LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 209 users in the forums

Making Changes: A Quarterback Change Will Not Help us.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Changing the QB going into 2010 will absolutely not fix this team, nor will it whatsoever help this team reach the playoffs next year. We will continue to suck until we address much higher priorities that are contributing to this team's failure.

If we can pass for 300+ yards and 2 TDs or 250+ yards and 3 TDs and still lose, QB is not the problem.

Examples:
Carson Palmer vs. SD -- 27/40 for 314, 2 TDs, 1 INT -- 27-24 Loss to SD
Ben Roethlisberger vs. OAK -- 18/24 for 278, 2 TDs, 1 INT -- 27-24 Loss to OAK

People are whining and crying over a season that has been lost due to, really, simply a lack of a kick/punt returner than can protect the ball. Three losses can just about entirely be attributed to that. Smith's play has been plenty good enough to get us into the playoffs, but unfortunately other areas of the team have let us down.

I am not concerned about QB whatsoever, because we have a contingency plan already in place.

1. Smith plays out this year and next. With success, he is extended, we've got a QB.
2. If unsuccessful, Smith walks via Free Agency, Nate Davis replaces him and we draft insurance for Nate.

What am I more worried about? Getting some dang protection for ANY QB WE HAVE so they don't have to spend all day on their back. Smith is lucky he's been able to avoid as many sacks as he has lately. A less mobile QB would be getting plastered out there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen defensive linemen literally hanging on Smith's back as he's trying to drop back and pass.

This board is hilarious. They say they want to win now, yet in absolute tunnel-vision, they think replacing the QB will somehow immediately get us into the playoffs. Some individuals are calling for us to trade our first rounders for a quarterback -- awesome -- then we can use our 6 remaining picks (or less, depending on the trade) to get mediocre-to-garbage level players, almost certainly not enough to fill our needs, as we continue towards another season of suckage.

The overall intelligence level and inability to think things through by some here is utterly disturbing to say the least.

If guys like Dilfer, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Jim McMahon can win Super Bowls, and if guys like Rex Grossman, Kerry Collins, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme, and Chris Chandler can get their teams to the Super Bowl... I have zero doubts that Smith, if he can grow in his first off-season marked by continuity in his entire history of the league, could very well possibly do the same.

This board is incredibly frustrating. As fans, all we can hope for is for our team to be successful. I'd love it if Alex can wrap up this year with 20+ TDs (doing so in only 9 starts), giving us a 20+ TD passer for the first time since Jeff Garcia in 2002 (Rattay never had more than 10 in a season). If he can't do anything next year, especially with some continuity, he won't be back and those who hate him can gladly see him go. Then the "draft a QB" and "start Nate Davis" crowd can both be appeased... Win-win scenario for all 49er fans.

Until then, we can only let things play out. In the words of Singletary, "Just watch."
Good, OTC. Everything starts with the lines
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Great idea, let's stick with a QB who averages 6.0 yards an attempt, which puts him in the bottom 5. Also we need to stick with a GM that no one else would want, and a HC that is nothing more than a motivational speaker who gets out coached badly every Sunday. Better keep the OC who has nothing but a mediocre resume at best, because sticking with Raye will give us continuity in our strive to be considered average. The limit for this current mess is 8-8 at best.
Originally posted by BobS:
Great idea, let's stick with a QB who averages 6.0 yards an attempt, which puts him in the bottom 5. Also we need to stick with a GM that no one else would want, and a HC that is nothing more than a motivational speaker who gets out coached badly every Sunday. Better keep the OC who has nothing but a mediocre resume at best, because sticking with Raye will give us continuity in our strive to be considered average. The limit for this current mess is 8-8 at best.

Present a proposition that solves our problems for next year. Lay out a plan, then.
17 straight 3rd downs without a conversion...At what point, does this become the QB's fault as well? Especially, when he is supposed to be so intelligent, and can also make plays with his legs.

