LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Is it truly garbage time when Alex thrived???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by jta854:
I post this in the QB 2010 thread but it seems to apply here aswell.

There are basically 3 different types of 49ers fans in regard to Alex Smith

1- Every bad play is Alex’s fault. Everything good play is because of someone else, and would have been a lot better if Alex hadn’t screwed it up

2- Alex has had enough time and hasn’t shown that he’s got what it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Let’s cut ties and move on.

3- Alex has had the worst set of circumstances a young QB could have for his first few years. He is 25 and still could be a good NFL QB.

2&3 are rational stances in the discussion of Alex Smith. IMO most of the board has one of these two opinions

1 is made up of crazy, crazy people that stir the pot and keep the rest of us on our toes with their mindless post.

I am more version 2.5. I do not think he will ever be a "great" QB, even with a new Oline. I do agree he was put into some really bad situations early on, but could be a decent QB. The problem is, am I willing to wait another year just to see if he can even be a "good" QB? I am not so sure...

well said rational stance...
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Bottom line is the offense stunk it up through at least half the game...as usual. 49ers & Raiders are at the bottom of the NFL with 3 & outs. The 49ers need a new quarterback.

Did you watch the first half? The playcalling was horrible, the Packers D was all over our plays. Everyone was smothered and half the time we didn't have time to throw the ball. Again the quarterback is not the problem.

With a great OL, great WR, good OC, 90% of current QB's in the NFL, would make the probowl.

I'm not blaming it all on Smith, I rarely put it all on players (unless it was JTO), but he did not look good in the 1st half.

Green Bay doesn't have a much better OL either, (don't let our "pass rush" fool you) and Rodgers still manages to make great plays. (even yesterday when the pocket collapsed on him)

Smith can be a successful QB in this league, he needs a better OL, and they needs to allow him to run his own offense, just like Peyton.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Twister68:
A mix. As you can see, in the first half, Alex had -7 yards.

Oh, we have a pro football analyst here. What a pleasure to have such intelligent and sharp dude as a webzoner. Way to go man! I honestly think that you will not be here for long. There are plenty of NFL teams who are ready to pay big bucks a talent like you. Thanks for shring you thoughts.

And, I apologize for not writing an essay on why Smith sucks.

Yes, I'm far from perfect in english. But I can learn it more, we have very good education system here in Finland. And I'm so honored to have conversation with such a bright football mind like you.

You might want to try that education system out than.

Oh I'm trying hard to learn. And I must thank you for using only childish one liners here, it's just so much easier to follow the thread.
Originally posted by jta854:
I post this in the QB 2010 thread but it seems to apply here aswell.

There are basically 3 different types of 49ers fans in regard to Alex Smith

1- Every bad play is Alex’s fault. Everything good play is because of someone else, and would have been a lot better if Alex hadn’t screwed it up

2- Alex has had enough time and hasn’t shown that he’s got what it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Let’s cut ties and move on.

3- Alex has had the worst set of circumstances a young QB could have for his first few years. He is 25 and still could be a good NFL QB.

2&3 are rational stances in the discussion of Alex Smith. IMO most of the board has one of these two opinions

1 is made up of crazy, crazy people that stir the pot and keep the rest of us on our toes with their mindless post.

Oh, we have a pro football analyst here. What a pleasure to have such intelligent and sharp dude as a webzoner. Way to go man! I honestly think that you will not be here for long. There are plenty of NFL teams who are ready to pay big bucks a talent like you. Thanks for shring you thoughts.

Yes, I'm far from perfect in english. But I can learn it more, we have very good education system here in Finland. And I'm so honored to have conversation with such a bright football mind like you.

Oh I'm trying hard to learn. And I must thank you for using only childish one liners here, it's just so much easier to follow the thread.

If that's a reason you are picking a fight with me, you have a long day ahead of you, because I'm not the only one.

Seriously, I apologize for not writing essays in all of my posts.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM ]
I blame the coaches. They do not play to the team or players strength. Alex looks good in the right O. He can throw the ball well and put up TD's..... Why the hell not play to his skill set and the other O-Players skill. They need to go with the spread and use the shotgun in the 1st half. NO, NO - I'd rather run, run, run against 9 man fronts and force the Defense to respect our run game cause they know we won't pass till we are down by 20....

