LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

This team WON'T make the playoffs.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDburns6949
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Although this team is improved in some categories it is still a rebuilding project in many and very overrated on the WZ IMO. Let's look at the games and schedule for starters. Then we will look at other issues effecting this team. The reasons why we aren't a playoff caliber team I state below at the bottom of the post.

1) Cardinals (WIN) - they were missing key players at the time they played us and will be tougher next time.

2) Seahawks (WIN) - A very poor team this year and some key injuries.

3) Vikings (LOSS) - An elite team and they beat us. Say what you want about playing almost good enough. They beat us.

4) Rams (WIN) - When and NFL team plays a college team you are supposed to win.

5) Falcons (BIG LOSS) - A very good team beat us soundly in every aspect of the game.

6) At Texans - (loss).
7) At Colts - (big loss).
8) Titans (win).
9) Bears (loss). Cutler vs. Hill...
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
12) At Seattle (loss). They will play better at home.
13) Cardinals (loss). Getting some key players back now.
14) At Eagles (big loss).
15) Lions (win).
16) At Rams (win). You are supposed to beat college teams.

7 - 9 is what we are looking at as a best case scenario.

Also look at these things.

~ A playoff team doesn't have 4 / 5 Offensive linemen who can't block. Please show me the last playoff team that has this....

~ Inconsistent pass rush.

~ Bottom ranked offense. Show me an offense ranked this low that makes the playoffs. There is no ability to pass or come from behind. Thus there is very little ability to win against good teams.
~ Lack of GAME BREAKING SPEED. Good teams have game breakers like the Vikings, Saints or Falcons for example in the NFC. They have guys who can take it to the endzone. We have guys who get caught from behind in the open field.

~ Very questionable game day decisions by the coach. Calling a timeout to give a pep rally at the NFL level. I mean come on.... That cost us when Delanies fumble that wasn't a fumble could have been overturned. That's not playoff worthy. Bill Walsh or Jimmy Johnson would never make a move like that.

Singletary as a motivator 10/10 - no questions.
Singletary's game day decisions 4/10.

That doesn't get you deep in the playoffs.

~ A QB that throws a pass like a punt and can't come from behind. Can only "manage" the game to a win if you are up. But will lose if you are down.

Another overrated year. 49ers fans are hungy for a winning program but these factors make us still a rebuilding team. Playoff teams don't have this many holes. Just watch the playoffs the last few years. They don't have this many problems.

BALTIMORE'S OFFENSE LOOKED LIKE THIS FOR YEARS. Atleast we have players that i think will start to play better as the season progresses. We also have been w/o our #1 offensive weapon the past few games so def's can play a lil more honest. We have to get a passing game going though or else we won't go very far this season. Sundays game showed what i feared all preseason and that that we have noe pass offense there were a few plays i saw guys open but it seemed as f Hill as throwing to the defender his long ball has no accuracy and thats what's holding us back
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Method:
Cutler would be an upgrade, IMO. Of course, I wouldnt give up 2 first rounders for him. Maybe our own pick, but not Carolina's.....

Truthfully, I think we should keep both picks because right now, I'm kind of agreeing with SD9er here. Our offense is abysmal and I have no trust in our QB to even complete a pass farther then 7 yards. We have a lot to prove, and I'd want both of those picks if they are top 15's.

I dont mind keeping the picks. The question is what do we do with them ? Drafting a QB is out of the question. If we really think Davis is the future, then we need to bridge the gap from our current QB to when Davis finally takes over. If we dont think Hill/Smith are adequate enough to bridge this gap, then we need to go out in free agency and sign a guy like Jeff Garcia to give us at least 2 good playoff runs in the next couple years. Yes, Im serious about that playoff run because I think we have a decent enough roster to make the playoffs. All we need is a couple o-lineman and a legit receiver that can hold his own while Crabtree is "growing".

To be honest, we're not that far away. I wouldnt mind going after a guy like Garcia in the offseason. Plus, he'll come cheap........

Why is drafting a QB out of the question?

~ Alex LEAF - bust.

~ Shaun "noodle arm" Hill - throws the long ball like a punt.

~ Nate Davis - it's a huge leap for a 3rd string QB with a learning disability and who can't beat out those 2 clowns to be our QB of the future. He's not our future.

We still need a QB. Just because you busted on one doesn't mean you don't try again and get it right.

The Chargers for example picked Ryan Leaf (ultimate bust). But after that they picked Drew Brees (great pick) and Phillip Rivers (very good pick) both real high. Sometimes if at first you don't succeed you have to try, try again. Eventually you get it right and you hit on a guy who can change the franchise. We aren't going anywhere until we have a QB. I'm not saying reach for QB but if the right prospect falls to us I don't think we should turn away.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 15, 2009 at 20:41:36 ]
BOOOO! We are 3-0 in the west. If we go 5-1 + add a win against the Lions we still win the division. That means playoffs. You got to be kidding me.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
BOOOO! We are 3-0 in the west. If we go 5-1 + add a win against the Lions we still win the division. That means playoffs. You got to be kidding me.

Really? 'Cuz that puts us at 6-10. I don't think that's going to cut it. The playoffs aren't a lock. We have to find a way to win 3 or 4 games outside the division, which isn't going to be easy. There's a good chance that we miss the playoffs yet again, and it very well could come down to losing in Minnesota to Brett Favre's miracle heave in Week 3.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Im sorry, but 9-7 to 10-6 is still possible.

ARZ and SEA arent that good.

And Houston sucks, we should beat them easily.

Although this team is improved in some categories it is still a rebuilding project in many and very overrated on the WZ IMO. Let's look at the games and schedule for starters. Then we will look at other issues effecting this team. The reasons why we aren't a playoff caliber team I state below at the bottom of the post.

1) Cardinals (WIN) - they were missing key players at the time they played us and will be tougher next time.

3) Vikings (LOSS) - An elite team and they beat us. Say what you want about playing almost good enough. They beat us.

5) Falcons (BIG LOSS) - A very good team beat us soundly in every aspect of the game.

6) At Texans - (loss).
8) Titans (win).
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
15) Lions (win).

Also look at thsee things.

~ A playoff team doesn't have 4 / 5 Offensive linemen who can't block. Please show me the last playoff team that has this....

~ Bottom ranked offense. Show me an offense ranked this low that makes the playoffs. There is no ability to pass or come from behind. Thus there is very little ability to win against good teams.

~ Lack of GAME BREAKING SPEED. Good teams have game breakers like the Vikings, Saints or Falcons for example in the NFC. They have guys who can take it to the endzone. We have guys who get caught from behind in the open field.

~ Very questionable game day decisions by the coach. Calling a timeout to give a pep rally at the NFL level. I mean come on.... That cost us when Delanies fumble that wasn't a fumble could have been overturned. That's not playoff worthy. Bill Walsh or Jimmy Johnson would never make a move like that.

~ A QB that throws a pass like a punt and can't come from behind. Can only "manage" the game to a win if you are up. But will lose if you are down.

Another overrated year. 49ers fans are hungy for a winning program but these factors make us still a rebuilding team. Playoff teas don't have this many holes. Just watch the playoffs the last few years. They don't have this many problems.

Hassleback has been playing a little better and the Cardinals look better in some ways. We could lose those.

Hassleback plays well only when he is not against Frisco

6) At Texans - (loss).
8) Titans (win).
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
15) Lions (win).

Another overrated year. 49ers fans are hungy for a winning program but these factors make us still a rebuilding team. Playoff teams don't have this many holes. Just watch the playoffs the last few years. They don't have this many problems.

THIS TEAM WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS........Gore and davis with Our D and coach is easily enough to make the playoffs and advance. Even with the worst line and sometimes w/o gore we can still hang and beat a team like the vikes and other good nfc teams.....

10-6 to 9-7 and win the division

ALSO any other team with our OL would not be as good as the niners. I would like to see another team win the games that we did with our OL....can't name many (maybe NE and the giants but thats about it)
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

For the 2009 - 2010 season this is what I predict.

1 - 15.

The #2 pick in the draft behind the 0 - 16 Lions.

-9fA

We will win the nfc west!
Originally posted by Method:
Cutler would be an upgrade, IMO. Of course, I wouldnt give up 2 first rounders for him. Maybe our own pick, but not Carolina's.....

Truthfully, I think we should keep both picks because right now, I'm kind of agreeing with SD9er here. Our offense is abysmal and I have no trust in our QB to even complete a pass farther then 7 yards. We have a lot to prove, and I'd want both of those picks if they are top 15's.

I dont mind keeping the picks. The question is what do we do with them ? Drafting a QB is out of the question. If we really think Davis is the future, then we need to bridge the gap from our current QB to when Davis finally takes over. If we dont think Hill/Smith are adequate enough to bridge this gap, then we need to go out in free agency and sign a guy like Jeff Garcia to give us at least 2 good playoff runs in the next couple years. Yes, Im serious about that playoff run because I think we have a decent enough roster to make the playoffs. All we need is a couple o-lineman and a legit receiver that can hold his own while Crabtree is "growing".

To be honest, we're not that far away. I wouldnt mind going after a guy like Garcia in the offseason. Plus, he'll come cheap........

Why is drafting a QB out of the question?

~ Alex LEAF - bust.

~ Shaun "noodle arm" Hill - throws the long ball like a punt.

~ Nate Davis - it's a huge leap for a 3rd string QB with a learning disability and who can't beat out those 2 clowns to be our QB of the future. He's not our future.

We still need a QB. Just because you busted on one doesn't mean you don't try again and get it right.

The Chargers for example picked Ryan Leaf (ultimate bust). But after that they picked Drew Brees (great pick) and Phillip Rivers (very good pick) both real high. Sometimes if at first you don't succeed you have to try, try again. Eventually you get it right and you hit on a guy who can change the franchise. We aren't going anywhere until we have a QB. I'm not saying reach for QB but if the right prospect falls to us I don't think we should turn away.

Classic, SanDiego49er....

I agree with SD 100% this team is massivly overrated by 49er fans. Yeah we are 3 and 2 and atop the division BUT we played an Arizona team that was hurt and It was the very first game of the season they are better than us, we played a Seattle team that was missing 9 starters and would have one if Matt stayed in I believe that bash me if you want. And we beat the NFL college team in STL. The O is garbage might be the worst oline in the NFL. Raye is a joke and Sing I'm sorry but he is overrated as well motivation will only get a coach so far. He is also way to stubborn. His game managment is piss poor too what NFL team needs a timeout for a pep talk is this high school?? We can not compete with the upper teams in the NFC and ATL proved that. As for Hill he is a HUGE problem for the team he has played like s**t the whole season but Iam not going to get into that the sad sad truth here is he shouldn't be starting for anyteam in the NFL. I mean what f**king NFL QB needs to rest there arm WOW have you heard of Brees, Paeyton, Brady, McNaab or any other QB taking precious time off during the season to rest their arm while the backup works with the #1 O? NO! That's pathetic. So don't bash the guy because he isn't wearing blinders, I'm sure he is just as happy as everyone else to be 3 and 2 he just isn't wearing a blindfold and can clearly see we have caught a lot of breaks and are not a playoff team.

[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Oct 15, 2009 at 22:12:11 ]

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I agree with SD 100% this team is massivly overrated by 49er fans. Yeah we are 3 and 2 and atop the division BUT we played an Arizona team that was hurt and It was the very first came of the season they are better than us, we played a Seattle team that's was missing 9 starters and would have one is Matt stayed in I believe that nash me if you want. And we beat the NFL college team in STL. The O is garbage might be the worst oline in the NFL Raye is a joke and Sing I'm sorry but he is overrated at well motivation will only get a coach so far. He is also way to stubborn. His game managment is piss poor too what NFL teams a timeout for a pep talk is this high school?? We can not compete with the upper teams in the NFC and ATL proved that. As for Hill he is a HUGE problem for the team he has played like s**t the whole season but Iam not going to get into that the sad sad truth here is he shouldn't be starting for anyteam in the NFL. I mean what f**king NFL QB needs to rest there arm WOW have you heard of Brees, Paeyton, Brady, McNaab or any other QB taking precious time off during the season to rest their arm while the backup works with the #1 O? NO! That's pathetic. So don't bash the guy because he isn't wearing blinders, I'm sure he is just as happy as everyone else to be 3 and 2 he just isn't wearing a blindfold and can clearly see we have caught a lot of breaks and are not a playoff team.

I think because we play in the NFC West, we're a playoff team. However, I don't expect to win any playoff games with Hill as our QB and our OL playing like they have been. Plus, I think our defense will wear down towards the end of the season. You might see an improved offense towards the end of the season, but by that time, the defense is going to be so beat up from having to carry this team that it's going to start giving up way more yards, points, etc. That's just my opinion on how the season plays out, based on the first 5 games of the year.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 15, 2009 at 22:11:29 ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

For the 2009 - 2010 season this is what I predict.

1 - 15.

The #2 pick in the draft behind the 0 - 16 Lions.

