LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are 2 play away from making it this year! Favres last second play and VDs TD drop against Seattle. I think it safe to say we should make the playoffs in 2010. And Anybody who says other wise needs to pull their head out of their ass.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Reasons why we will make the playoffs in 2010:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

Alex Smith's continued development:
- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

Improvements of the O-line:
- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

Alex has regressed to what he was in the last few weeks. It's too bad, I like the kid, but he's just not the 1 imo.

It is too bad. Many have all but given up on him. I feel like he is not improving each week, but honestly, what better option out there is there for QB? I expect a similar 8-9 win season in 2010, unless one of two things happen...

a) Our defense really steps up and plays consistently enough to keep the niners in games. This could happen with some key FA pickups or draft pickups. We can't afford for both sides of the ball to be average...

b) Dramatic Oline improvement, meaning new coaching, players, or all of the above. I can't figure out the huge discrepancy there is from week to week. I believe Alex is good enough to carry a team, but really needs a killer Oline to succeed. He does not consistently make plays when nothing is there, as some QBs have a knack to do.

Since our D is improving, I think option A is more feasible, where as long as our offense doesn't screw up too much, we could improve to a better than .500 record.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Holy s**t man! You've already seen the 2010 season? And you know that Alex Smith is going to suck on 3rd downs and the in the 4th quarter with a better O-Line? We sucked on all of our road games again? And you know our talent is s**tty? We drafted bad players didn't we? I'm sure you know they're already a bust, too. Didn't go after Mankins or Bush or Merriman? Wow, our offseason, draft, TC, preseason, and all 16 games must have been rough for you to already watch.

Damn... Guess I won't watch football in 2010 and won't follow the offseason since you already know these are staples in our team for 2010.

LOL...this!
We have to look at the strength of schedule next year too. This year we had the third or fourth easiest and next year we have the 12th easiest so it will be much tougher.
Hmmm.... perhaps we should wait until
1) Free agent signings
2) Draft
3) half of the 2010 season.

This is as worse as a Mock Draft of 2010 in June of 2009...
Originally posted by GEEK:
Reasons why we will make the playoffs in 2010:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

Alex Smith's continued development:
- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

Improvements of the O-line:
- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

nice post
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
We have to look at the strength of schedule next year too. This year we had the third or fourth easiest and next year we have the 12th easiest so it will be much tougher.

that is not saying much seems how we were pretty much in every game except the ATL and PHI game
Originally posted by jreff22:

This!
Originally posted by susweel:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

Reason #7

Negative threads like this one.

Yeah, what the kid above said.

Thanks for telling us the team won't make the playoffs next season. Now I can find something else to do during that time. Can you tell us who is going to win the Super Bowl? I could use some money.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

that is not saying much seems how we were pretty much in every game except the ATL and PHI game

LOL what? I'm saying we have a tougher schedule next year.
I agree this 2009 team will not make the playoffs in 2010. But lets see what personal we get for the 2010 team to make a playoff run.
GTFO with this BS post....

Share 49ersWebzone