There are 310 users in the forums

These wins are great, but

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wow, it's crazy to see people piling on to the OP for questioning Hill. He has a valid point. Sure, enjoy the W's, but its ok to think about the future too.

Here is another way to put it: How quick do you think Singletary will be to pull Hill if he is not getting it done and we need to come from behind in a big game? This is a serious question. Do you think Hill's hold on the job is solid, or will we make a fast switch if we start losing due to an ineffective passing game? Let's hope we keep winning, but just curious what happens if we don't and the passing game is the reason.
These wins are great.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

The D is the reason we are 2and 0 and Gore from yesterday NOT Hill

Great attidute. Hoping for your team to fail. Brillant.
If that happens I presuem you´ll be happy then?

Um no I enjoyed the wins and hope we do win but the reality is the vikes have a top notch D and those people who say if hill manages the games like he has and not winning them we will be f**ked up by them. Our D is good but not that good to shut down the vikes and our O doesnt look like it can score many points if need be
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

"]I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.."

wtf, are you serious dude??? you really CAN'T WAIT to see the 49ers fail and play poorly? You and towelboy should go ahead and take off your red and gold and go be seahawk fans or something. This is pretty pathetic.

Having your own opinions on who should be quarterback is a legitimate argument, but hoping your team will fail is not what fans do. And on top of that, the vikes D is soooOOoOoo much better than the seahawks and cardinals right? Name 6 of their starting defensive players without checking internet.... i doubt you can, because the Vikes D is nothing special around the NFL.

Who's the first person you think of when you mention the Vikes...Adrian Peterson, Willis and our D can shut him down, who's next? Bret Favre, our defense shut him down last year. IMO, we have a good chance at winning that game. Even if the odds are against us, I would NEVER hope that the 49ers fail.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Results are what matter. The team doesn't have a true QB leader other than Hill. He gets the job done and the offense responds to his leadership and passion for the game. Once Hill starts falling on his face and causes this team to have a losing record all you haters can come out and complain. Until then, shut it.

It's called GAME MANAGEMENT! Of course he's going to take a sack rather then force the balls.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
This is like a virgin complaining about getting laid because it's a chubby girl.
Hill is an avg QB, but compared with the rest of the QBs in a 49ers uniform, he is BY FAR the best!
Is he Manning, Brady or Brees, no...but we are 2-0 and I'll take that over anything else. Hill actually did carry this team for the most part in the 4th qtr drive against AZ, when it mattered most....so there is potential. Should we try and get a young/talented QB for our future? Always.

Also, where are our WRs? Bruce (old), VD? Who can Hill throw to?

Yeah, you're a real fan. Why in the world do you want to see that ? That makes NO SENSE if you are a true niner fan.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Chief:

That was a troll post, really?

Yes, go away towel boy. This thread is garbage.

[ Edited by Lott49ersFan on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM ]

The Webzone's Joecool does not approve or nor does he endorse this or any thread which reflects negatively on Shaun "The Savior, The Second Coming of Joe Montana" Hill.
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

Quote:
I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill
Quote:

it doesn't take an expert to know that smith is worst than Hill. Have you been in a cave for 4 years
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

Yes, he is.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Hill definitely has his limitations and his W-L record notwithstanding, he probably will not be the 49ers QB if/when they win their next SB. But, at this point, he is the 49ers best option. Smith may eventually get a chance to play this season (or next) but he also has not played and been healthy for a meaningful game in almost 2 years.

You aren't really being fair to Hill either. Yes, at times its ugly and there are definitely some throws he cannot make but he has risen to the occasion when needed (e.g. the winning drive against Arizona in game 1 of this year, the Ram game last year) and generally he does not make the big mistake. He does tend to hold the ball too long and get lost in the pocket when the initial read isn't there but as long as he keeps winning, he's going to be the QB until there is a clear better alternative.

Trading for a QB isn't an option. First, there aren't any top QBs available. Second, even if they did bring in another QB, he would be looking at learning a new system, learning new receivers, etc. The NFL is too complicated at the QB position to try to plug someone in on the fly during the season, which is why the 49ers talked to Warner and considered Cutler in the off-season and perhaps Sanchez in the draft. If they were going to bring in a new QB, the time to do it was at least before training camp. They ultimately settled on the QB competition between Hill and Smith and Hill won. For better or worse, he's your 49er QB for 2009 until proven otherwise or he gets hurt.

If they go 10-6 and Hill is the starter for the remainder of the season, he would then be approximately 17-9 as a starter (he's 9-3 currently). The real question is...if Hill plays like he has the first 2 weeks and the 49ers go to the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6, what do they do in the off-season about the QB position.

he gets us w's...it may be ugly but we are winning
Share 49ersWebzone