There are 135 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

The #1 pick, the best player in all of college football for that year, got beaten out by a undrafted QB out of Maryland that didn't even receive a scholarship to play Div. II football.

Hill might not be the second coming of Joe Montana, but he sure gives us a better chance to win...so what Alex can throw a 1 deep bomb a game? Few games are won with 1 play.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
^^^It's not the "Smith lovers" it's the people that wanted to SEE a competition. Only to see poor Receiving and NO competition. No wonder it was called early. NOBODY FREAKIN WON it was straight up stalemate. Do you win Chess games with Stalemates? If so where do you play and would you like to take winners?

Originally posted by Apone:
Absolutely he gives us the best shot to go the super bowl.

"Super Bowl"...

"Super Bowl"...

"Super Bowl"...

Thanks for that I seriously needed a good laugh. Please don't stop cause I could use some more laughter to brighten my day.

"Super Bowl". *phah* That's rich.

I just can't help myself to f'n funny.

~Ceadder

That's my quarterback. It's not fair.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I can't believe this is a thread. Do the 49ers really have a choice?
  • Crab5
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
The #1 pick, the best player in all of college football for that year, got beaten out by a undrafted QB out of Maryland that didn't even receive a scholarship to play Div. II football.

Hill might not be the second coming of Joe Montana, but he sure gives us a better chance to win...so what Alex can throw a 1 deep bomb a game? Few games are won with 1 play.

I wouldn't term Hill's play as "beating out" Smith. They both played horribly, and this team missed an opportunity when Farve and Vick were available. The QB play or lack of it will cost this team at least 3 games this year.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Wow, we are two weeks away from the season and only 28% suppport for our starting QB because he had a mediocre half of football...

I am not sure how much football you all watch, but how many games are won in the first half?..... almost none! Unless the game becomes a blowout, no way is the first half anything more than position scoring...

He did not look great, even decent would be pushing it. He misconnected on some throws that should have been there, but to lose sooo much support over 30 minutes of football... wow... im speechless...

Don't look at me, I voted Yes.

The bottom line is that I don't care how bad he looks in preseason, just that he stays healthy. The guy had an 87+ QB rating last season, and until I see him flop in a real game, I have confidence that number was not a coincidence. Haven't we already established Hill as a mediocre preseason QB?

The real issue is not at QB, it is at OL.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Wow, we are two weeks away from the season and only 28% suppport for our starting QB because he had a mediocre half of football...

I am not sure how much football you all watch, but how many games are won in the first half?..... almost none! Unless the game becomes a blowout, no way is the first half anything more than position scoring...

He did not look great, even decent would be pushing it. He misconnected on some throws that should have been there, but to lose sooo much support over 30 minutes of football... wow... im speechless...

Don't look at me, I voted Yes.

The bottom line is that I don't care how bad he looks in preseason, just that he stays healthy. The guy had an 87+ QB rating last season, and until I see him flop in a real game, I have confidence that number was not a coincidence. Haven't we already established Hill as a mediocre preseason QB?

The real issue is not at QB, it is at OL.

For once in my time here in the zone, I agree with Mad Dog
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

did you watch the game yesterday? or again today?

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

So Hill converted 6 first downs by passing the ball.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

3 of the drives ended on stupid Wildcat calls, the drive after Roman's pick Hill was horrible (that pass to Bruce was terrible)

However, his drives have been stalling all preseason, not just last night. He's only been able to deliver FGs. You're not going to win very many games by just scoring FGs.

That's the issue I'm having with Hill this year. He moves the ball down the field and stalls inside the 30 and has to settle for a FG.

the first preseason game...on his only drive, he drove us down field....and on 3rd down we decided to run on 3rd and 3. Who knows what would have happened if we passed the ball....but that drive stop and we got 3 points.... we drove down the field for 60 yards.....we started around the 20 yard line and we ended around their 20 yard line..........and that was that for Shaun.

so the next week he is expect to stay sharp after only getting on drive and sitting out the rest of the game.....then on top of that, in the next game...he has to come in the second qtr...and is expected to stay sharp?...excuses...fine what ever..... but you say that his drives have been stalling all season....well that is not necessarily true.

the fact is, in the 1st two preseason games....Shaun was allowed 3 real drives.

the first one we got 3pts
the second one (Raider game, him came off the bench) the drive stalled right away.
the third one...we got 3pts (Hill missed Vernon in the endzone)

the forth one wasn't really a drive...there was :29 seconds left when we got the ball and we just ran out the clock to end the half.

so 2 of the 3 real drives....we scored.....we drove down the field.

and yesterday on his first drive....he helped us move downfield for another score.

