LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by Joecool:
To be fair, because of this dumb QB competition, Hill hasn't really practiced full reps for a full week prior to a game yet. Neither had Alex Smith.

This is why Hill not practicing due to his back was critical. This team has yet to have a chance to get into a rythm with the QB they will be going into gameday with.

I have seen “to be fair” used too much in regards to Hill lately. I love how those who hate Alex, use the term Alexcuses, yet in the same breath they state “To be fair” to give an excuse for Hill. No excuses for either.

Mind you, I am not a Hill or Smith hater; I just don’t think either of them is any good.

Double Standards is how this Forum Rolls baby. the term for Hill is "Hillusions".
Originally posted by aacadena:
To be fair, because of this dumb QB competition, Hill hasn't really practiced full reps for a full week prior to a game yet. Neither had Alex Smith.

This is why Hill not practicing due to his back was critical. This team has yet to have a chance to get into a rythm with the QB they will be going into gameday with.

I have seen “to be fair” used too much in regards to Hill lately. I love how those who hate Alex, use the term Alexcuses, yet in the same breath they state “To be fair” to give an excuse for Hill. No excuses for either.

Mind you, I am not a Hill or Smith hater; I just don’t think either of them is any good.

Double Standards is how this Forum Rolls baby. the term for Hill is "Hillusions".

Jeezus, what have my beloved 9ers become when it's own fans start coming up with bad qb terms for their starting and backup quarterbacks.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Jeezus, what have my beloved 9ers become when it's own fans start coming up with bad qb terms for their starting and backup quarterbacks.

Inept at the QB position.

Possibly but Alexcuses and Hillusionists? Come on!

Hey, I agree, you just asked what has caused such name calling. I think both names are ridiculous. I don’t use either of them. I was merely pointing out a double standard.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

First, you can't have a thread about whether Hill should be the starter without making it about Smith or Davis (or Huard) since those are the other options at QB.

Second, to say Hill has not shown anything in the pre-season is taking it out of context. In the first game, he played 1 series, completed both of his passes and the 49ers scored a FG. In the 2nd game, he followed Smith in the QB rotation and did no better or worse than Smith. In the 3rd game, he was okay, not great, not terrible. To the extent you want to pretend pre-season matters, at halftime, the 49ers were down 7 on the road against a Dallas team most see as a playoff team and Hill's best drive was the one right before the half. Smith didn't play. Davis played against 3rd stringers, including a number that won't make the team. All of this is to say, he's been even or slightly better than his competition (Smith) for the starting job and he played well as the starting QB to end the 2008 year. Based on that, he should be the starter.

Third, is this any different than how Hill played last year in the pre-season when he was outplayed by O'Sullivan and a still injured Smith? To the extent 49er fans believe in Hill, you have to accept that this isn't his strength. He's shown he plays his best in games that count with game planning, etc.

Fourth, Hill should be the starter AND 49er fans should be nervous...but not because of how he has played in the pre-season. Its clear the 49ers coaches and front office are "nervous" about the QB position given the flirtations with Warner, Cutler and Sanchez during the off-season. The biggest key to this season is figuring out whether one of the QBs on the roster can be the QB of the present and the future or if the 49ers need to go get another QB in the 2010 draft by way of 1 or both of their 1st round picks.
I don't feel the magic. I'm sorry. But don't listen to me, because I was mad when Montana took over for DeBerg....

Hey, I agree, you just asked what has caused such name calling. I think both names are ridiculous. I don’t use either of them. I was merely pointing out a double standard.

I think this thread is stupid anyway. Should Singletary really be our coach? Should Jed York really be our president? .....

Have faith and wait it out. To early to tell.
  • DROB
  • Info N/A
Hell No we need someone who can make a ten yard pass
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I don't feel the magic. I'm sorry. But don't listen to me, because I was mad when Montana took over for DeBerg....

Can you imagine in an alternate universe...There are 58 seconds left. It is third down on the Dallas 6 yard line. DeBerg rolls right, he pumps once, rolling, rolling, and he fires a pass right into the arms of Everson Walls. I don't know what receiver he was throwing to!!!! The Cowboys are going back to the Super Bowl....

Originally posted by BSofSF:

I am concerned with Hill and his "noodle arm" because his arm appears even weaker this season than last, just from watching the pre-season games.

Hill has the mental make-up of a winner, we all like that....

However, with Hill being 29 and going on 30 years of age in addition to his so, so arm strength, I think there is valid reason for concern.

Lastly, Hill has never started and thrown a full 16 game scheduled in his entire NFL career, this we be the first time for Hill. Will his arm last the entire schedule without some wear?

[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 31, 2009 at 16:11:53 ]
Hill isn't the future but he's the best we have right now. The last thing we need is to throw Nate in there and destroy his confidence. There is nothing worse than a QB that starts to second guess himself.
Originally posted by mutt_pinoy:
Hill isn't the future but he's the best we have right now. The last thing we need is to throw Nate in there and destroy his confidence. There is nothing worse than a QB that starts to second guess himself.

The 9ers organization of all people should recognize that... uh hum >Alex
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigMar:

What happen to the carry over rythm from the last 8 games of 2008 season?

Did it just disappear?

Hill worked with all these WR's since 2008 season...except "Mr.Cashtree"

To be fair, Alex did not.... im just saying.

Don't worry, once he gets some good pratices in as the only starter, his last 8 game play will come out again.

Hey, he may not be a world beater but it sure beats having a bunch of 3 and outs.

im seeing a bunch so far. and preseason smeseason. if he cant do it when its easier tell me please why on "real" games
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mutt_pinoy:

i really dont think so. his arm will limit our team period. stack the box. then what do we expect frank to do it by himself with the box stacked. nate davis is more poised period. more accurate period. and throws freakin 70 yards! with his dyslexia, and practically no reps at all during offseason, he has easily out thrown hill. dont give me 3rd string bulls**t. he hits the numbers!!!!! no one else is. I think he is a better leader 2. we got the td to seal cause of his leadership!
Share 49ersWebzone