LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 301 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Dallas is touted to be one of the better teams in the league along with the Patriots, Colts, Giants, Eagles and Chargers. Did we really expect Hill and company to go into Dallas and tear them up?

Maybe someone failed to see that the OFFENSIVE line wasn't giving Hill much protection! Inspite of that, they were only 7 points down at the end of the 1st half!

Davis looks very good, but let's not lose the fact that he played against the 2nd and 3rd strigers. So don't jump into the conclusion that he would have fared better against the Cowboys 1st team.

Too many people here give up too soon. Gore has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Hill has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Maybe if Joe Nedney would have missed that 1st half field goal, peeps here would be calling for his head too!

Sheesh!

Your name sounds homosexual like

...and yours sound like something someone picked up South of the Border!
Hill will be ok...he really didn't practice last week and it showed. Like any QB, he needs reps to stay sharp. He'll get them now and it will pay off. He knows what he has to do...have a little patience and let him do it. If this were the regular season, then you might have some reason for concern. 'Til it is...I'd say, don't worry.

I like what Nate Davis has done...he's most likely going to be our #3 QB. Not bad since many said he wasn't going to make it beyond the PS. But, he's a rookie and hasn't played against the 1st string defenses. His time will come...now's just too soon.
  • brandonjg
  • Info N/A
we couldn't throw to any receivers at all this week.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

did you watch the game yesterday? or again today?

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

So Hill converted 6 first downs by passing the ball.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

3 of the drives ended on stupid Wildcat calls, the drive after Roman's pick Hill was horrible (that pass to Bruce was terrible)

However, his drives have been stalling all preseason, not just last night. He's only been able to deliver FGs. You're not going to win very many games by just scoring FGs.

That's the issue I'm having with Hill this year. He moves the ball down the field and stalls inside the 30 and has to settle for a FG.

the first preseason game...on his only drive, he drove us down field....and on 3rd down we decided to run on 3rd and 3. Who knows what would have happened if we passed the ball....but that drive stop and we got 3 points.... we drove down the field for 60 yards.....we started around the 20 yard line and we ended around their 20 yard line..........and that was that for Shaun.

so the next week he is expect to stay sharp after only getting on drive and sitting out the rest of the game.....then on top of that, in the next game...he has to come in the second qtr...and is expected to stay sharp?...excuses...fine what ever..... but you say that his drives have been stalling all season....well that is not necessarily true.

the fact is, in the 1st two preseason games....Shaun was allowed 3 real drives.

the first one we got 3pts
the second one (Raider game, him came off the bench) the drive stalled right away.
the third one...we got 3pts (Hill missed Vernon in the endzone)

the forth one wasn't really a drive...there was :29 seconds left when we got the ball and we just ran out the clock to end the half.

so 2 of the 3 real drives....we scored.....we drove down the field.

and yesterday on his first drive....he helped us move downfield for another score.

Hey Brother you forgot that he also failed to score against the raiders when Coffee gift wrapped him the ball at the 4 yard line. I know we have had our arguments with Hill/Smith but you got to be fair.Your using the fact that he came off the bench as an "Hillusion" as to why his drive stalled? come on man, Hill is used to coming off the Bench and looking better than the Qb who was before him. (Dilfer in '07 and JTO in '08). The only problem I have with Hill right now, is how fast he is regressing in the Preseason, Or is it teams figuring out his game? We shall find out in two weeks. I mean if neither Him nor Smith can take advantage of what's been presented in front of them, then fck it lets go with Huard and Develope Davis.

[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 31, 2009 at 09:57:50 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
EVERYONE knows what Hill offers and what he doesnt. Now this is his chance to be the guy and that showing on Saturday was not the way you want to start. Dallas exposed the things, we all knew about Hill: No mobility (in the pocket)and a Noodle arm. I just don't see how he can get us anywhere. He'll get us a couple of wins, but he's not taking us anywhere. Luckly for Hill this is a much, much better Organization than years past and our D will be good!!! Cant wait for the season to start and see what happens.

...I will say I really like this Davis kid and what he has shown so far!!!!

Our Defense is a big question mark without a legit Pass Rush.

Our Q.B. is a big question mark without a legit arm.

However, our team will be better than last season because of Coach Singletary.
yes
I fully still believe in hill, until he shows me other wise, he is a winner. I will admit his lack of arm strength deos concern me, but I still have faith in the guy. PEACE FROM THE FAN
Should I eat Captn' Crunch for breakfast?

And yes, Hill really should be our starter.

I think we had a thread that went to the sun and back listing all these wonderful points that this thread rehashed.