Hey Brother you forgot that he also failed to score against the raiders when Coffee gift wrapped him the ball at the 4 yard line. I know we have had our arguments with Hill/Smith but you got to be fair.Your using the fact that he came off the bench as an "Hillusion" as to why his drive stalled? come on man, Hill is used to coming off the Bench and looking better than the Qb who was before him. (Dilfer in '07 and JTO in '08). The only problem I have with Hill right now, is how fast he is regressing in the Preseason, Or is it teams figuring out his game? We shall find out in two weeks. I mean if neither Him nor Smith can take advantage of what's been presented in front of them, then fck it lets go with Huard and Develope Davis.

not really an excuse because of him having to come of the bench....more so that, that was his 2nd drive in the preseason....and it came the very next week, after a quarter of play.....and I was surprised that he came in when he did...I thought Alex would be allowed to finish the drive.....

anyway like I said it was his 2nd drive of the preseason....I wouldn't expect him to be sharp...just like I wouldn't expect Alex to be sharp in his 2nd drive of the preseason....or hell any other QB in the league. This was early in the preseason.

now the Dallas game is different...but I think if you really look into what happened in that game....imo, Shaun made more plays than made mistakes, against Dallas starting defense.

Aside from the 2nd Rams game last year, I thought that was the worst Hill has ever played in the game, so to say he made more plays, that's not really true because how many points did he score? 3, and yes they could have tried to get 7, but it just wasnt happening fo him at all. How bad would Alex have been bashed for missing Issac Bruce???
Or how about when Smith got bashed for missing Coffee on the screen in the 1st pre season game againt the Broncos? I could have sworn Hill missed Coffee in a screen play against Dallas.

Overall point is that while i dont disagree with Hill being the starter, i am very concerned with how quickly he is becoming inneffective, and IF (that's a big IF because i know he has previously played well in games, but also you have to consider his competion when he did looked good) he continues to play this way, i doubt it's going to take long for Singletary to pull the plug on his ass. I want to see him do really well because I HATE THE f**kING CARDINALS!!!!!!! and if he gets pulled that means we're getting our asses handed to us.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Hill might not be the second coming of Joe Montana, but he sure gives us a better chance to win...so what Alex can throw a 1 deep bomb a game?Few games are won with 1 play.

While im not saying Hill shouldn't start, it is the Tough hard fought games that are won by 1 or two plays.

Elimnate One play against the cardinal in 08 and the Two touchdown plays against the Dolphins in 08 and were in the f**king Playoffs.

[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 31, 2009 at 14:43:44 ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

did you watch the game yesterday? or again today?

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

So Hill converted 6 first downs by passing the ball.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

3 of the drives ended on stupid Wildcat calls, the drive after Roman's pick Hill was horrible (that pass to Bruce was terrible)

However, his drives have been stalling all preseason, not just last night. He's only been able to deliver FGs. You're not going to win very many games by just scoring FGs.

That's the issue I'm having with Hill this year. He moves the ball down the field and stalls inside the 30 and has to settle for a FG.

the first preseason game...on his only drive, he drove us down field....and on 3rd down we decided to run on 3rd and 3. Who knows what would have happened if we passed the ball....but that drive stop and we got 3 points.... we drove down the field for 60 yards.....we started around the 20 yard line and we ended around their 20 yard line..........and that was that for Shaun.

so the next week he is expect to stay sharp after only getting on drive and sitting out the rest of the game.....then on top of that, in the next game...he has to come in the second qtr...and is expected to stay sharp?...excuses...fine what ever..... but you say that his drives have been stalling all season....well that is not necessarily true.

the fact is, in the 1st two preseason games....Shaun was allowed 3 real drives.

the first one we got 3pts
the second one (Raider game, him came off the bench) the drive stalled right away.
the third one...we got 3pts (Hill missed Vernon in the endzone)

the forth one wasn't really a drive...there was :29 seconds left when we got the ball and we just ran out the clock to end the half.

so 2 of the 3 real drives....we scored.....we drove down the field.

and yesterday on his first drive....he helped us move downfield for another score.

