LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
GTFO with this BS post....

And then some of us wonder why the league laughs at our fans. Here the TEAM is vying to finish at a record 8-8, that they havent had in years.

But nope they'd rather have drastic downfall, then improvement upon games. The Team is rooting to finish on top, but we as fans cant even support em

Thats whats sickening
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Thanks for telling us the team won't make the playoffs next season. Now I can find something else to do during that time. Can you tell us who is going to win the Super Bowl? I could use some money.

yea i know rite now i have to find something else to do for a while year cuz the off season and draft is pointless now, o well, i wonder what channel soccer comes on
Originally posted by susweel:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

Reason #1 - agreed.

Reason #2 - I don't know if you've noticed or not, but teams change every year. I know that can be said for individual players as well, but I don't see Alex Smith getting much better so I still agree with reason #1.

Just because we couldn't win on the road THIS YEAR doesn't mean we won't be able to next year. Not only will our team be different, others will as well, some for the worst. Continuity is more important than people think and while I think Jimmy Raye is an awful OC, he has shown the willingness to change the gameplans when one is clearly not working. So while I don't think we'll have one of the better offenses next year, I think it will be better than this year because of that continuity and we will be sticking with the same system for the second consecutive year, which will be a first for us over the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Reason #3 - the defense is only going to get better. It is good most of the time, very good some of the time. I agree it's not great, but it will only get better IMO. With even a slightly improved offense, the defense won't need to be GREAT to win games.

Reason #4 - agreed. Singletary's "old school" style doesn't cut it. This is not the 80s and he needs to realize that. He is a great motivator and leader of men, all he needs to do is abandon the philosophies that no longer work.

Reason #5 - agreed, to an extent. Our secondary will be fine if we get a consistent pass rush. We may have found it with Ahmad Brooks. Maybe you've forgotten, but there's something called free agency and another thing they call the NFL Draft, in which we can obtain players to meet our needs.

Reason #6 - yeah, when we needed a CB, what did he do? When we needed a safety, what did he do? When we needed a NT to get our 3-4 defense going, what did he do? When we needed a replacement for Derek Smith and his one-eyed, missed tackle performances, what did he do?

Oh that's right, he got Clements, Michael Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin and Patrick f*cking WILLIS.

Look, I don't like McCloughan myself, but he has addressed needs. He just hasn't addressed the ones you want him to in that particular year. Everyone knows they need to address the O-Line, but he tried that by drafting Staley and Rachal. Just because he didn't address it LAST YEAR doesn't mean he will be opposed to addressing it THIS YEAR. It's obvious we need to address the line this year and as much as I may dislike McCloughan, I don't doubt he will do what needs to be done. There is no reason a guy like Frank Gore shouldn't be running wild in a run-first offense unless the line can't handle it, which McCloughan has to know.
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
I'm sure the falcons fans said the same thing after their 2007 season

Another start to a long offseason
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Reason #1 - agreed.

Reason #2 - I don't know if you've noticed or not, but teams change every year. I know that can be said for individual players as well, but I don't see Alex Smith getting much better so I still agree with reason #1.

Just because we couldn't win on the road THIS YEAR doesn't mean we won't be able to next year. Not only will our team be different, others will as well, some for the worst. Continuity is more important than people think and while I think Jimmy Raye is an awful OC, he has shown the willingness to change the gameplans when one is clearly not working. So while I don't think we'll have one of the better offenses next year, I think it will be better than this year because of that continuity and we will be sticking with the same system for the second consecutive year, which will be a first for us over the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Reason #3 - the defense is only going to get better. It is good most of the time, very good some of the time. I agree it's not great, but it will only get better IMO. With even a slightly improved offense, the defense won't need to be GREAT to win games.

Reason #4 - agreed. Singletary's "old school" style doesn't cut it. This is not the 80s and he needs to realize that. He is a great motivator and leader of men, all he needs to do is abandon the philosophies that no longer work.

Reason #5 - agreed, to an extent. Our secondary will be fine if we get a consistent pass rush. We may have found it with Ahmad Brooks. Maybe you've forgotten, but there's something called free agency and another thing they call the NFL Draft, in which we can obtain players to meet our needs.

Reason #6 - yeah, when we needed a CB, what did he do? When we needed a safety, what did he do? When we needed a NT to get our 3-4 defense going, what did he do? When we needed a replacement for Derek Smith and his one-eyed, missed tackle performances, what did he do?

