LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 306 users in the forums

Making Changes: A Quarterback Change Will Not Help us.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
The opening post completely ignores the current progression of the NFL toward high-powered passing offenses. The days of Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon winning ANYTHING in this league are over.

The only quarterback in playoff contention with a sub 90 QB rating on the year is Carson Palmer, and he's a guy who has had multiple years of throwing for more than 4000 yards, so his down year statistically is mostly an anomaly.

The only team with an elite quarterback who is NOT currently in playoff contention is the Texans with Matt Schaub, and they're basically a few choked games away from being a playoff team.

You're only as good as your quarterback in this league, and as long as Alex Smith is here, we're a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs.

Even with the 2000 Ravens defense, Alex Smith would not succeed.
[ Edited by crzy on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM ]
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
The opening post completely ignores the current progression of the NFL toward high-powered passing offenses. The days of Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon winning ANYTHING in this league are over.

The only quarterback in playoff contention with a sub 90 QB rating on the year is Carson Palmer, and he's a guy who has had multiple years of throwing for more than 4000 yards, so his down year statistically is mostly an anomaly.

The only team with an elite quarterback who is NOT currently in playoff contention is the Texans with Matt Schaub, and they're basically a few chocked games away from being a playoff team.

You're only as good as your quarterback in this league, and as long as Alex Smith is here, we're a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs.

Even with the 2000 Ravens defense, Alex Smith would not succeed.

you can't be an elite passing team without an O-Line, period....

Ask Tom Brady about having O-line problems, as he got beat to death in that Superbowl loss to the Giants
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We don't have a good QB, yet a change won't help us? Ok that makes absolutely no sense. Granted hindsight drafting Alex over A-Rod makes no sense, hah.

Just read a little more closely. We're talking about changing starting QB's for 2010. That will not help us get into the playoffs in 2010.

Oh of course not, but I'm sick of seeing this moron under center every week, we mind as well throw Davis in there and see a little of what he has. The only way Smith should come back next year is as a back up. So if he doesn't why not see if Davis could end up being worth something, maybe be Colt McCoy's or whoevers back up for the next how many years.

Davis has little to nothing at this point. He doesn't even run plays in practice. He also self-professed that he has bad mechanics. A player's opportunity to show what they have is in preseason and nothing else.

If your "sick" of watching Alex play, don't watch this year and next year.

-9fA

If there is a next year for Alex we have a serious problem and we'll be stuck in the 7-9/8-8 mode. Alex should at best be a back up, so since Hill is already over the Hill, and we have nothing to play for at this point, let's throw Davis in there, we should run Frank 20+ times anyway, so unless Nate goes Jake Delhomme on us, we'll sweep the Lambs again.
Changing the QB going into 2010 will absolutely not fix this team, nor will it whatsoever help this team reach the playoffs next year. We will continue to suck until we address much higher priorities that are contributing to this team's failure.

If we can pass for 300+ yards and 2 TDs or 250+ yards and 3 TDs and still lose, QB is not the problem.

Examples:
Carson Palmer vs. SD -- 27/40 for 314, 2 TDs, 1 INT -- 27-24 Loss to SD
Ben Roethlisberger vs. OAK -- 18/24 for 278, 2 TDs, 1 INT -- 27-24 Loss to OAK

People are whining and crying over a season that has been lost due to, really, simply a lack of a kick/punt returner than can protect the ball. Three losses can just about entirely be attributed to that. Smith's play has been plenty good enough to get us into the playoffs, but unfortunately other areas of the team have let us down.

I am not concerned about QB whatsoever, because we have a contingency plan already in place.

1. Smith plays out this year and next. With success, he is extended, we've got a QB.
2. If unsuccessful, Smith walks via Free Agency, Nate Davis replaces him and we draft insurance for Nate.

What am I more worried about? Getting some dang protection for ANY QB WE HAVE so they don't have to spend all day on their back. Smith is lucky he's been able to avoid as many sacks as he has lately. A less mobile QB would be getting plastered out there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen defensive linemen literally hanging on Smith's back as he's trying to drop back and pass.

