There are 182 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by susweel:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

• TDking876
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:
Reasons why we will make the playoffs in 2010:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

Alex Smith's continued development:
- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

Improvements of the O-line:
- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

THANK YOU
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.[/quote
  • Chief
  • Veteran
WTF is a Susweel?
How about this from MM-

The 49ers own the No. 29-ranked offense in the NFL. The 49ers are tied for fourth in the league with plus-9 in the takeaway-giveaway margin. Of the 11 teams with plus-4 or better, the 49ers are the only team with a sub-.500 record.
hey Sus...can you please tell me the California lottery #s for next week, and 2010 American Idol winner...and and 2010's biggest loser champion....and the winner between pac man and mayweather...please please please tell me please.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

I agree with the continuity thing but I just don't want folks to over hype that aspect as if that will be the sole reason for this team making the playoffs. Last off season the majority of this board was good with the fact that this team didn't make any attempt to better the roster. Many believed the team was just gonna be better due to Sing's motivational coaching. Continuity is a good thing but this team still needs better horses on the field. i agree with o line they gotta get that fixed 1st and foremost. Get that fixed and I believe this si a playoff team ..

Continuity is great if you have the right players to begin with. Players with skill sets that will be maximized in the system you're running. We have too many players with talent but are not really suited to what we do.
Continuity of what? We have run two completely different systems in one year which is unheard of in the NFL. Good teams usually decide on a system and all the players they get from that day forward fit that system. Look at Philly, Indy, N.E. McNabb, Peyton, Brady leave the game for different reasons and Kolb, Sorgi and Cassel come in, run the same offense and put up good numbers. We have to re-invent the wheel mid season because Hill and Smith have different strengths and can't run the same offense.
Scot is the reason we are talking about next year and not the playoffs this year.

Good points. When you think of all the good teams in the league you can immediately point otu there identities. I thought that sing would bring an actual identity to the team but the o line and Smith's inability to play under center hasn't allowed him to do that. I give him props for not be overly stubborn, but this team needs one direction and stick with it. Hopefully that happens this off season. I like the continuity let's just pray the GM adds better talent that fits right in and takes teh team to the next level.
bad ownership...bad front office...bad GM...same result...next year this time, we will be saying the same things...

Continuity on offense:

THIS!

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

He's not accurate on short ones either.

I want Smith to go into the offseason as the #1 QB on the depth chart. Unfortunately, I don't think he's ever going to be better than he is right now which is average and inconsistent. I hope I'm wrong but I know I'm right.

Singletary is a rookie head coach and I believe he will learn from his mistakes unlike that dumbass Nolan. I'm hoping with the first 3-4 picks we solve our biggest weakness. 3rd downs on offense & defense.
lets just forfeit the season then..is 2011 our year Susweel?

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

Most of these reasons should go into the "Reasons why will not make the playoffs in 2009" column. -2010 will be a different year with different problems (and I mean this on a positive note) cause I have faith that most of these issues honestly require time and chemistry to sort out.

For reason #1 its been plenty of time, with him in the center we're toasted again.

But lets have faith....
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
lets just forfeit the season then..is 2011 our year Susweel?

exactly...

49ers should not even play because it the following things wont matter

-improvement of players
-FA signings
-Draft choices

etc etc etc...
shut up

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

or how about you erase all that, and just put "we will not make the playoffs in 2010 because our OL sucks balls."

period.

want to blame smith? think again. i will be the first person to condemn alex smith as a QB, if he proves to be terrible AFTER we fix our OL.

common theme? Alex Smith has NEVER had even a decent OL to block for him. not once in his career. all you guys want to dogpile on smith and blame all your lives problems on him, yet you fail to see whats in front of your face.

Alex Smith drops back, and is immediately being chased backwards by 1,, 2, 3+ defenders. he barely gets the ball thrown away. instead of going "hey! where are those 5 ogre sized men that were supposed to be protecting him!?" you guys go "duurrrr! Smith sucks! he cant even run away from the defenderz!!!"

theres a reason Smith cant step up in the pocket and fire a accurate pass in. do you know what it is? ITS BECAUSE HES FLAT ON HIS BACK.

holy freakin crap guys. act like you know something about football. Peyton Manning would be an awful QB with a line like ours. its like this simple concept nobody can comprehend. when Alex Smith gets time, he looks great in the pocket, but it happens so rarely, people forget.
Unless #4 (Singletary) makes huge strides compaired to the horrible coaching job he has done this season then he will be the biggest reason for another failure of a season once again.
Share 49ersWebzone