There are 290 users in the forums

Is it truly garbage time when Alex thrived???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You guys that say the O line isn't the main problem are just plain ignorant, don't you know how football works, or are you just that blind?

The O-Line blocking well is common sense. However, the O-Line blocked well for the most part in the TEN game...what happened there? Oh yeah, it's because we weren't in shotgun. What happened when we were within 5 points early in the 4th quarter...oh wait, it was Vernon AND Walker who should have been 5 yards from where they were.

The O line hasn't blocked worth a crap since the ATL game, dunno what you are basing your assertion on. OM9er had a post breaking it down that shows how bad they played during the TN game.
I wonder how much we can put up if Alex has a full game using the spread instead of just one f**king half? Dude was throwing some brilliant passes to VD and Crabs. The only one I can say he missed was the underthrown ball to Crabs along the right sideline, could have gone all the way if it wasn't a little soft. He's had 200+ yards in one half twice this season when we run the spread (those are the only two times we did the spread btw)....
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Twister68:
Originally posted by Twister68:
A mix. As you can see, in the first half, Alex had -7 yards.

Oh, we have a pro football analyst here. What a pleasure to have such intelligent and sharp dude as a webzoner. Way to go man! I honestly think that you will not be here for long. There are plenty of NFL teams who are ready to pay big bucks a talent like you. Thanks for shring you thoughts.

And, I apologize for not writing an essay on why Smith sucks.

Yes, I'm far from perfect in english. But I can learn it more, we have very good education system here in Finland. And I'm so honored to have conversation with such a bright football mind like you.

You might want to try that education system out than.

the irony.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Hey Posters,

Just wanted to get your opinion about Alex putting up big numbers in the 2nd half of the Houston game and in the 2nd half today at Green Bay.

It seems that Alex's big numbers come when we are down big and maybe its just that the opponent starts relaxing and playing prevent and we start the spread offense???

If that is the case, can we credit Alex with "playing at a high level"???

Or do you think its a matter of Raye opening the offense and Alex thriving in a legit highly competitive game?

cause he folds like a deck of cards when he is under pressure. There is no pressure when you are already losing lol
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by nflguy49:
During the game Billick said Mike McCarthy and Greg Manusky coached together with the Niners before McCarthy was hired as Packers coach. So I take his comments on the Packers defense with a grain of salt.

LOL great reason to take this comments with a grain of salt.

-9fA
HOU and GB = success at Garbage Time and stalled once we got close and the opposition begins to clamp it up.

TEN = terrible play under normal conditions with 40 attempts.

Hmmm, you tell me.

where did alex smith stall in the GB game? he scored on his last possesion wit almost 6 mins left.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Hey Posters,

Just wanted to get your opinion about Alex putting up big numbers in the 2nd half of the Houston game and in the 2nd half today at Green Bay.

It seems that Alex's big numbers come when we are down big and maybe its just that the opponent starts relaxing and playing prevent and we start the spread offense???

Or do you think its a matter of Raye opening the offense and Alex thriving in a legit highly competitive game?

cause he folds like a deck of cards when he is under pressure. There is no pressure when you are already losing lol

Wouldn't there be more...?
Originally posted by Method:
Hey Posters,

eh you can debate that both ways i guess, but he doesn't finish games is what im getting at.
Hey Posters,

It could go both ways but one would think there would be more pressure when you are behind if the current possesion can get you the win compared to being down and thinking, "what the hell, let's try this and see if it works" similar to Raye clamping up when we are ahead and "airing" it out when we are down by a lot.
The GB players may have relaxed but I don’t think the scheme was prevent. I saw several blitzes in the 2nd half…in fact, on the VD touchdown, GB dialed up a blitz (I think it was a corner but I’m not sure) and Smith threw the pass right before getting hit.

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex Smith has had 5 years to be learn how to win games. He is not a winner. Time to move on.

I agree. They should've put Smith out there on defense. He would've stopped Grant. Also, I don't know if you heard yet, but it was Smith that decided to waste a timeout and challenge that 2nd-down run in a futile attempt to push them back 6 more inches.

More reasons as to why Smith isn't a winner...

He keeps sacking himself repeatedly. Is it too much to ask to block 4 defensive linemen, then drop back to pass and find the open guy?

