Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Hopefully this is the awnser...

Vanilla

Hey, I actually found that (turned out to be Alex Smith's) statement from 2007:

Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

But hey, it's just preseason, right?

Hopefully!!!!

That was all under Nolan so that's totally different. Mike has bakced up his word with wins so until he proves otherwise I will give him my Niner faith.

How's that totally different. Singletary was Nolan's protoge! They believe in the same things, that is, a team that is big, physical and stupid (fine, i added that latter. It's still true).

Nolan also managed to win meaningless games and finish 7-9. And with INFERIOR talent. He was crap, no question about it. But is not like we cut ties with his philosophy.

Disagree here. Sing is about execution. Which Nolan never mentioned. If you listen to the good teams and what their Head Coach talks about is execution. If you didn't execute under Nolan we just left you in their till you did. Sing benches your a$$ for some one that will. SIng is a far different coach than Nolan. Nolan never was about just running the ball. His first OC was an WCO guy.

I think you're giving Singletary way too much credit and Nolan too little. Nolan was about running the ball. He always stressed that. The fact that his first OC was a WCO guy was more due to circumstance than anythign else.

And don't forget Nolan did bench guys who weren't executing. Remeber during the second half of the 2006 season when he benched the SS (forgot who he was) in favor of Keith lewis and Jeff Ulbrich in favor of Brandon Moore and the team managed to win several meaningless games (just like with Singletary)?

Singletary IS light years in front of Nolan when it comes to leadership skills. But that's about it. For the most part, Singletary seems to be Nolan with a lot more melanin (I hope he proves me wrong).

Circumstance? His next OC ran the Coryell then we hired Martz. Nolan never really gave much thought to the offense, his main staple was to try and implement his hybrid defense. Every coach loves to run the ball well as did Nolan. Singletary was to smash people in the mouth. There is a difference there. All of Sings games weren't meaningless. We were A YARD away from the playoffs. Thats not meaningless. Every game after that counted cause you neven know when the Cards will fold.

Nolan did bench guys, after it was way too late. Mike doesn't wait. Like when he benched JTO. I think the SS was Parrish wasn't it? Nolan was stubborn and didn't hold players accountable for thier mistakes. He doesn't hold himself accountable for his mistakes due to his pride and that was his downfall.

PARRISH! How could I forget? Anyway, Nolan was crap, I'm not arguiung that. I'm arguing that Singletary isn't that much of an improvement.

Norv Turner's offense is much, much different than the Coryell's original offense. He is a run-oriented coach. Look for the Cowboys stats. I believe Troy Aikaman never averaged more than 200 yards per game during a season. Not only that, remeber his playcalling? Run, Run, pass? Then came Hostler and when Martz came in, everyone knew it was a desperation measure. He KNEW he had to improve the offense to remain as a HC so he was willing to do whatever was necessary.

You're right, Singletary is a MUCH better leader. But that alone is not enough to make him a good HC.
Hopefully this is the awnser...

Vanilla

Hey, I actually found that (turned out to be Alex Smith's) statement from 2007:

Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

But hey, it's just preseason, right?

Hopefully!!!!

That was all under Nolan so that's totally different. Mike has bakced up his word with wins so until he proves otherwise I will give him my Niner faith.

How's that totally different. Singletary was Nolan's protoge! They believe in the same things, that is, a team that is big, physical and stupid (fine, i added that latter. It's still true).

Nolan also managed to win meaningless games and finish 7-9. And with INFERIOR talent. He was crap, no question about it. But is not like we cut ties with his philosophy.

Disagree here. Sing is about execution. Which Nolan never mentioned. If you listen to the good teams and what their Head Coach talks about is execution. If you didn't execute under Nolan we just left you in their till you did. Sing benches your a$$ for some one that will. SIng is a far different coach than Nolan. Nolan never was about just running the ball. His first OC was an WCO guy.

I think you're giving Singletary way too much credit and Nolan too little. Nolan was about running the ball. He always stressed that. The fact that his first OC was a WCO guy was more due to circumstance than anythign else.

And don't forget Nolan did bench guys who weren't executing. Remeber during the second half of the 2006 season when he benched the SS (forgot who he was) in favor of Keith lewis and Jeff Ulbrich in favor of Brandon Moore and the team managed to win several meaningless games (just like with Singletary)?

Singletary IS light years in front of Nolan when it comes to leadership skills. But that's about it. For the most part, Singletary seems to be Nolan with a lot more melanin (I hope he proves me wrong).

Circumstance? His next OC ran the Coryell then we hired Martz. Nolan never really gave much thought to the offense, his main staple was to try and implement his hybrid defense. Every coach loves to run the ball well as did Nolan. Singletary was to smash people in the mouth. There is a difference there. All of Sings games weren't meaningless. We were A YARD away from the playoffs. Thats not meaningless. Every game after that counted cause you neven know when the Cards will fold.

Nolan did bench guys, after it was way too late. Mike doesn't wait. Like when he benched JTO. I think the SS was Parrish wasn't it? Nolan was stubborn and didn't hold players accountable for thier mistakes. He doesn't hold himself accountable for his mistakes due to his pride and that was his downfall.

PARRISH! How could I forget? Anyway, Nolan was crap, I'm not arguiung that. I'm arguing that Singletary isn't that much of an improvement.

Norv Turner's offense is much, much different than the Coryell's original offense. He is a run-oriented coach. Look for the Cowboys stats. I believe Troy Aikaman never averaged more than 200 yards per game during a season. Not only that, remeber his playcalling? Run, Run, pass? Then came Hostler and when Martz came in, everyone knew it was a desperation measure. He KNEW he had to improve the offense to remain as a HC so he was willing to do whatever was necessary.

You're right, Singletary is a MUCH better leader. But that alone is not enough to make him a good HC.

Being a HOF LB'er I would think he knows how gameplan also. I'm not saying he is great at it but people talk like its non-existant. Just because he wasn't an OC or DC doesn't mean he can't gameplan for a game. I think he has been under appreciated from that sense. I think people get the misconception because of his smash mouth statement that his gameplan is just that, when I'm confident it goes farther than that. IDK. I just know that if we build off last year and get Crabs into a niner uniform we will be a better team that last year and last year we weren't that far from the playoffs.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
We should have ran more screens
So far I think the biggest problem of the offense is the Wr's aren't getting open.
Originally posted by lamontb:
So far I think the biggest problem of the offense is the Wr's aren't getting open.

I say it is more the pass protection and the play calling....

the play calling might change when the season starts....

but missed blocks on 3rd downs by Chilo Rachal and Glen Coffee/M. Robinson might not....that is the problem....

if we are going to be running on 1st and 2nd down on alot of occasions then we need to be on point on our 3rd down passing scenarios....

everyone has to be perfect unfortunately.....the oline, the RBs, Shaun, and the receivers.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:31:18 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
watching this replay again.....those wild cat plays really hindered our drives.....on was on 3rd and long...after we were driving down field.... and the second was on 2nd and long....with no positive yards really...

this is why I feel, like ours have said, don't put too much into this game or the other preseason games as far as play calling....because I'd doubt we would do this during the regular season.....I mean we ran the same wild taser thingy 3 times.....same direction and all.

I swear to God, I do not want to see this play call when the game is close....or if we are behind.... if we have to pull this thing out...we better be up by two scores.

Raye probably didn't want to do more than just get the guys lined up and used to the formation. Obviously there are lots of things that can be run off of it that he didn't want to show.

I do want to see this and other unorthodox plays called at different times in the game. They make the defense think. Seems to be better than the standard plays every defense has seen a thousand times. Those are the plays you run when you are up two scores.
Share 49ersWebzone