LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Dallas Morning News says Niners could be SB Contender

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is from Gerry Fraley of the Morning News.

"Aside from the Saints, the Vikings and the Cowboys, which other NFC team do you see a contender for the Super Bowl?
It might be a year too soon, but San Francisco seems to be on a decided rise. The Niners won five of their final eight last year. Not earth-shattering but worth noting."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/050710dnspofraleychatbreakdown2.1c5a0d3.html

Looks like the national media is beginning to take the Niners seriously this year.
Originally posted by KOniner:

"Aside from the Saints, the Vikings and the Cowboys, which other NFC team do you see a contender for the Super Bowl?
It might be a year too soon, but San Francisco seems to be on a decided rise. The Niners won five of their final eight last year. Not earth-shattering but worth noting."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/050710dnspofraleychatbreakdown2.1c5a0d3.html

Looks like the national media is beginning to take the Niners seriously this year.

same thing happened last year, then we took the field.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I would say that is premature. Working in two rookies on the offensive line and a rookie under achiever in the secondary, I would say 2011 is the year to expect contender status from the 49ers. After 8-8 last year a normal progression would be to just make the play-offs.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
We COULD be the worst team in the NFL too.

Nobody knows.

Hopefully that doesn't happen but as stated before, its way too premature to be calling us SB contenders yet.
I'm a diehard.

Having said that I think thats awfully premature and seems more like a situation in which he was asked a question he hadn't been prepared to answer. This team has talent, and stranger things have happened. But an awful lot would have to go right for this team to be a SB contender next season, or even 2012 imo.

[ Edited by WINiner on May 9, 2010 at 09:23:45 ]
  • TFSP
That's good and bad!

As a fan, I like our team to fly under the radar. I always enjoy being the 'underdawg'!!! Even in the Madden I sub-in Nate Davis, just so that I can say to the person I beat, "you lost to a 3rd string QB rated 68, WHATTT!!!"

But much more importantly, getting national recognition is not good because weaker teams play harder to teams like us that's on the rise. Somewhat like we used to do the last 7 plus years. If a s**tty team can keep it close, then anything can happen. Like how the Raiderettes won several games to very good teams last year, because those teams looked over them. Great teams dominate the s**tty teams all the time, but good teams look pass the s**tty teams most of the time. As much as I enjoyed the 2 games we lost too, by Minn and Indy, both teams had to get heroic to win those games. Did they over look us?

Now that I think about it any good team could be a Super Bowl contender based on the their schedule. The league likes us this year. We have a bye week in the middle of the season, and 4 away games in the 1st 4 games of the season. Then we play the boo-boo AFC west. Only 2 long trips, London and GB.

The league likes Coach Sing. Our team has a feel good story to it. The only knuckle-heads are the rookies, which will get b***h slapped by Willis, TKO, Justin Smith, V-Davis, and company. Our 5 year team history has the the type of story that will get talked about all OVER ESPN(fake as channel) this year if we win 10 plus games throughout this season.

The real question here is look at all of our opponents this season and research how many have dominate run defenses?

[ Edited by TFSP on May 9, 2010 at 09:50:11 ]
I don't know. The rams went from crap to SuperBowl in like 99 and many teams have made big leaps from say 7-9 to 11 or 12 wins before. We already proved we could hang with the Vikings this last season in the Dome!

I don't think we do however make it but we are in pretty decent shape to make a strong run if we make the playoffs. We do have some good talent and soon we shall see.

I feel a better case can be made for the next season after these rookie O linemen have a year under the system. I think it all depends on what Alex Smith does as he seems to be the weakest link. If he turns lights out then we could very well do it. I'd be all for it.....
As Alex Smith goes we go...
We should do pretty well next year but against a favorable schedule. 10-6 or 11-5 look like possibilities with a playoff berth.

Problem then is the schedule will be tougher and we will be on team's radars the year after this one. That is when we make a super bowl push.
sounds about right.

Define Super Bowl contender?

I think divisional playoff game is best case scenario because if we end up going to Green Bay or New Orleans season's over with.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Define Super Bowl contender?

I think divisional playoff game is best case scenario because if we end up going to Green Bay or New Orleans season's over with.

a team which is in contention to win the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I know right, paper is so much more different than what is presented onto the football field.
Originally posted by niteshade80:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I know right, paper is so much more different than what is presented onto the football field.

not always...

• BIG47BULL
  • Info N/A
Lets pump our brakes abit gang.. Yes I think we r better and yes I feel that we shoul dwin the West and make a playoff run.. But I'd rather take the league by storm adn keep our camp hush hush until Regular season and then unleash the dogs when it counts.. thats why you arent hearing tht Gore has added abt 5 - 8 mor epunds of muscle, crabtree bulking up.. and Delanie Walker getting even faster. I can say that I have a buddy of mine who works with the equipment guy adn he says that in looking at the defensive guys coming back.. We are probably as fast and strong as defensive team that we've ever had.. and the League is really sleeping on us..
Share 49ersWebzone