He keeps hiring new OCs every single year. I don't know why he keeps doing this.

He keeps missing tackles on screen passes. For some reason, we suck against the screen pass, and a big part of that is because he doesn't arm tackle.

He knows that he functions well in a spread-type offense, but for some reason, he keeps calling his own plays and doesn't put himself in that offense. It's strange. He only starts using the spread-type offense in the 2nd half of games.

Lastly, when there's nobody open, he can't just magically find the open guy before he gets sacked, even if, like I said, there's nobody open.

I'm getting tired of the Smith hate. Look, he isn't a great QB, but on this team, there's PLENTY of blame to go around. You can start at the top. Singletary and Raye are looking like two GIECO cavemen right about now. The OL is looking like a bunch of Girl Scouts. Scratch that...Girl Scouts have more passion and pride than this unit.

This team is a total mess right now, including the QB position, but that position gets FAR too much blame. There's a reason why Hill looked even worse than Smith out there, and there's a reason why Davis will look equally bad.

I know this is a thread on A. Smith, but I want to ask a question about the challenge. Why are people bashing Singletary for challenging the spot? Is it my imagination, or did we not lose anything since the team would have called a timeout anyway? If anything, challenging would have been the right thing to do so he could possibly prevent them from running the QB sneak... which is exactly what they did.

Am I missing something here?
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex Smith has had 5 years to be learn how to win games. He is not a winner. Time to move on.

I agree. They should've put Smith out there on defense. He would've stopped Grant. Also, I don't know if you heard yet, but it was Smith that decided to waste a timeout and challenge that 2nd-down run in a futile attempt to push them back 6 more inches.

More reasons as to why Smith isn't a winner...

He keeps sacking himself repeatedly. Is it too much to ask to block 4 defensive linemen, then drop back to pass and find the open guy?

He keeps hiring new OCs every single year. I don't know why he keeps doing this.

He keeps missing tackles on screen passes. For some reason, we suck against the screen pass, and a big part of that is because he doesn't arm tackle.

He knows that he functions well in a spread-type offense, but for some reason, he keeps calling his own plays and doesn't put himself in that offense. It's strange. He only starts using the spread-type offense in the 2nd half of games.

Lastly, when there's nobody open, he can't just magically find the open guy before he gets sacked, even if, like I said, there's nobody open.

I'm getting tired of the Smith hate. Look, he isn't a great QB, but on this team, there's PLENTY of blame to go around. You can start at the top. Singletary and Raye are looking like two GIECO cavemen right about now. The OL is looking like a bunch of Girl Scouts. Scratch that...Girl Scouts have more passion and pride than this unit.

This team is a total mess right now, including the QB position, but that position gets FAR too much blame. There's a reason why Hill looked even worse than Smith out there, and there's a reason why Davis will look equally bad.

I know this is a thread on A. Smith, but I want to ask a question about the challenge. Why are people bashing Singletary for challenging the spot? Is it my imagination, or did we not lose anything since the team would have called a timeout anyway? If anything, challenging would have been the right thing to do so he could possibly prevent them from running the QB sneak... which is exactly what they did.

Am I missing something here?

It was a good challenge and the ref screwed it up.
Hey Posters,

eh you can debate that both ways i guess, but he doesn't finish games is what im getting at.

They didn't get the ball back after the 3rd TD.

It's not garbage time when there is still 6 minutes left and a TD will bring the score to less than a one possession game and GB was not playing like it was garbage time.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Hey Posters,

It's not garbage time when there is still 6 minutes left and a TD will bring the score to less than a one possession game and GB was not playing like it was garbage time.

The 3rd TD doesn't matter. They were within 5 points AND had possession prior to the INT. Why do people keep dismissing this?

Yes, the D couldn't stop their offense but our offense turned the ball over at the drive that could have put us on top. The first play of that drive.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Hey Posters,

The 3rd TD doesn't matter. They were within 5 points AND had possession prior to the INT. Why do people keep dismissing this?

Yes, the D couldn't stop their offense but our offense turned the ball over at the drive that could have put us on top. The first play of that drive.

Hill did the same thing in the Vikings game and yet you blame that loss on the defense for not getting the ball back. You Smith haters with your double standards
Share 49ersWebzone