This team is a QB/RT/FS away from being a playoff team, and possibly even a contender.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
17 straight 3rd downs without a conversion...At what point, does this become the QB's fault as well? Especially, when he is supposed to be so intelligent, and can also make plays with his legs.

This team is a QB/RT/FS away from being a playoff team, and possibly even a contender.

I'd analyze each and every 3rd down to answer that. Were they run or pass plays? Was Smith being sacked? Did players drop passes?

Look at those things to evaluate how much Alex has had to do with that.

QB can't do much with no pass protection, and TERRIBLE PLAY CALLS.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'd analyze each and every 3rd down to answer that. Were they run or pass plays? Was Smith being sacked? Did players drop passes?

Alex makes bad decisions all of the time. More often than not he does not give his WRs a chance to run with the ball. A different QB will make a difference. Some QB's are not bothered by lineman running at them.
Nice post OTC. 2 or 3 new quality starters on the OL is the only thing this offense needs.
Originally posted by fister30:

Alex makes bad decisions all of the time. More often than not he does not give his WRs a chance to run with the ball. A different QB will make a difference. Some QB's are not bothered by lineman running at them.

Who will make a difference?

And bad decisions all of the time? Really? Substantiate the argument.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM ]

The overall intelligence level and inability to think things through by some here is utterly disturbing to say the least.

This board is incredibly frustrating.

thats why i rarely post, i just read. trying to talk to some of the posters on here is like talking to a wall...you're pissed cuz the wall is stupid, but then u realize you're the idiot talking to a wall...

This board is incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad he's improved his hard count, and 15 yard seam route to VD.

His pocket presence is still not where it should be, his deep ball is worse than ever, he still lacks "touch" by throwing a bullet at his RB standing 3 yards away, and wide open.

Face it, VD has bailed him out on many TD throws, few TE's/WR's, can run that seam route the way he does, make the catch over the shoulder, while getting hit, and still hold on. The Crabtree TD, both of em were tough catches, and so was Gore's TD.

He doesn't make it easy for his receivers at all, complain about the drops, but then you also have to complain about the placement of some of those passes.

If we want to compare, let's do it with Rogers, same s**tty OL, if not worse, and still makes plays. The Packers have 41 dropped passes as a team, while the Niners only have 30 (13 w/Hill)...No to mention the huge difference when both QB's are under pressure, Alex sits at 48 percent, while Rodgers 58 percent passing completion - 7 TD's 1 INT, while still getting sacked 48 times, compared to Alex's 18.

We took the wrong QB, it's blatantly obvious how much better Rodgers is, and it's not even by a little, there is not debate at all, that's sad.

Rodgers
Smith

I hope that was "intelligent" enough.
That was from the other thread Smith thread...because we need like 8 of them.

I believe that with a RT/LG/Safety/Pass rusher, this team can be a good playoff team (even if only 3 of those would happen), no doubt about it. With a solid QB, this team can be SB contender.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM ]
With you all the way OTC. For years there's been non-stop whining about QB play. I remember when people complained about Steve Young's play. Our Oline is Swiss Cheese. Week in and week out the line is at very best INCONSISTENT. If Smith had some protection we'd win a lot more games. He isn't the best QB but he has enough to take us into the playoffs. Our Oline can't take us to a winning season.

Look what a good line has done for Orton who flat out sucked in Chicago. Fix the line and we'll do fine.
Originally posted by fister30:

Who will make a difference?

And bad decisions all of the time? Really? Substantiate the argument.

There are examples in every game that he has played this year. Alex does not have to go to his check down every time he is pressured. If Alex is hearing footsteps because of the amount of times he has been hit, it might be time to get somebody else in there who is not going to overreact when a lineman runs at him.

All of the winning teams have a QB who can make throws under pressure. Alex is not it.

I can argue that a late throw is bad decision. There were at least two examples of late throws today alone that killed drives.
Well a new QB wouldn't do great under this OLine, but they might do better than Alex. I'm a supporter of his but he should be playing better than he is today and he's missing some throws he should make. He's not helping my case.
Share 49ersWebzone