There are 171 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Jordan Mills signed with Arizona. But he is trash. I thought they would move McGlichey over but Kyle said he wants to change one position not two. This sucks.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Dude how many times have we had this debate. You say there was nothing we could have done, then multiple players go on to have better seasons than what we had.

To answer the question. Jordan Mills would have been nice.

What multiple players are you talking about at tackle? You said they're cheap, who should they have signed that amounted to jack s**t as a swing tackle?

Jordan mills? Dude is poop and you know it. Like I keep saying just about every team in the league has a major drop in talent when they lose a starter on the line. There aren't enough good lineman in this league. Period.

FWIW I have no idea what you're talking about with having this debate all the time...anyone you're signing as a backup lineman isn't gonna be very good.

My point was the team has had chances to upgrade the roster at points when a FA would have been an upgrade and choose not to do so.

I'm not sure how that's controversial cause that's just a fact, and a fact about pretty much all teams. Just like the draft, you miss out on upgrades that you could of had.

Just like how there isn't always an upgrade in FA (to your point), not everyone that's available late is a downgrade. It doesn't have to be either or.

It's hard evaluating players and when you have your own that you've been working with all offseason it's easier to side with them.

I'm saying we've had this discussion with other players, specifically on the defensive side of the ball and they turned out to play really well when we were stuck with Marsh and others who weren't getting the job done.

Maybe it's a little overreaction on my part to say we were chep and assume there was an upgrade over Skule, but I still believe any player with game experience would have been nice to bring in. Skule even for a rookie, looked like he was a long ways away.
Like Staley said , it sucks but they have to deal with it. Niners aren't the only team suffering injuries. Rothlesburger got hurt today and may be questionable for next week. Brees hurt his thumb and is missing almost the entire game. Tyreek Hill is out for at least 4 more weeks for the Chiefs. Jets lost their QB to mono for 4-6 weeks. Jaguars lost their QB for the season. The list is long and we aren't the only ones.

BUT IT STILL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Some dudes to check out are

Schraeder-knows the offense
Sam Young-thought he did well with us in the preseason
Kalil-probably the most talent guy in FA

Kinda sucks that someone will have to be waived again to pick up another tackle. I wonder who's on the chopping block after just waiving K.Smith because of another injury where the injury isn't a long-term thing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I like the fact that Staley is going to begin to develop his coaching chops by Schooling Skule.

"I'm going to do everything I can," Staley said. "One of the things I have here, I definitely have years. I have a lot of knowledge. I always thought of my post-career, when I'm done playing football, it would be good to be a coach. So here's a time to get a little taste of that."
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/joe-staley-bummed-injury-will-coach-49ers-rookie-justin-skule
Originally posted by Giedi:
I like the fact that Staley is going to begin to develop his coaching chops by Schooling Skule.

"I'm going to do everything I can," Staley said. "One of the things I have here, I definitely have years. I have a lot of knowledge. I always thought of my post-career, when I'm done playing football, it would be good to be a coach. So here's a time to get a little taste of that."
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/joe-staley-bummed-injury-will-coach-49ers-rookie-justin-skule

Might be referring to coaching his drunk karaoke
Originally posted by Waterbear:
My point was the team has had chances to upgrade the roster at points when a FA would have been an upgrade and choose not to do so.

I'm not sure how that's controversial cause that's just a fact, and a fact about pretty much all teams. Just like the draft, you miss out on upgrades that you could of had.

Just like how there isn't always an upgrade in FA (to your point), not everyone that's available late is a downgrade. It doesn't have to be either or.

It's hard evaluating players and when you have your own that you've been working with all offseason it's easier to side with them.

I'm saying we've had this discussion with other players, specifically on the defensive side of the ball and they turned out to play really well when we were stuck with Marsh and others who weren't getting the job done.

Maybe it's a little overreaction on my part to say we were chep and assume there was an upgrade over Skule, but I still believe any player with game experience would have been nice to bring in. Skule even for a rookie, looked like he was a long ways away.

There wasn't very much out there that didn't have questions. The best upgrade that was realistic was Donald Penn. Other then that wasn't much.

I'd imagine they will at least call Matt Kalil.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Dan Skipper is a decent LT.

[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Sep 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM ]

Pushing up that timeline.

LMFAO. They ain't kidding.

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM ]
  • Kolohe
Originally posted by NCommand:
LMFAO. They ain't kidding.

That is AWESOOOME!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe: