LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

Dallas Morning News says Niners could be SB Contender

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think we are that good yet but we are better than we have been.
I just wanna get to the playoffs first, then anything can happen!
  • morocka49er
  • Info N/A
i think its everyone goal this yr to not just make the playoffs but win the west, imo if we don't make the playoffs, then its a fail season and we need to go get a QB through FA or draft a QB in the first round next yr. as for SB i think once we in the playoffs we make it to the NFC championship if not the SB, but anything can happen when that comes
I'd say we're a contender for the playoffs. We just have too many variables to be anything else.

-9fA
Originally posted by BobS:
I would say that is premature. Working in two rookies on the offensive line and a rookie under achiever in the secondary, I would say 2011 is the year to expect contender status from the 49ers. After 8-8 last year a normal progression would be to just make the play-offs.

We worked in 3 Rookies in the starting secondary during the '81 season. I fail to see how starting a Rookie has any bearing on the outcome of the season. Either they can do it or they can't. I don't see this team going forward after 3 games if they can't do the job. Especially with Solari and Brown coaching that unit.

That's not to say that we're Super Bowl bound. But even with Rookies on the starting squad, it can be done.

Anyone know of another team that went to the Super Bowl with 1 more Rookies on the Starting Unit?

I think the Raiders did in their last run. I know there have been teams to succeed with rookies on their Line. I just can't think clearly right now.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Define Super Bowl contender?

I think divisional playoff game is best case scenario because if we end up going to Green Bay or New Orleans season's over with.

a team which is in contention to win the Super Bowl.

How far do you go down the list is what I meant.

I think we're clearly a division winner, but to me Super Bowl contender is top 4 and we're nowhere near that level.
that would be nice, its been a while since we had a winner in town
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the biggest x factor is how quick the Oline gels and how much better Alex is in year two. If the line is in the top ten and we see the best Alex in 6 years no reason we cant compete in the NFC.

True story....i can't wait for camp to get here.
The three teams mentioned, plus the packers and the falcons are better NFC teams right now...that being said, our team has an unbelievably high ceiling of potential which hinges predominately on Alex Smith/Rookie Olinemen...its an all or nothing season for Alex
stop b***hing guys we're gonna win the super bowl! f**k yeah!!!

I'm a big 49ers fan but I had to laugh out loud @ SB contender this year...lmao
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

i wouldnt say no i mean the only real thing stopping us last year was an o line and a return game on paper we fixed both if they pan out i wouldnt say we cant make the superbowl
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

i wouldnt say no i mean the only real thing stopping us last year was an o line and a return game on paper we fixed both if they pan out i wouldnt say we cant make the superbowl

Quarterback and secondary play was well below average as well. Alex is still Alex, and our secondary still has some pretty big question marks.
Based on all known information I think SB is unlikely. However, you guys act like in todays NFL it is uncommon to go from worst to first. There are a lot of teams that have gone from 4-12 to 12-4 in a season and become legit Superbowl contenders. This isn't the eighties.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Based on all known information I think SB is unlikely. However, you guys act like in todays NFL it is uncommon to go from worst to first. There are a lot of teams that have gone from 4-12 to 12-4 in a season and become legit Superbowl contenders. This isn't the eighties.

They had HOF QBs and All Pro WRs, we have Alex Smith and only Crabtree. Not saying Smith won't get us there, but let's wait and see. I like what I saw with Smith last year though...same goes for Crabtree.
Share 49ersWebzone