LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Hope she's right...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

I think we have kept it vanilla, but that could be the homer in me...
  • MadManManny32
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on.

It's getting old.
Agreed, I hope that this is the case also! We'll see come September in Arizona?
hope so because last nights gm was disgustingly bad offense wise and that drive the cowboys had from their own 5 to score was horrible as well. there was nothing vanilla about our sorry pass protection and hill's bad throws
I'll believe it when I see it.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on.

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

You know, if there's something I'm good at is remembering stuff. And I remember during the 2007 preseason people using the vanilla excuse to explain the poor performance of Hostler's offense saying that he did not open the playbook (Nolan seconded that, naturally).

Then came Smith or Hill and said this (more or less): "It's true that is a bit vanilla. At the same time, that's our base offense. If we can't execute that, we'll be in trouble when it's time to open up the playbook".

Prophetic, huh?
  • rob28
  • Veteran
i hope so too because ive been bashing this team
Hey, I actually found that (turned out to be Alex Smith's) statement from 2007:

Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

But hey, it's just preseason, right?

We have better players than the past few years so there is no excuse for poor play except lack of execution. Quarterback play had better improve because Hill has looked much worse than last year to this point. 7-3 don't mean squat if you cannot hit a receiver now.

Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

I want a good offense damnit!!!

LINK

Thats depressing and scary

• rob28
  • Veteran
nice pass hill to battle

It's getting old.

You know, if there's something I'm good at is remembering stuff. And I remember during the 2007 preseason people using the vanilla excuse to explain the poor performance of Hostler's offense saying that he did not open the playbook (Nolan seconded that, naturally).

Then came Smith or Hill and said this (more or less): "It's true that is a bit vanilla. At the same time, that's our base offense. If we can't execute that, we'll be in trouble when it's time to open up the playbook".

Prophetic, huh?

Very good point. YIKES!!! The only difference I notice then from now is we aren't using our play action, and our guys are open Hills just not making the throws. Our defense had a pass rush after Nolan was canned, so honestly I'm not to worried about that. I dont see us declining due to the fact we didn't lose anyone on the D'line and Balmer looks like a beast. Our offense has ran the ball great, which really sets up the play action and we haven't used it but a couple of times so I would truly have to believe that it will be used during the season. Hopefully she's right and your inaccurate with this post. Respectively.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone