LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

Seriously though, McNabb? Marshall? Is this Madden or what?
Originally posted by B650:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

For real, what a ridiculous scenario, and this guy wants to bag on other people for wanting to try another QB.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

Wow with part time Gm's like this , maybe Smith isn't done if they think McNabb and Brandon MArshall are coming , why stop there how about Brady and Moss
Originally posted by 9ermj:

Wow with part time Gm's like this , maybe Smith isn't done if they think McNabb and Brandon MArshall are coming , why stop there how about Brady and Moss

These people just don't understand the power of the almighty Smith.

I believe in the second coming....

He will lead us to the promise land!!!

Question for the MODS...Can I change my name to AlexthekingSmith or is that sacrilegious?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Question for the MODS...Can I change my name to AlexthekingSmith or is that sacrilegious?

It doesn't even have to be Smith. Give Nate a simplified playbook. He can't do much worse than Hill, even as a rookie. Seriously, 2,000 yards and 16 TDs? If Hill keeps this up, why not? Give me one good reason. The OL sucks? So what are we going to do? Build an All-World OL before we sign a quality QB?
  • obx49
  • Veteran

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things to do with my life than play silly cartoon games.

[ Edited by obx49 on Oct 12, 2009 at 19:57:55 ]
Wow, 1600 votes and stil at 50%...

It doesn't even have to be Smith. Give Nate a simplified playbook. He can't do much worse than Hill, even as a rookie. Seriously, 2,000 yards and 16 TDs? If Hill keeps this up, why not? Give me one good reason. The OL sucks? So what are we going to do? Build an All-World OL before we sign a quality QB?

You're right if Hill is the reason we lose the next 3 games then we need to make a change. I just don't get why people would make a change now. Also the people either have real bad memories or just plain lying to themselves about how good Smith played the past 5 years.
  • B650
  • Veteran

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be with on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things with my life to do than play silly cartoon games.

5 TDs, averaging less than 180 yards per game doesn't concern you, especially from someone 4 years older than Smith? The lack of being able to throw a spiral, something basic to all QBs, doesn't concern you? The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over is good enough to offset that? Why, because we have the '85 Bears defense to rely on, right?

Hill doesn't turn the ball over, but we lead the league with the most three-and-outs. Pretty similar to a turnover if you ask me.

And lastly, it's not about one bad game. If that's the case, you let it go. It happens. He's played like crap for 5 games now. Even in the drive in Arizona at the end of the game, Hill threw a ball that should've been intercepted, but he got lucky. He did the same thing in the drive against Minnesota (pass in double coverage to Vernon Davis). The guy isn't an NFL-quality starter. How many more lost seasons do we need to realize this?
  • obx49
  • Veteran

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be with on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things with my life to do than play silly cartoon games.

5 TDs, averaging less than 180 yards per game doesn't concern you, especially from someone 4 years older than Smith? The lack of being able to throw a spiral, something basic to all QBs, doesn't concern you? The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over is good enough to offset that? Why, because we have the '85 Bears defense to rely on, right?

Hill doesn't turn the ball over, but we lead the league with the most three-and-outs. Pretty similar to a turnover if you ask me.

And lastly, it's not about one bad game. If that's the case, you let it go. It happens. He's played like crap for 5 games now. Even in the drive in Arizona at the end of the game, Hill threw a ball that should've been intercepted, but he got lucky. He did the same thing in the drive against Minnesota (pass in double coverage to Vernon Davis). The guy isn't an NFL-quality starter. How many more lost seasons do we need to realize this?

Look, ultimately I do agree with you, we need a better QB, Hill is definitely not the long term answer. That being said, all that matters at the end of the day are W's and if Shaun Hill continues to do whatever he does to win us some games and takes us to the playoffs then he has my 100% support. When that day comes where Hill has a loosing streak and is not producing for us then I am all for making a change. In the mean time whether we like it or not Hill is our QB and we should back him 100%.

• BobS
  • Veteran

Neither is Smith, in fact there are many teams that they would not even be second string on, neither one would even make the Eagles as a third stringer. Both are down right pathetic and an embarrassment to a franchise that has a history of great quarterback play. The answer at QB is not on this roster. Let the pie throwing side armed joke of a QB, Hill that won the competition, play until we are out of contention, then give Davis a shot and draft a QB in 2010. Smith never showed any promise, not even a hint.
Originally posted by BobS:

Neither is Smith, in fact there are many teams that they would not even be second string on, neither one would even make the Eagles as a third stringer. Both are down right pathetic and an embarrassment to a franchise that has a history of great quarterback play. The answer at QB is not on this roster. Let the pie throwing side armed joke of a QB, Hill that won the competition, play until we are out of contention, then give Davis a shot and draft a QB in 2010. Smith never showed any promise, not even a hint.

By the way if you want to see real QB play watch Monday night football
  • B650
  • Veteran

Look, ultimately I do agree with you, we need a better QB, Hill is definitely not the long term answer. That being said, all that matters at the end of the day are W's and if Shaun Hill continues to do whatever he does to win us some games and takes us to the playoffs then he has my 100% support. When that day comes where Hill has a loosing streak and is not producing for us then I am all for making a change. In the mean time whether we like it or not Hill is our QB and we should back him 100%.

Which is why I was supporting Hill earlier. We were 2-0 and then 3-2. Now we're on the verge of being 3-4 or worse. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little. Hopefully the bye helps us somehow. Maybe Hill plays lights out after the bye. Maybe Crabtree turns this offense around. I'll back Hill as long as we're winning, but as soon as our record slips to .500 or worse, what's the point of sticking with Hill?

We need a win in Houston badly.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

By the way if you want to see real QB play watch Monday night football

I'm watching. It's pathetic how a rookie for NY and a QB Miami JUST put in after Pennington's injury both look better than Hill.

Which is why I was supporting Hill earlier. We were 2-0 and then 3-2. Now we're on the verge of being 3-4 or worse. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little. Hopefully the bye helps us somehow. Maybe Hill plays lights out after the bye. Maybe Crabtree turns this offense around. I'll back Hill as long as we're winning, but as soon as our record slips to .500 or worse, what's the point of sticking with Hill?

We need a win in Houston badly.

Damn..I didn't know the game in Houston counts as two!!! JK
Share 49ersWebzone