This board is hilarious. They say they want to win now, yet in absolute tunnel-vision, they think replacing the QB will somehow immediately get us into the playoffs. Some individuals are calling for us to trade our first rounders for a quarterback -- awesome -- then we can use our 6 remaining picks (or less, depending on the trade) to get mediocre-to-garbage level players, almost certainly not enough to fill our needs, as we continue towards another season of suckage.

The overall intelligence level and inability to think things through by some here is utterly disturbing to say the least.

If guys like Dilfer, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Jim McMahon can win Super Bowls, and if guys like Rex Grossman, Kerry Collins, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme, and Chris Chandler can get their teams to the Super Bowl... I have zero doubts that Smith, if he can grow in his first off-season marked by continuity in his entire history of the league, could very well possibly do the same.

This board is incredibly frustrating. As fans, all we can hope for is for our team to be successful. I'd love it if Alex can wrap up this year with 20+ TDs (doing so in only 9 starts), giving us a 20+ TD passer for the first time since Jeff Garcia in 2002 (Rattay never had more than 10 in a season). If he can't do anything next year, especially with some continuity, he won't be back and those who hate him can gladly see him go. Then the "draft a QB" and "start Nate Davis" crowd can both be appeased... Win-win scenario for all 49er fans.

Until then, we can only let things play out. In the words of Singletary, "Just watch."

Agree Smith is not the problem , the OL just flat out sucks . But no way will we see Nate under center if Alex fails . I think the 49ers would just sign a proven QB and not go through the growing pains again .
We don't have a good QB, yet a change won't help us? Ok that makes absolutely no sense. Granted hindsight drafting Alex over A-Rod makes no sense, hah.

Just read a little more closely. We're talking about changing starting QB's for 2010. That will not help us get into the playoffs in 2010.

Oh of course not, but I'm sick of seeing this moron under center every week, we mind as well throw Davis in there and see a little of what he has. The only way Smith should come back next year is as a back up. So if he doesn't why not see if Davis could end up being worth something, maybe be Colt McCoy's or whoevers back up for the next how many years.

Davis has little to nothing at this point. He doesn't even run plays in practice. He also self-professed that he has bad mechanics. A player's opportunity to show what they have is in preseason and nothing else.

-9fA

If there is a next year for Alex we have a serious problem and we'll be stuck in the 7-9/8-8 mode. Alex should at best be a back up, so since Hill is already over the Hill, and we have nothing to play for at this point, let's throw Davis in there, we should run Frank 20+ times anyway, so unless Nate goes Jake Delhomme on us, we'll sweep the Lambs again.

waiting4number6 another Embarrassment post from you , think what you just posted . Your done talking like Nate is a starting QB in the NFL . Tell you mom to please take your computer away and make you go to bed .
[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM ]
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

-9fA

waiting4number6 another Embarrassment post from you , think what you just posted . Your done talking like Nate is a starting QB in the NFL . Tell you mom to please take your computer away and make you go to bed .

Can you read? Did I mention him as a starting QB for us or anybody in the National Football League. I said we mind as well put him in for Week 17, because Alex is a joke and is obviously not the future, unless we wanna continue to do something stupid. Your calling me embarrassing and your defending Alex Smith, think about that for a minute. Thank GOD your not a Panther fan, I bet you'd be defending Delhomme's beind.

-9fA

Can you read? Did I mention him as a starting QB for us or anybody in the National Football League. I said we mind as well put him in for Week 17, because Alex is a joke and is obviously not the future, unless we wanna continue to do something stupid. Your calling me embarrassing and your defending Alex Smith, think about that for a minute. Thank GOD your not a Panther fan, I bet you'd be defending Delhomme's beind.

Your a whiner period .
I'm fine with Alex as starter for QB next season. Nate Davis is not starter material at this point and probably never will be. But he looks good against 4th stringers in Preseason. Shaun Hill has proven arm strength limitations. A rookie will have a huge and steep learning curve.

Face it. Like him or not. Alex WILL BE OUR STARTER in 2010.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm fine with Alex as starter for QB next season. Nate Davis is not starter material at this point and probably never will be. But he looks good against 4th stringers in Preseason. Shaun Hill has proven arm strength limitations. A rookie will have a huge and steep learning curve.

