to prove he isn’t a bust, and I hope he does.
3. NT 92 Aubrayo Franklin- Mainly if he wants to return long term.
4. OLB 99 Manny Lawson- If he wants a big deal, he better step it up in 2010.
5. CB 22 Nate Clements- I loved the signing, Im rooting for him.

Needs heading forward.

Top Shut down CB
#2 WR
Heir to Frank Gore
NT Of the Future
RG of the future

not a fan of rachal i take it
Who are your players who you believe are either or could be players we need to have to succeed long term?

So have at It.

So what are you going to change your username to, now that Battle is in Pittsburgh?

Regarding the topic, only a hand full of players really matter long term.

LT Joe Staley
LB Patrick Willis
TE Vernon Davis
WR Michael Crabtree
FS Dashon Goldson

Ranked by team importance.

Everyone else, while important, is interchangeable.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Gore
Crabtree
V. Davis
Staley
J. Smith
A. Brooks
P. Willis
S. Spencer
Lee
Jennings
A. Franklin
Iupati
A. Davis
A. Smith
Bowman
T. Mays
1. Patrick Willis

2. Frank Gore

3. Aubrayo Franklin

4. Vernon Davis

5. Joe Staley

6. Justin Smith

7. Michael Crabtree

Those are probably the biggest ones for me. After that I would consider Heitman, Takeo Spikes and Goldson.

I'm surprised Aubrayo Franklin is getting so little love in this. I mean we're listing kickers and long snappers before him??? LOL He plays the most important position in a 3-4 defense and in my opinion was one of the 4 or 5 best at his position last year. He has the thankless job of eating up blocks and allowing guys like Willis and Co. to fly around and make plays. His value will never show up in his stat lines. Read some of what Patrick Willis has said about him.
[ Edited by Druckenmiller14 on May 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM ]
Willis, VD, Crabtree, Justin Smith, Andy Lee

• Nuns
  • Veteran

So have at It.

Irreplacable players = players that cannot be replaced by a better player = best players in the league at their position.

The answer:

Patrick Willis
Andy Lee

If you are asking players that cannot be replaced by better players in the current free agent market, than the list grows as long as my johnson.
While I would love to put some of draft picks on there, odds are some of them will dissappear or fizzle out with lackluster play.... that being said, irreplaceables are in no particular order...

Willis - no explanation needed
TKO - great complement to Willis. Hopefully train Bowman before retirement/trade
Crabtree - will be #1 for years to come
V. Davis - just reaching his true potential. Going to redefine the TE position
Staley - Solid tackle. Not the best, but a great asset and team player
Heitmann - Solid center
Franklin - great underrated NT
J. Smith - dude is involved in every play, whether it be opening holes or QB pressure
Gore - a staple of our offense, with a powerful running ability
Spencer - While not the best, he is solid and easily a #1 or #2 on most teams
Lee - one of best punters in league
Jennings - best LS out there

These guys are on the cusp meaning if a great trade offer arose, I would be okay with trading them...
Goldson - While appears to be growing, has not done a whole lot yet
Brooks - may be a great pass rusher, but still has yet to truly shine
Anyone besides Willis and VD is replacable
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Nate Davis

/thread
Why do you all have Gore listed in the top 5?

it says long term... Gore will be a below average NFL back withing 2 years.... in addition, with a strong O-line moving forward, RB is obviously the easiest position in the NFL to replace.
Share 49ersWebzone