There are 271 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This is the worst fear when we decided to be cheap after Coleman went down. This is big as far as I am concerned. Skule is not ready to play.

Cheap with what? Who were we suppose to bring in?

Dude how many times have we had this debate. You say there was nothing we could have done, then multiple players go on to have better seasons than what we had.

To answer the question. Jordan Mills would have been nice.

How many teams have 4 quality tackles on their roster? Many teams don't even have 2, but this team is supposed to think ahead just in case we lose both our swing tackle and then our starting LT before week 3? C'mon

This. People here want a starter quality backup which nobody in the NFL has.

We're gonna have to count on KS and staff to coach the backup and scheme around this weakness. We have the best offensive coach in the NFL so at least I know everything that can be done will be done.

We have known for a month we were down to Staley and MM as our tackles. We looked at FA's and decided that we wanted to keep Skule.

This is the same thing as when we decided we were fine not adding DE help last year when we literally had no outside pass rushers. NONE. But you had people saying there was no one we could have got and we suffered all year because we didn't make a move.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
I loved reading the first two pages of this thread. I think Staley has exceeded expectations from what some people really thought early in his career.

Truth!

I remember when we picked him there were lots of people in the Zone complaining it was a wasted pick and we could have picked some guy who frankly was less than average.

Joe started at RT for a season and then moved to LT.

Superb draft pick!
What about that Trent Williams?
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rockeyfromask:

31 years old, history of injuries, trade would require draft capital that would better be used drafting the long-term replacement for Staley next year.

Some people questioned why Kyle kept four TEs. One of the reasons was to provide cover for being thin at OT.
This is the worst fear when we decided to be cheap after Coleman went down. This is big as far as I am concerned. Skule is not ready to play.

Dude how many times have we had this debate. You say there was nothing we could have done, then multiple players go on to have better seasons than what we had.

How many teams have 4 quality tackles on their roster? Many teams don't even have 2, but this team is supposed to think ahead just in case we lose both our swing tackle and then our starting LT before week 3? C'mon

We're gonna have to count on KS and staff to coach the backup and scheme around this weakness. We have the best offensive coach in the NFL so at least I know everything that can be done will be done.

We have known for a month we were down to Staley and MM as our tackles. We looked at FA's and decided that we wanted to keep Skule.

This is the same thing as when we decided we were fine not adding DE help last year when we literally had no outside pass rushers. NONE. But you had people saying there was no one we could have got and we suffered all year because we didn't make a move.

This isn't even close to the same thing as the 2018 edge and the lack of talent at the position on the team.

We came into camp with 2 pro bowl caliber tackles and a swing tackle who showed that he belongs in this league. When Coleman went down, it's hard to justify using draft assets to upgrade a position that still features one of the very best tackle duo's in the league, especially when the lack of talent in the league already has multiple teams scrambling at the time and raising the price tag of trash players.
The Joe Show has been cancelled...
This sucks. Get well soon Joe.
I kno it was a freak accident. I hope our newly hired hockey injury prevention guy minimizes our guys getting banged up this year.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Cut Mostert now! How dare he put his knee on Joseph!

What sh*t luck...

Your logic is basic. You don't waste, yes waste resources on meh players in positions of need, when much better players are available in the following year.

Anyone available at tackle at that point of the season is available for a reason. The difference in talent of said available players are also slim at best, causing no need or urgency to waste a roster spot with one.

Seems to me you're just looking for a reason to say "I told you so." No matter how insignificant the reason.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rockeyfromask:

Don't need Trent Williams, Matt Kalil would be enough till Staley is back.

Mills is garbage doe. What do you think they are missing out on with a guy who had consistently been one of the worst pass protectors in football? He's got a lot of experience playing badly on poor OLs. Not seeing the upside with him at all.
Get well Joe. We'll be 7-2 by the time you get back
  • Chief
  • Veteran
f**king hell.... dammit

What multiple players are you talking about at tackle? You said they're cheap, who should they have signed that amounted to jack s**t as a swing tackle?

Jordan mills? Dude is poop and you know it. Like I keep saying just about every team in the league has a major drop in talent when they lose a starter on the line. There aren't enough good lineman in this league. Period.

FWIW I have no idea what you're talking about with having this debate all the time...anyone you're signing as a backup lineman isn't gonna be very good.
Share 49ersWebzone