Sift through this for the point you want to make and stay there.
Well, at least Nate Davis appears to have all the tools to make our Q.B. future bright!
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

did you watch the game yesterday? or again today?

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

So Hill converted 6 first downs by passing the ball.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

3 of the drives ended on stupid Wildcat calls, the drive after Roman's pick Hill was horrible (that pass to Bruce was terrible)

However, his drives have been stalling all preseason, not just last night. He's only been able to deliver FGs. You're not going to win very many games by just scoring FGs.

That's the issue I'm having with Hill this year. He moves the ball down the field and stalls inside the 30 and has to settle for a FG.

the first preseason game...on his only drive, he drove us down field....and on 3rd down we decided to run on 3rd and 3. Who knows what would have happened if we passed the ball....but that drive stop and we got 3 points.... we drove down the field for 60 yards.....we started around the 20 yard line and we ended around their 20 yard line..........and that was that for Shaun.

so the next week he is expect to stay sharp after only getting on drive and sitting out the rest of the game.....then on top of that, in the next game...he has to come in the second qtr...and is expected to stay sharp?...excuses...fine what ever..... but you say that his drives have been stalling all season....well that is not necessarily true.

the fact is, in the 1st two preseason games....Shaun was allowed 3 real drives.

the first one we got 3pts
the second one (Raider game, him came off the bench) the drive stalled right away.
the third one...we got 3pts (Hill missed Vernon in the endzone)

the forth one wasn't really a drive...there was :29 seconds left when we got the ball and we just ran out the clock to end the half.

so 2 of the 3 real drives....we scored.....we drove down the field.

and yesterday on his first drive....he helped us move downfield for another score.

Hey Brother you forgot that he also failed to score against the raiders when Coffee gift wrapped him the ball at the 4 yard line. I know we have had our arguments with Hill/Smith but you got to be fair.Your using the fact that he came off the bench as an "Hillusion" as to why his drive stalled? come on man, Hill is used to coming off the Bench and looking better than the Qb who was before him. (Dilfer in '07 and JTO in '08). The only problem I have with Hill right now, is how fast he is regressing in the Preseason, Or is it teams figuring out his game? We shall find out in two weeks. I mean if neither Him nor Smith can take advantage of what's been presented in front of them, then fck it lets go with Huard and Develope Davis.

not really an excuse because of him having to come of the bench....more so that, that was his 2nd drive in the preseason....and it came the very next week, after a quarter of play.....and I was surprised that he came in when he did...I thought Alex would be allowed to finish the drive.....

anyway like I said it was his 2nd drive of the preseason....I wouldn't expect him to be sharp...just like I wouldn't expect Alex to be sharp in his 2nd drive of the preseason....or hell any other QB in the league. This was early in the preseason.

now the Dallas game is different...but I think if you really look into what happened in that game....imo, Shaun made more plays than made mistakes, against Dallas starting defense.

Originally posted by ninertico:

I think we had a thread that went to the sun and back listing all these wonderful points that this thread rehashed.

It's the Smith lovers, who think Smith should be the starter. Even though he couldn't beat out Hill for the job in the first place. Go figure.....
Hill has back problems. Alex smith will be our starter by Week 3.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by ninertico:

It's the Smith lovers, who think Smith should be the starter. Even though he couldn't beat out Hill for the job in the first place. Go figure.....

^^^It's not the "Smith lovers" it's the people that wanted to SEE a competition. Only to see poor Receiving and NO competition. No wonder it was called early. NOBODY FREAKIN WON it was straight up stalemate. Do you win Chess games with Stalemates? If so where do you play and would you like to take winners?

Originally posted by Apone:
Absolutely he gives us the best shot to go the super bowl.

"Super Bowl"...

"Super Bowl"...

"Super Bowl"...

Thanks for that I seriously needed a good laugh. Please don't stop cause I could use some more laughter to brighten my day.

"Super Bowl". *phah* That's rich.

I just can't help myself to f'n funny.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 31, 2009 at 13:18:02 ]
Originally posted by nyninerfan:
Hill has back problems. Alex smith will be our starter by Week 3.

Back problems or not.... I really think Hill's arm limitations are going to catch up to him as our team can't use thw whole playbook because Hill unable to make certain throws.

I like Hill.... but this is the NFL and Q.B. arm limitations are not a good thing, especially if it's your team Q.B. who has them.

Those mid-range to mid long floaters that Hill continully throws allows the defensive secondary players a chance to catch up to those balls and that = interceptions.

Heck, it almost appers OC Jimmy Raye is somewhat scared to call to many pass plays.
Share 49ersWebzone