LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.
[ Edited by susweel on Dec 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM ]
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
who is why?

and what playoffs will he miss in 2010?
No where on your list is oline? Seriously the QB is rated a head of that?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by taney71:

check reason # 5
I agree with reason #1
I believe that it is possible for a team, its players and its coaches to improve. For this reason, I disagree with most of your conclusions.
Let's see what changes we make to the roster next year before we start writing the 2010 season off.
Only thing I agree with that you listed is that Alex Smith is not the answer to our QB problems and that we lack a little speed in the secondary.

We havent even gone through an offseason, free agency, the draft, etc. I think we are far from an elite team, we are definitely not a bottom feeder team like the rams, browns, raiders, tampa bay... but first we need to cut that bum wearing #11, and move on from there.
This year is kind of like the final straw for some of us. Why have optimism? We were so damn amped up in the beginning of the year, again. I won't have any optimism until we actually make the playoffs. Hard to stay positive after this year. We will have the same team probably, so if we couldn't make it this year there is a good chance nothing will change next year.

Alex Smith will be the reason we miss the playoffs next year.
im pretty sure the Oline will be fixed but it wont help out because we dont have a REAL Quarterback

Originally posted by susweel:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

Most of these reasons should go into the "Reasons why will not make the playoffs in 2009" column. -2010 will be a different year with different problems (and I mean this on a positive note) cause I have faith that most of these issues honestly require time and chemistry to sort out.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by taney71:

check reason # 5

Ok. I would push that to number 1 or 2 on the list.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Let's see what changes we make to the roster next year before we start writing the 2010 season off.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Reasons why we will make the playoffs in 2010:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

Alex Smith's continued development:
- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

Improvements of the O-line:
- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories
Share 49ersWebzone