Hey Brother you forgot that he also failed to score against the raiders when Coffee gift wrapped him the ball at the 4 yard line. I know we have had our arguments with Hill/Smith but you got to be fair.Your using the fact that he came off the bench as an "Hillusion" as to why his drive stalled? come on man, Hill is used to coming off the Bench and looking better than the Qb who was before him. (Dilfer in '07 and JTO in '08). The only problem I have with Hill right now, is how fast he is regressing in the Preseason, Or is it teams figuring out his game? We shall find out in two weeks. I mean if neither Him nor Smith can take advantage of what's been presented in front of them, then fck it lets go with Huard and Develope Davis.

not really an excuse because of him having to come of the bench....more so that, that was his 2nd drive in the preseason....and it came the very next week, after a quarter of play.....and I was surprised that he came in when he did...I thought Alex would be allowed to finish the drive.....

anyway like I said it was his 2nd drive of the preseason....I wouldn't expect him to be sharp...just like I wouldn't expect Alex to be sharp in his 2nd drive of the preseason....or hell any other QB in the league. This was early in the preseason.

now the Dallas game is different...but I think if you really look into what happened in that game....imo, Shaun made more plays than made mistakes, against Dallas starting defense.

Aside from the 2nd Rams game last year, I thought that was the worst Hill has ever played in the game, so to say he made more plays, that's not really true because how many points did he score? 3, and yes they could have tried to get 7, but it just wasnt happening fo him at all. How bad would Alex have been bashed for missing Issac Bruce???
Or how about when Smith got bashed for missing Coffee on the screen in the 1st pre season game againt the Broncos? I could have sworn Hill missed Coffee in a screen play against Dallas.

Overall point is that while i dont disagree with Hill being the starter, i am very concerned with how quickly he is becoming inneffective, and IF (that's a big IF because i know he has previously played well in games, but also you have to consider his competion when he did looked good) he continues to play this way, i doubt it's going to take long for Singletary to pull the plug on his ass. I want to see him do really well because I HATE THE f**kING CARDINALS!!!!!!! and if he gets pulled that means we're getting our asses handed to us.

best chance to win a ball game? Yes
Want to win a Super Bowl? No

To be fair, because of this dumb QB competition, Hill hasn't really practiced full reps for a full week prior to a game yet. Neither had Alex Smith.

This is why Hill not practicing due to his back was critical. This team has yet to have a chance to get into a rythm with the QB they will be going into gameday with.
Originally posted by Joecool:
To be fair, because of this dumb QB competition, Hill hasn't really practiced full reps for a full week prior to a game yet. Neither had Alex Smith.

This is why Hill not practicing due to his back was critical. This team has yet to have a chance to get into a rythm with the QB they will be going into gameday with.

What happen to the carry over rythm from the last 8 games of 2008 season?

Did it just disappear?

Hill worked with all these WR's since 2008 season...except "Mr.Cashtree"

To be fair, Alex did not.... im just saying.

[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 31, 2009 at 14:57:31 ]
  • SANDMAN
  • Info N/A
Hill has to be the starter by default. No one else can move the team as well as he can. Hill will be ok if the O-line gives him time and a receiver can get open.

I have seen “to be fair” used too much in regards to Hill lately. I love how those who hate Alex, use the term Alexcuses, yet in the same breath they state “To be fair” to give an excuse for Hill. No excuses for either.

Mind you, I am not a Hill or Smith hater; I just don’t think either of them is any good.

What happen to the carry over rythm from the last 8 games of 2008 season?

Did it just disappear?

Hill worked with all these WR's since 2008 season...except "Mr.Cashtree"

To be fair, Alex did not.... im just saying.

Don't worry, once he gets some good pratices in as the only starter, his last 8 game play will come out again.

Hey, he may not be a world beater but it sure beats having a bunch of 3 and outs.
Share 49ersWebzone