-9fA

HAHAHA Where did that quote come from?
  • krizay
  • Veteran

6) At Texans - (loss).
8) Titans (win).
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
15) Lions (win).

I don't think we will either. But as soon as I seen the thread title I immediately thought sandiego49er.

Gotta give you credit though. You didn't call for us to lose the rest of our games like I expected.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
fire the coach?

Actually I think he is decent overall. A master motivator. His game day decisions concern me and sometimes his passion gets the best of him.

Motivator 10 / 10.

Game day decisions 4 / 10. A timeout to have a PEP RALLY that later costs you an important challenge... Amateur hour at best.

Yelling at opposing teams players instead of keeping your focus and compusure 2 / 10.

The Singletary passion and intensity is a mixed bag. That's all I'm saying.

And the personnel decisions leave something to be desired. Cut or kick returner? Chilo is still a starter?

i was just kidding about firing the coach! i think our problem is really our QB... we need someone that can keep the offense on the field and convert those 3 down passes and keep our Defense fresh and we'll be okay. Hill can't scramble for jack when the pressure is applied. Smith can scramble but can't QB period...!i dunno... i just can't see our defense winning too many games for us... we played the lowly rams and what our D scored just as much as our offense? man that's speaks much for this offense!

QB is a huge problem. Hill is not a long term answer. Alex appears to be a bust at this point (that's really too bad). The WR's are so overrated. I hope Craptree turns into something like we thought. We need him to.

Without that QB i sure hope crabtree knows how to pass the ball to himself and make some dam plays! LOL

QB is huge. I don't disagree with you. But having a quality WR to throw to is also important. We haven't had one of those in what like 6 or 7 years now right? I think it all works together but QB and O Line are more important. We have been trying to rebuild that for like 6 years (QB and O Line) and have so far failed miserably at both. We still need to rebuild both. That's EPIC FAIL right there.

Scot could have made up for a lot of bad choices if he had picked up Cutler when he was available. Until we get a top qb nothing else matters.

Dude you could have this QB Corps:

QB1 P. Manning
QB2 Brady
QB3 Kurt Warner(I bet he's happy he didn't sign with us in the Offseason)
QB4(Alternate 3) E. Manning

And it wouldn't have made up for $4|t.

Cause they would all get killed...

Well okay maybe I'm overstating that just a bit cause they at least have arms and can audible.

Point is Cutler didn't look that great when the Broncos Line wasn't protecting him well. If he has all day to stand in the pocket, he looks good. But when was the last time our Line gave ANYONE all day to stand in the pocket?

If you saw the Fins/Colts matchup you would have seen Mannings nice CLEAN uniform at the end of the game. Yeah he got knocked down. But that away white uniform didn't have a grass stain on the front.

I still think that Smith is the way to go here, only because he does have the arm to come out swingin with the playbook being completely at Raye's disposal. Right now we can't sustain a drive for long on Hill's arm. It's never going to happen on a consistent basis.

McCloughan needs to suck it up and go after and PAY some solid FA Linemen to fill in, during the Offseason. That is the FIRST thing that needs to be fixed everything else on the Offense can wait.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 15, 2009 at 22:21:37 ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I agree with SD 100% this team is massivly overrated by 49er fans. Yeah we are 3 and 2 and atop the division BUT we played an Arizona team that was hurt and It was the very first game of the season they are better than us, we played a Seattle team that was missing 9 starters and would have one if Matt stayed in I believe that bash me if you want. And we beat the NFL college team in STL. The O is garbage might be the worst oline in the NFL. Raye is a joke and Sing I'm sorry but he is overrated as well motivation will only get a coach so far. He is also way to stubborn. His game managment is piss poor too what NFL team needs a timeout for a pep talk is this high school?? We can not compete with the upper teams in the NFC and ATL proved that. As for Hill he is a HUGE problem for the team he has played like s**t the whole season but Iam not going to get into that the sad sad truth here is he shouldn't be starting for anyteam in the NFL. I mean what f**king NFL QB needs to rest there arm WOW have you heard of Brees, Paeyton, Brady, McNaab or any other QB taking precious time off during the season to rest their arm while the backup works with the #1 O? NO! That's pathetic. So don't bash the guy because he isn't wearing blinders, I'm sure he is just as happy as everyone else to be 3 and 2 he just isn't wearing a blindfold and can clearly see we have caught a lot of breaks and are not a playoff team.

+1

Share 49ersWebzone