Facts are, playing conservative = LOSE....

The O-Line is better in a spread, shotgun.

The receivers are better in a spread, shotgun.

Alex is better in the spread, shotgun.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS COACHING STAFF THAT THEY DON'T CARE and WAIT till the game is OVER to USE IT!

We haven't punched anybody in the mouth this season.
Bottom line is the offense stunk it up through at least half the game...as usual. 49ers & Raiders are at the bottom of the NFL with 3 & outs. The 49ers need a new quarterback.

Did you watch the first half? The playcalling was horrible, the Packers D was all over our plays. Everyone was smothered and half the time we didn't have time to throw the ball. Again the quarterback is not the problem.

"Again the quarterback is not the problem"

haha, you ask if watched the first half. I ask if you have followed the team for the last several years. Of course they have quarterback issues. Teams that have the revolving door on starting QBs like the 49ers, do so because they do not have a good one. Some of you can't see the forest through the trees.

I call BS. You aren't here to get into a meaningful dialog, but rather to skim through the thread to find posts to pop off on. Your sarcastic reply that started this exchange is proof.

"Again the quarterback is not the problem"

haha, you ask if watched the first half. I ask if you have followed the team for the last several years. Of course they have quarterback issues. Teams that have the revolving door on starting QBs like the 49ers, do so because they do not have a good one. Some of you can't see the forest through the trees.

AGAIN THE QB IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

The Packers have given up the most sacks this year, and we barely got to him. Why? Because their coordinator is smart enough to dial up plays that get the ball out of his hands quickly (slants, quick screens, comeback routes and quick outs when our DBs were like 5 yards off the line). The defense didn't know what was coming, Greenbay created a GAMEPLAN that was effective against what we threw at them. Now on the other hand, our GAMEPLAN on offense wasn't effective, until we went to the STRENGTH of our players. Now tell me how many yards and TDs our QB got in the 2nd half when he was playing to his STRENGTHS?
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I don't know but he could do nothing in the first half leading to a tired D...

"The Packers more than doubled the 49ers' time of possession, 41:39 to 18:21. The reason? The Packers managed 26 first downs to San Francisco's 10"

When you can't get first downs and sustain drives consistently this is the obvious result. I am upset too I wish we could win some games and find our QB of the future ASAP.

Thank you for making a great point. But since Garcia left QB has been our biggest problem and it continuous to be. Until we find a good QB we will rise once again but until then we are going to be just and 8-8 team.

tom brady wouldn't be a franchise qb here either with the oline....

LOL

What a moron! "Than" what?
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah the Pack was still bringing pressure and they were trying to run up the score. Billick specifically said that Capers doesn't believe in the prevent defense BS. Billick is a defensive guy who knows what he's talking about, I'd trust what he says.

Billick is an offensive guru bro!

They were not trying to run up the score they played real conservative in the 2nd half.

Really , I love all you guys who "Know" what is going on by watching the game on TV , and know X's and O's it's pure comedy. On the radio Plummer was drooling at the thought of playing in a defense that once they have the lead they get after it. So they let the 9ers get within a td of winning ? as a favor to Smith?

There was too much at stake for the Packers to play conservative. Packers win and they keep thier playoff hopes alive. There is no way I believe the Packers intentionally let the Niners close the score and almost pull off the upset.

The Packer nation would have loved to see the score run up because they hate the Niners as much as we hate them.
HOU and GB = success at Garbage Time and stalled once we got close and the opposition begins to clamp it up.

TEN = terrible play under normal conditions with 40 attempts.

Hmmm, you tell me.
You guys that say the O line isn't the main problem are just plain ignorant, don't you know how football works, or are you just that blind?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You guys that say the O line isn't the main problem are just plain ignorant, don't you know how football works, or are you just that blind?

The O-Line blocking well is common sense. However, the O-Line blocked well for the most part in the TEN game...what happened there? Oh yeah, it's because we weren't in shotgun. What happened when we were within 5 points early in the 4th quarter...oh wait, it was Vernon AND Walker who should have been 5 yards from where they were.
Share 49ersWebzone