Oh that's right, he got Clements, Michael Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin and Patrick f*cking WILLIS.

Look, I don't like McCloughan myself, but he has addressed needs. He just hasn't addressed the ones you want him to in that particular year. Everyone knows they need to address the O-Line, but he tried that by drafting Staley and Rachal. Just because he didn't address it LAST YEAR doesn't mean he will be opposed to addressing it THIS YEAR. It's obvious we need to address the line this year and as much as I may dislike McCloughan, I don't doubt he will do what needs to be done. There is no reason a guy like Frank Gore shouldn't be running wild in a run-first offense unless the line can't handle it, which McCloughan has to know.

These two things are huge.
I can't predict the future, so I can't say if we'll make the playoffs next season

But, I do know this team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. This team was close to having a winning season.

If improvements are made on the O-line and the return game, this team will be on it's way to a winning season next year.
[ Edited by AKfanster on Dec 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM ]

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

stop being a 49er fan
Someone posted earlier that we would have made the playoffs this year but for two plays - the one in the Minnesota game and the Davis dropped pass/F. Gores fumble in the same game. That would put us at 9 and 6 going into the game with the Rams. With our potential win against the Rams we would have been 10 and 6.

In addition we lost 6 games by 7 points or less. Pretty good for an up and coming team.

I think we will get into the playoffs next year for the following reason:

1. Continuity of the offense. There will be no new system this year and no new OC. Smith will have the opportunity to learn the offense and get the offense established.

2. We will address the Oline during the offseason. Hopefully by getting a new Oline coach, getting a RT and an OG. Then hopefully we will have our Oline in place and again it will give A. Smith a solid front and at least 1 more second to survey.

3. We will get a punt returner. This alone would have saved us three games this year.

4. Brooks, Harolson, and Lawson will develop more pass rushing skills. Briggs may have a chance to develop as well, and the hope we will get another OLB/DE to work with. This should give us another 7 sacks next year.

5. Hopefully Balmer will grow more and be able take Sop's place on the Dline to be a match to J. Smith and increase the pass rush from the dline while maintaining our very good run defense.

6. We will draft another CB to give us some backfield speed.

7. We will also get one more RB/WR to increase our offensive speed.

8. Singletary will have full season under his belt and will have tightened up the little details that effect his game planning.

This will give us at least 2 more wins and we should be in the 10 win area and make the playoffs.
Reasons this thread is horrible:

#1 Reason: This season hasn't even ended.

#2 Reason: The oline is the biggest problem and wasn't actually mentioned.

#3 Reason: There needs to be an offseason to make a fair prediction of the outcome of 2010.

#4 Reason: Crabtree will have a full offseason to prepare with the team.

#5 Reason: A possible returing Jimmy Raye will provide continuity for the offense.
Cruel and unusual punishment!! Have pity bro, the season aint even over yet!!!

Buwaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

to me IMO, qb play will be the difference btween making the playoffs & having another year like this one. look at this year, with all the problems the team has they still had opportunities to win alot of games. but without a clutch qb with accuracy the team come up short. wheather on the road or at home, coach sign's coaching mistakes even though he's a ROOKIE h.c., the oline fcuking or what ever. the team still had a chance in every game except the atl game. I hope they figure out something about the qb situation the most or we will have another disappointing year like this one.
Way too early for this level of pessimism. A little continuity, some additional team speedn plus some roster changes might actually bring this team back to the playoffs.
I could bash this posers reasons one at a time, but I'll just pick one, for lack of time and an actual life . So, let's take #6. McClueless. I'll just pick two drafts, since everyone seems to think his drafts have sucked. How about the '07 draft? Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Tarell Brown. Or '06. Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Delanie Walker, Marcus Hudson, and Michael Robinson. Now, he's had some bad picks too, but just those two drafts alone tell us he's not "Clueless". Only a total moron would just point to the bad picks a GM has made, and call him clueless. We could do the same thing with Bill Walsh if we wanted. I just wonder, really, who's the clueless idiot in that post? I could pick apart every one of those reasons just like this, but like I said, I have a life. I think I'll get back to it. Oh, and if you truly believe, before this season's even over, that we have no chance at making the playoffs next year, do us all a favor. Don't watch.
So there is no way our young talent improves their play execution next year so we win ore close games?
Reason 4 was because mark roman let the guy get behind him....
Share 49ersWebzone