LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 179 users in the forums

Making Changes: A Quarterback Change Will Not Help us.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er :
Wouldn't it be great if Berry fell to us like Crabs did last year?

If yesterday proved anything, we don't need to draft on defense.
Anyone watching the game yesterday could tell that the oline is a problem. We need to fix that part of our offense first.
Originally posted by crzy:
The opening post completely ignores the current progression of the NFL toward high-powered passing offenses. The days of Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon winning ANYTHING in this league are over.

The only quarterback in playoff contention with a sub 90 QB rating on the year is Carson Palmer, and he's a guy who has had multiple years of throwing for more than 4000 yards, so his down year statistically is mostly an anomaly.

The only team with an elite quarterback who is NOT currently in playoff contention is the Texans with Matt Schaub, and they're basically a few choked games away from being a playoff team.

You're only as good as your quarterback in this league, and as long as Alex Smith is here, we're a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs.

Even with the 2000 Ravens defense, Alex Smith would not succeed.

And yet, what you fail to recognize is that there's nobody greater than Smith available.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The opening post completely ignores the current progression of the NFL toward high-powered passing offenses. The days of Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon winning ANYTHING in this league are over.

The only quarterback in playoff contention with a sub 90 QB rating on the year is Carson Palmer, and he's a guy who has had multiple years of throwing for more than 4000 yards, so his down year statistically is mostly an anomaly.

The only team with an elite quarterback who is NOT currently in playoff contention is the Texans with Matt Schaub, and they're basically a few choked games away from being a playoff team.

You're only as good as your quarterback in this league, and as long as Alex Smith is here, we're a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs.

And yet, what you fail to recognize is that there's nobody greater than Smith available.

-9fA

That and Smith continues to improve. Each year he has improved. Someone compared him to Tim Coach during their first 5 years but failed to point out that Smith hadn't played for 2 and 1/2 years and that Smith's numbers have improved every year he has played.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A

-9fA

Well, the haters are sure that we could send Mark Roman to the Bolts and get Philip Rivers and a first round pick in return. See, that was easy! It's cool to be a virtual GM. Everything is possible!
Ahh, OTC, so wise.

Sticking with Alex is the best bet short term and long. He definitely gives us the best chance next year. If he plays well, he's the long term answer. If he doesn't, we turn to Nate Davis who has had additional time to learn in the same system and is ready to start firing.

We all wish we could easily get a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees as our QB next year. We all ackowledge that Alex is a mediocre at best QB right now. But there are no better options. If you want to draft a QB and sacrifice next season in the hopes of being better in two or three years, that's a valid opinion to have. It's not my preference, but if that's what you want, then argue your case.

If your only argument is that Alex sucks, you are contributing nothing.

Also, everyone that thinks it's so easy to get a top 10 caliber starting QB, you should take a look at teams like Miami, Detriot, KC, Cleveland, the Jets, etc. They haven't had good quarterbacks for a long time. It's not easy to just pull a pro bowl quarterback out of your ass.

And if you think we'd be better off with Jason Campbell, Matt Hasselbeck, David Garrard, etc...Ask fans of those teams how they feel about their QBs. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

If you hate Alex and are convinced that he'll always be terrible, then think of our approach as keeping the seat warm for our Savior, Nate Davis. Like the Bengals did with Carson Palmer.

And I know a lot of you are just pissed that we missed the playoffs again, and you need to let some anger out. And that's cool too.
to OTC and ^ this post, too.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Hopper:
The Niners were on an 0-17 drought on third downs, that's a complete joke. An upgrade at QB would certainly help a team right now that's near dead last in third down efficiency.

Who? Seriously. Everyone says we need an upgrade, but who is going to be better on this current team?

Who do we have time to develop? No one. Who can we afford to trade for? No one. Our best, and most realistic option at this point is to keep Smith and let him experience some continuity on offense, playing out next season.

Smith won't be back if he doesn't play well enough, and Davis should be ready by year three, so we can let our promising young Mr. Nate take over, which I'd be absolutely fine with.

Actually, everyone doesn't say that. I agree with you on the O-line needing upograde more than anything. I believe that until we give Smith an offseason with his receivers, and training camp with a real offensive line, we won't see improvement. You can draft talent all over the place at WR and RB, but until our
O-line can hold the pass rush or open holes consistently for a RB we won't have 3rd down improvements.

Do I think Smith is a top tier QB, no. But I do think he is the best option we have now (including drafting a supposed top tier QB) and I also STRONGLY believe no QB would be much better given our O-line.
The argument styles on forums can be frustrating. Ontheclock pointed out that the niners don't have a better QB option available to them right now. Nobody is really going to argue against this because Nate will need time and reps working with the first team offense and real game experience before anybody can evaluate how well he will play in the NFL. So yes, I agree with what OTC said.

Beyond that point alone I hope the niners fast track nate and draft another QB. It maybe possible that the issues are with the o line and the QB. Imagine that. But maybe I am blissfully ignorant in thinking that Alex may not ever perform to a higher level. Maybe my lack of inside secret football knowledge prevents me from seeing how good a qb Alex really is. Maybe when the niners finally get a top tier tackle and maybe a guard or two the niners will become a top ten offense who can sustain drives.

But then again maybe Alex is also a part of the problem.

Side note: Its not ok to say Alex sucks. Its ok to say the line sucks and some of them should be replaced. I should start to defend the o line by saying there are no better options on the current squad right now.
[ Edited by fister30 on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Memphis9er :
Wouldn't it be great if Berry fell to us like Crabs did last year?

If yesterday proved anything, we don't need to draft on defense.

We need more speed at safety than we will ever have with Lewis back there. Ideally we could draft a good player for FS, then slide Goldson over to SS and we'd be set for years. I agree though, we have to get better along the offensive line and on the return game.

• jcs
  • Veteran

-9fA

I'd say Campbell out of washington if they let him taste F/A is better than alex smith
Originally posted by jcs:

-9fA

I'd say Campbell out of washington if they let him taste F/A is better than alex smith

I'd say you're wrong. They're practically the same player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

-9fA

except one is black and the other is white. but other than that at this point they are both full of potential. Whether or not they ever reach it is up to them.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

-9fA

except one is black and the other is white. but other than that at this point they are both full of potential. Whether or not they ever reach it is up to them.

I think you have seen too much ratatouille because in the NFL, anyone can't cook.
great post OTC I agree
Share 49ersWebzone