While it is probably our best option, we are still entitled to not like it one bit. His mediocrity will eventually limit this team if all other areas improve. While I would never suggest that he is the sole source of the problem, his in abiliity to make plays when it really matters will probably cost us some games sometime in 2010. Here is to hoping that our defense improves and our special teams becomes decent in 2010!
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

While it is probably our best option, we are still entitled to not like it one bit. His mediocrity will eventually limit this team if all other areas improve. While I would never suggest that he is the sole source of the problem, his in abiliity to make plays when it really matters will probably cost us some games sometime in 2010. Here is to hoping that our defense improves and our special teams becomes decent in 2010!

1) Have you not seen improvement in his game this year?

2) If he has the same offensive coordinator for 2 years in a row and the same system for 2 years in a row for the first time in his career why would it not be reasonable to assume he can continue to improve more?

-9fA

Your a whiner period .

Stating a fact makes me a whiner, gosh that's something I didn't know. When I said Ahmed Plummer and Mike Rumph sucked, I was a whiner. Or me saying Terrel Kirby as our starting RB was pathetic, dang must of been a whiner. Oh wait a minute I know the difference between complaining and whining, complaining is getting upset about something and calling out the situation, whining is acting like a child and being somewhat non-sensical. I'm calling a spade a spade. Just like last year for example Mark Roman should not be starting for us at FS, that was a true statement as well, it was complaining. Thankfully DG stepped up for us this year and got some TO's something Roman seemed almost allergic to. Shaun Hill looked to be a good enough of a success stepping in as well, except he flamed out, and Alex was our only other option. Difference was it just so happened we spent a #1 overall and million of dollars on the dude, so we gave em one last shot and yet again he failed. Speaking of Roman this off-season should be a clearing house of Nolan-ites, ie Roman, Alex (granted Alex is a McCloughan-ite more so, but still), and Battle. Unless we want to keep Roman and Alex as backups. We litterally have no use for Battle anymore.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Alex has next to no pocket presence, as soon has he feels heat he rolls to his right and usually throws the ball out of bounds. The pass blocking of the line is not as horrible as the likes of Smith and Hill make it seem, their run blocking is atrocious.
Alex is way too slow going through his reads, he threw way too many check downs today against the Lions. He is also inaccurate even his completed passes end up in places where receivers cannot catch the ball in stride. I saw 2 screen passes today that were caught, thrown behind the receivers. He makes bad throws and mental errors that a High School Qb should not make. I was happy he got his second chance as he is much better than Shaun Hill, but I have seen enough, time for the 49ers to try someone else.
Originally posted by BobS:
Great idea, let's stick with a QB who averages 6.0 yards an attempt, which puts him in the bottom 5. Also we need to stick with a GM that no one else would want, and a HC that is nothing more than a motivational speaker who gets out coached badly every Sunday. Better keep the OC who has nothing but a mediocre resume at best, because sticking with Raye will give us continuity in our strive to be considered average. The limit for this current mess is 8-8 at best.

Agree on the GM and QB Smith. They need to go since they are one of the reasons Nolan sucked. Singletary is fine, he has these players playing hard and competing which is something Nolan never did. Singeltary can't fix a horrible O-line, he needs the Gm to get new players.
Great idea, let's stick with . . . a GM that no one else would want, and . . . . better keep the OC who has nothing but a mediocre resume at best, because sticking with Raye will give us continuity in our strive to be considered average. The limit for this current mess is 8-8 at best.

Present a proposition that solves our problems for next year. Lay out a plan, then.

Plan (if available)
1. Get an excellent OC (Raye is bad, why wait until 2011 to get a good offense?)
2. Get an excellent GM (Keep McC as head of scouting, but add great football brain)
= problem solved
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Great idea, let's stick with a QB who averages 6.0 yards an attempt, which puts him in the bottom 5. Also we need to stick with a GM that no one else would want, and a HC that is nothing more than a motivational speaker who gets out coached badly every Sunday. Better keep the OC who has nothing but a mediocre resume at best, because sticking with Raye will give us continuity in our strive to be considered average. The limit for this current mess is 8-8 at best.

Agree on the GM and QB Smith. They need to go since they are one of the reasons Nolan sucked. Singletary is fine, he has these players playing hard and competing which is something Nolan never did. Singeltary can't fix a horrible O-line, he needs the Gm to get new players.

Nolan's main reason for "sucking" stared at him each morning in the mirror.
Share 49ersWebzone